1/48 F-14B, VF-142 AG200 GWH

Looking forward to your ghostrider! I built the same jet a year or so ago with the tamiya kit. The late B model ghostriders are so cool.

Will you be using aftermarket parts? The GWH kit does not have everything you need for your jet. 

Edited by tomthegrom
6 hours ago, tomthegrom said:

Looking forward to your ghostrider! I built the same jet a year or so ago with the tamiya kit. The late B model ghostriders are so cool.

Will you be using aftermarket parts? The GWH kit does not have everything you need for your jet. 

I'm planning to do improvements with some 3D print, and a few aftermarkets of course.
But, wich part don´t come in the kit to make the F-14B VF-142 late acurate? I think it come all the stuff.
Greetings

That ghost rider jet is an early B so it should not have the HUD. The RIOs screen is the round one not the square PTID. The RIOS boarding step did not have the reinforcement plate. Can't remember what else there is. The cool thing is that VF142 was dropping bombs at that time so you can put all sorts of cool MK80 series weapons and CBU. I put Mk82 snakeyes on mine.

6 hours ago, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

I'm planning to do improvements with some 3D print, and a few aftermarkets of course.
But, wich part don´t come in the kit to make the F-14B VF-142 late acurate? I think it come all the stuff.
Greetings

10 hours ago, tomthegrom said:

That ghost rider jet is an early B so it should not have the HUD. The RIOs screen is the round one not the square PTID. The RIOS boarding step did not have the reinforcement plate. Can't remember what else there is. The cool thing is that VF142 was dropping bombs at that time so you can put all sorts of cool MK80 series weapons and CBU. I put Mk82 snakeyes on mine.

All that stuff came in the box, just a minor work and is fine.
Do you have pictures of your VF-142?

On 7/20/2023 at 5:45 AM, tomthegrom said:

I'd assume your building BUNO. 162926 from that sheet ?? She did have the reinforcement plate around the RIO's step. What you will need to eliminate are the raised areas around the cooling vents for the horizontal stabilizers hydraulic actuators, pic #1 of the sprue shots you shared, they are flush.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Hi Steve 

I built the 1994 version from the furball jet as it was seen at the D Day celebrations in England. The photos I used show the jet does not have the RIOs step reinforcement plate. They came later on I believe.  The detail and scale book has a nice photo of 162926 as a ghostrider and it definitely does not have the reinforcement plate at that time. 

Here is a link to a photo of 162926 AG200

F-14B VF-142

Cheers 

Tom

Edited by tomthegrom

Greetings Tom,

Thanks for sharing this photo, never saw that one before. I have to agree with you about the plate. Some of the pics I found while doing my research seemed to show the plate. I've already made the correction in my files.

We need some decals for 142 line jets in those markings for sure !!

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

On 7/18/2023 at 6:43 AM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Very well, Manuel!

First fella in the forums to start building one of these new kits.

Let me be the first one to pull a chair to see progress on it.

Congratulations, my mate!

Cheers,

Gwen

Hey Gwen,  Glad to see your post!  I sent you a PM a few minutes ago...please  let me know if you got it.  Curt

Also, I'm really interested in how this build compares to the Tamiya F-14A/D.  @Manuel J. Armas S.have you built any of the Tamiya F-14s?  I would love to hear how the build experience compares. Is the fit on par with Tamiya, or even close?  

Edited by Curt B
On 8/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, Curt B said:

Hey Gwen,  Glad to see your post!  I sent you a PM a few minutes ago...please  let me know if you got it.  Curt

Also, I'm really interested in how this build compares to the Tamiya F-14A/D.  @Manuel J. Armas S.have you built any of the Tamiya F-14s?  I would love to hear how the build experience compares. Is the fit on par with Tamiya, or even close?  

Hello Curt, I build a few F-14 from Tamiya...

Greetings...

2 hours ago, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

Cool, Manuel, thanks for the response.  How would you compare the GWH to the Tamiya F-14 building experience thus far??  I'm really curious!!

Cool, Manuel, thanks for the response.  How would you compare the GWH to the Tamiya F-14 building experience thus far??  I'm really curious!!

On 8/14/2023 at 10:37 PM, Curt B said:

well, I´m still working on F-14B GWH, this one have nice details, great fit, but some areas need some work, is near to Tamiya kit, I have to wait to finish it to better compare.

Now I have a little step more, I paint the cutlas skull, I made a template with the 3D printer, it works awesome, check this out.

53128190587_798fb9fdc9_o.jpg

53129191340_a0d99db024_o.jpg

53128992074_8c98e559b2_o.jpg