RC-135U Combat Sent 1:72

Hello everybody.

A new project has started. It will be an RC-135U Combat Sent. Since there is no conversion kit for it, I have to make it myself. I have finished the first parts so that I can start the construction. The basic kit is the AMT/Ertel KC-135R. A note for the construction: The self-made parts for the conversion kit do not claim to be correct or have exact dimensions. Please make your own judgement.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Hello, thank you very much for your comments, very kind.

For Youngtiger1: Yes, I would like to build a few more of the 135 recce versions. I don't have a cabinet. My models are stored in plywood boxes.

Today I received the LTV side cheeks from Air Graphic Models. On AGM's shop page you can't see which cheeks they are, but they are said to be for a late RC-135 (RAF/USAF). I had the feeling that it is a copy of the Spectre parts and thus not usable for a late RC-135S/U/V/W, or difficult to convert. And it is, like other stuff from AGM. The quality is just bad and the dimensions are a bit too short. I would not offer such a quality, or at least with a note that rework is required. Now I've made a decision: I'll make new, up-to-date cheeks. It's a lot of work, but I think it will be worth it. Stay tuned.

Cheeks.jpg

Cheeks1.jpg

Cheeks2.jpg

Cheeks3.jpg

On 8/16/2023 at 11:50 PM, Trojan Thunder said:

Nice start Jost.

I still have the review model which I built for SAM using that set, back in 1998 - I started paint-stripping it a few years ago in order to refurbish in white over grey, but it's sat untouched since, mainly because I've nowhere here to put it (or any of my many other big Boeings!)...

2 minutes ago, AWACS-RESIN said:

Today I received the LTV side cheeks from Air Graphic Models. On AGM's shop page you can't see which cheeks they are, but they are said to be for a late RC-135 (RAF/USAF). I had the feeling that it is a copy of the Spectre parts and thus not usable for a late RC-135S/U/V/W, or difficult to convert. And it is, like other stuff from AGM. The quality is just bad and the dimensions are a bit too short. I would not offer such a quality, or at least with a note that rework is required. Now I've made a decision: I'll make new, up-to-date cheeks. It's a lot of work, but I think it will be worth it. Stay tuned.

That is fairly appalling - have you sent him copies of the photos, and tried asking for a replacement or refund? Doesn't entirely solve the problem of them being too short, but if you were to get a better moulded one, it would offer the option to insert a spacer or two to correct the length, rather than have to start from scratch...

On 8/18/2023 at 2:41 PM, andyf117 said:

I still have the review model which I built for SAM using that set, back in 1998 - I started paint-stripping it a few years ago in order to refurbish in white over grey, but it's sat untouched since, mainly because I've nowhere here to put it (or any of my many other big Boeings!)...

That is fairly appalling - have you sent him copies of the photos, and tried asking for a replacement or refund? Doesn't entirely solve the problem of them being too short, but if you were to get a better moulded one, it would offer the option to insert a spacer or two to correct the length, rather than have to start from scratch...

Well, sending back to GB is costly and needs customs declaration. So the postage would eat up 65% of the refund. Maybe I’ll use it on a RC-135W later. If you compare the parts with good pics of the Spectre Cheeks, you will the the same poor quality. Means the quality doesn’t get better. If you copy bad quality, it stay’s bad quality. My new cheeks are already pretty far ahead and I can make a mold this week.

Thanks and cheers 

3 hours ago, Trooper111 said:

I built an RC-135U (847) while I had been in the Air Force for only 13 years... I retired after my 20 in 2009, so I calculate it was built sometime in 2002. Obviously before the turbofan engines of today's era.  check it out here...

1/72 AMT RC-135U by Trooper McVey (arcair.com)

Looks good. I’ve seen your model already some time ago. The Maintrack set contained the parts for the early version. The tail on later U‘s is a bit different. I make all required parts for a late version myself. Later maybe also for the early version you build. I had to decide, which tail I will build. The panel layout on the cheeks shows miner differences. I will build 849. 

New cheeks are finished and installed. Also a bit more work on the fuselage and vertical stabilizer. By the Way: The reason why the vert. stab was removed earlier from the fuselage is, that the idea came up to make  a mold and cast a couple stabs to use some of the Caracal 135 tail decals. I might put some pics up later in the display case.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Edited by AWACS-RESIN
38 minutes ago, AWACS-RESIN said:

New cheeks are finished and installed. Also a bit more work on the fuselage and vertical stabilizer. By the Way: The reason why the vert. stab was removed earlier from the fuselage is, that the idea came up to make  a mold and cast a couple stabs to use some of the Caracal 135 tail decals. I might put some pics up later in the display case.

I love this idea for doing up a display of various tail markings using actual tails.   I've thought about this very thing using other types of aircraft.   Can't wait to see your display.

Keep up the great work on this RC.   I have one in 1/144 I'm converting from the Roden Rivet Joint kit.

57 minutes ago, Trooper111 said:

AWACS-RESIN Sir,

What is your reference for those antenna placements.

Can you share your photos with the rest of us ambitious modelers as well please.

Hi Trooper111,

My reference is Airfighter.com ( https://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?cra=2084 ) where you can find a lot of good photos of the RC versions. Also this side of a walk around on an RC-135W,  http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/waRC135no1.html  

I print out good photos, take the measurements of the aircraft in the pic, then the measurements of the 1:72 model and now calculate the magnification. Example: Length of the plane in the photo is 27.5 cm. Length of the model is 57 cm. Formula: 57x100 divided by 27.5 gives 207% magnification. Now you can take the individual dimensions and spacing of the antennas, for example. Can not share those pics due to the copyright of the people.

Wow, look at all those antennas. My clumsy hands be knocking them off one by one while handling this bad boy.

Btw, I have had a set of those AGM cheeks and yeah they are not the best. l hope you have dames your molds 😁

Edited by Youngtiger1