Mastinox (exposed)

Just started Working as a aircraft apprentice, sadly my work is slagging a little with safety in hangar and safety Around the greases… 

today we changed engine on a doenir 328 were i took a bolt out and was exposed to mastinox on the bolt, Got it on my fingers No protection of mask or gloves, i washed my fingers 2-4 times afterwards, but im bit angry since no mechanic informs me about the danger of mastinox, i can fell my fingers is hot after been exposed to it and my skin is irritated after. 

i learned from my mistake but is there any afterwards effects, with skin contact. 
The company workers sadly didnt inform me very Well, just found out today how dangerous these greases are. 

can somebody give some advise how to handle these situations? 

posted some pictures of it, the bolt had some on it. 

i know its wrong Forum to ask about but i Can simply not find Any information on this or Any advise, hoping some Old Aircraft tech has some advise. 

IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_4757.jpeg

Edited by John-x

One would think any reputable company would keep the MSDS’s of all the substances they’re using on site. Especially one tasked with doing aircraft maintenance.  You then join a modeling forum in hopes someone here can help you with some grease you got on your finger?

Something smells fishy about this post…

You’ll be fine. Getting a bit on your hands once isn’t a big deal. Honestly, you’ll probably get into worse chemicals in the future if you stay in this industry.
That being said, you clearly want to minimize your exposure by wearing nitrile gloves and eye protection.  There’s enough hazards out there already without you upping the ante.

I’m actually disappointed that your coworkers didn’t give you a heads up about it beforehand or at the least toss you a pair of gloves.

We called it nastinox for a reason...

I think you'll find most materials associated with aviation maintenance tend to be pretty nasty in their own way. As has been mentioned, the MSDS will tell you exactly what you're in for. Which is why early on, I resorted to using barrier cream religiously and always had disposable gloves stashed anywhere I could fit them on my person or belongings.

This is what I did as good practice as I found that any exposure to hyd fluid, fuel, primers/paints, oils, lubricants, sealants, dust from composites/metal (the list goes on) wouldn't be an ideal situation for the short or long term. 

But, tread your own path. Best wishes in your career.

As someone who does EOSH work professionally, I'll chime in on this. 

OSHA 1910.1200 is the HAZCOM standard which this situation falls under.   It requires the employer to maintain MSDS (Now called SDS sheets) for all chemicals used in the workplace.   It is also required for the employer to train employees on the location of SDS sheets, how to read and understand the SDS, and the measures employees can take to protect themselves from these hazards, including specific procedures the employer has implemented to protect employees from exposure to hazardous chemicals, such as appropriate work practices, emergency procedures, and PPE used.  

You as the employee should have received some type of HAZCOM training when hired and then annually as required.  This training must be documented and I/A/W with the OSHA standards as a minimum.   

As for the recommendations above for nitrile gloves, it may be necessary for a glove that provides better protection, this information would be in the SDS sheet.   PPE is considered the last line of defense for safety.  If this chemical is as "bad" as it seems, the employer should be looking for a safer alternative if possible.    

They are also required to provide you with any required PPE for using the chemical at no cost 

Yeah you handle these situations by not putting yourself into them.

I assume that during your induction to the company you were given a talk about the hazards of the chemicals you will be working with.
I would suggest you take those warnings as all substances you touch will be harmful to you in some way. Never touch anything without your gloves on.

If they dont provide you with work gloves (which they are legally obliged to do) then get some yourself, because you will regret it if you dont.

I work with chemicals ever single day at work, and even on days when Im not working with them directly I do indirectly as somebody else is and in that case even though Im not directly involved in their use then there is a chance I could come into contact with them and over the years Ive learnt that nobody cares if you come into contact with them.

So I go out of my way to wear the PPE provided even when I shouldnt need it because Im not invloved in the wet process.

As I work as a process trainer I have seen that most of the skin contaminations are by new starters. And those that arent are contaminations because somebody didnt do their job properly in cleaning up after themselves.

Always assume you will get hurt in some way by touching something and protect yourself.