Low speed Dremel tool..

Hello gang,

I need some recommendations for very low rpm electric hobby tools with Dremel style chucks. My beloved but old Dremel model 298 has a range from 5000-33000 rpm. but the low end 5K is way too high to work on plastics without endangering meltdown for example when using sanding wheels inside cowlings to remove plastic. I`ve been out of touch with these types of electric tools for a long time so i don`t really know what is available these days. Just leaned back and enjoyed my model 298 which has not failed me yet even though it`s very old now. 

Has anyone tried the model 9100...the one with a pedal? It says in the description 0-35000 rpm. Not really a foot pedal guy though. I see the Dremel micro is minimum 5K rpm.

I have had the Dremel Micro 8050 for many years. Best tool ever for modelling. The book says it's lowest speed is 5000 rpm...I don't believe it. It's more like 500 rpm. You won't melt plastic at it's lowest speed and it holds a charge for a long time. :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, airmechaja said:

I have had the Dremel Micro 8050 for many years. Best tool ever for modelling. The book says it's lowest speed is 5000 rpm...I don't believe it. It's more like 500 rpm. You won't melt plastic at it's lowest speed and it holds a charge for a long time. :thumbsup:

I have the same tool and agree with your recommendation. 

I too have the Dremel 8050. For years, at least 40, I used a corded Dremel with Dremel’s speed control unit that could slow it down to almost 0 RPM, my only gripe was the lack of torque at slow speeds. Perhaps five or six years ago I got the battery powered 8050, I’m not a heavy user of the tool so I have probably only recharged the battery twice. Like John said the slowest indicated speed is 5000RPM, although again, echoing John, it doesn’t it really is seem that fast and as I use it mostly just for drill holes or gentle grinding, I’ve not melted any plastic yet. Battery operated means no cord to get awkward as I work on a project.

3 minutes ago, breadneck said:

That's the person I bought mine from- Troy Mollitor. He's an excellent seller- I'm a member at Large Scale Planes and bought directly from him.  He's always ready to answer any questions you might have about the products.

• 2 weeks later...