Hi all,

I have built models since 70's and I have noticed one thing. Tamiya is way ahead of others in terns of engineering and fit. Of course they put out some so not accurate models but in terms of fit, they are second to none. I know there are some companies inching toward Tamitya in term of fit/engineering but to me it seems Tamiya's fit /engineering still cannot be touched. So if you agree, what makes them so good and others cannot come close (although very close) ? Technology, talented minds, secret software... ? My inquiring mind wants to know. Dai 

Edited by dai phan
43 minutes ago, dai phan said:

what makes them so good and others cannot come close (although very close) ? Technology, talented minds, secret software... ?

That is a question which likely Tamiya are the only ones who can provide an actual answer, while all we can do is speculate.

1974 is the year I built my first Tamiya model. Built many more of their armor and figure kits than their aircraft. Built 1 automobile kit, the Alitalia Lancia Stratos rally with the battery motor. It did several miles up and down the college dorm hallway. Bought a couple Porsche racers at clearance prices in the 1980s and cut them up for sci fi model parts. 

Anyway, I expect a generalized answer might go something like, because will, skill, and, focus.

Oh ...

Remember an early 2000s article in Model Retailer magazine where it was recounted that when the elder Mr. Tamiya was asked which pronunciation of the name was correct, tam-eeeeuh or tuhm-eye-uh, his answer was that you could pronounce the name any way you wanted as long as you purchased his product. 😄

I built the Arma  Ki-84 Hayate and it fit like legos ... I think I only used sandpaper where I used too much glue.  So yes, other companies are  able to reach a similar level of quality. 

I can only guess Tamiya puts a lot of extra effort in to the design, and refinement of their model kits, far more than most manufacturers. They hold themselves to a higher standard. This attention to detail is also apparent in the packaging, and presentation of the kit,  and the full color marking guide. 

9 hours ago, Cat Barf said:

I think that their choice of aircraft subjects is kind of boring. 

True. They always stay with normal subjects like Mustangs, Zero, 109... but their engineering is untouchable. And that is what we are talking about here. Dai 

I’ve gotta agree.  I’ve enjoyed all the 1/32 Phantoms I’ve built and a lot more to go.  I am a little disappointed in the intake design so I turn to aftermarket to fix it.   Yea, there are a few other inaccuracies that could be corrected, but unless you’re a Phantom Phreak you would probably never notice.  
Also have the 1/32 Corsair and Spitfire kits I need to get on. 

Apparently Tamiya feels the market is no longer there for 1/32 after low sales on the Mosquito kit.  But my understanding is they over engineered it to the point of taking the fun out of the build.  
I wish they would give us 1/32 guys another shot with a basic kit without too many bells and whistles. 

2 hours ago, dai phan said:

True. They always stay with normal subjects like Mustangs, Zero, 109... but their engineering is untouchable. And that is what we are talking about here. Dai 

Yeah, they'd never do something odd like a He-219 or Fiesler Storch or a Dinah or a Skyray.  Oh, wait...

8 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Yeah, they'd never do something odd like a He-219 or Fiesler Storch or a Dinah or a Skyray.  Oh, wait...

Yes in deed but not like other companies. For the most parts they are a conservative company. Dai 

3 hours ago, dai phan said:

This may be true, but some of their "normal" kits are still the only ones on the market that are worth building.  Also as Joe pointed out, they have some kits that haven't been produced my other manufacturers.   They really are the only ones to have a 1/48 Skyraider that's any good,  their Corsairs are still some of the best kits (verdict is still out on the magic factory).  

But to your original point, I think that Tamiya can put the time and effort into their plastic models because their RC car lines make them a lot of money.  I think that a lot of kit manufacturers have to "rush" kits to the market to help pay the bills.  I think Eduard is getting close to Tamiya, and their aftermarket parts help offset the cost of the kits.   

12 hours ago, Cat Barf said:

I think that their choice of aircraft subjects is kind of boring. 

True to that. How about Mig 15 (their is inaccurate), 17, 19? When Ammo came out with the 17, I thought that is the definitive 17 kit but not so. Just barely above Hobby Boss. I would LOVE to build Tamiya's kits and nothing else but their repertoire is limited. Dai 

On 10/29/2023 at 7:16 AM, airmechaja said:

Tamiya's F-4B was their finest engineered kit until now. I just finished the F-35A Lightning II and it is brilliant! I have never built a aircraft kit like this one. Tamiya leads the way for airplane kits.

I'm building the F-4B right now and have most of the major assembly complete.  Some parts of the assembly are very smooth and support the "finest engineered kit" label.  But overall, it's absurdly over-engineered.  This over-engineering leads to fit issues.  Steps at certain joints are hard to avoid with the spine, intakes, outer wing inserts, and nose cone.