Which is the best f 111 aardvark kit

I can't see the pic you attempted to post. You might try linking it using the icon between the strikeout an quote icons when you post. I'll try that here. (Which didn't work either--before you look.)

As for the best kit, the old 1:72 Hasagawa kits are your best bet. You'll probably need to go on e-bay to find one. Their errors are minimal. The 1:48 kits on the other hand are train-wrecks that need lots of aftermarket to be accurate.

Edited by mrvark

That’s an F-111C showing what’s possible to load on a jet. NO operational F-111 ever flew like this, the outboard hard points were never used; the next to outboard hard points were only used to carry fuel tanks by SAC FB-111As and were fixed at the 26 degree sweep back setting. Operational jets only used the four inboard most pylons, which swiveled to all sweep back angles.

Ditto to mrvark. The 1/72nd Hasegawa kits are the best. The instructions in them have you put tanks on the wings regardless of the version you're building. No tanks on A's, D's or EF's. 

Great airplane! The reds were scared to death of the E's and F's based in England.

JMHO

DET1460

However, you will have to purchase the bombs separately, as they do not come in the Hasegawa F-111 kits. You get four wing tanks and 4x Durandel in all of the releases, plus 20mm gun / 1x laser pod in the D/F releases.  

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jon Krol said:

Been thinking about getting a 1/48 F-111C to convert to a B, Navy version using the resin aftermarket parts from Reskit and Cat4. Which kit would be best to use, Academy or Hobby Boss?

I don't know about the Hobby Boss kit, but the Academy-Minicraft one was pretty good according to my notes from once upon a time except for the too-shallow main wheel wells and tail pipe interior and the lack of intake continuity back to the front of the engine. It provides the longer wing and the intake for 974 and a basis for the first four (the B intakes were always one iteration behind the A's). More detail on the configurations of the F-111Bs here: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2009/10/grumman-f-111b.html

37 minutes ago, Jon Krol said:

Been thinking about getting a 1/48 F-111C to convert to a B, Navy version using the resin aftermarket parts from Reskit and Cat4. Which kit would be best to use, Academy or Hobby Boss?

CAT4 state that their F-111B conversion set is “for Academy.”

264z5QN.jpg

Edited by RichB63

While the Hobby Boss kits have more pronounced panel lines, it has numerous flaws that just drive me nuts (bug-eyed canopy and flap vanes that have increased chord as they go outboard, etc.). The Academy kits are cheaper and look more like an F-111 in my opinion. Their canopies, while still a bit too wide are MUCH closer to correct than the HB kit's. The best place for a lot of F-111 aftermarket (including wheel wells) is OzMods. ResKit also does a lot of F-111 related aftermarket, as well.

While everyone has provided excellent info in their responses, I'm thinking the OP was a chatbot.  Joined on 11/13, made a single post, and hasn't been back on the forums since that date.  No acknowledgements, no follow up questions.... all red flags. 

I am not a bot. I've probably been on ARC longer than most here. Had to change my email address several years ago because I was hacked and couldn't get my account back. My former posts were under jpk and my email was krol@bellsouth.net. I went to Gmail after being unable to retrieve my account at Yahoo. I don't know where you got 11/13 and onl;y one post. I have quite a few posts. 

Edited by Jon Krol
4 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I don't know about the Hobby Boss kit, but the Academy-Minicraft one was pretty good according to my notes from once upon a time except for the too-shallow main wheel wells and tail pipe interior and the lack of intake continuity back to the front of the engine. It provides the longer wing and the intake for 974 and a basis for the first four (the B intakes were always one iteration behind the A's). More detail on the configurations of the F-111Bs here: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2009/10/grumman-f-111b.html

Hi Tommy. I have your Ginter monograph on the F-111B. Not too thick because of the limited existance of the subject but full of info. 

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

While everyone has provided excellent info in their responses, I'm thinking the OP was a chatbot.  Joined on 11/13, made a single post, and hasn't been back on the forums since that date.  No acknowledgements, no follow up questions.... all red flags. 

I apologize habu2. I thought you were refering to me. 

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

It does look like a chat bot, but in this case useful info has come up from the question. Well, wait and see on this one.

13 minutes ago, Jon Krol said:

Still, did someone make a resin main gear wheel well either for the HB or Acad F-111 kits?

OzMods (formerly Scaledown) do a resin F-111 Landing Gear Strut/Bay set for the Academy kit. I can’t speak to its quality or accuracy.

click here

6 hours ago, habu2 said:

To clarify, my comment was referring to 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/profile/65705-alix/

Edited by habu2
16 hours ago, Jon Krol said:

Hi Tommy. I have your Ginter monograph on the F-111B. Not too thick because of the limited existance of the subject but full of info. 

Thanks - I have some errata and additional information stuff for that monograph that I email on request but most of it is on one or the other of my blogs.