HASEGAWA F-86 MK 6 1/48 WITH KASL SLATS/FLAPS, VERLINDEN GUN BAYS, B&B RESIN DESIGN (AMS) SUGAR SCOOPS AND AIRES SEAT.

Howdy all,

The plane is now ready to be primed as I have installed another set of slats. This second time is much easier than the first and I will post some pictures showing the easiest way to install them. I just discovered Flightdecks in Canada produced F86 decals that has the scheme I want to build (Luftwaffe MK 6) and the decals come with a MUCH more accurate sugar scoops than the AMS ! Needless to say I ordered them right away. I will go ahead and prime the model/fix surface flaws then pay attention to the scoops after they are installed. These photos are from ARC and LF Models. Dai 

02.thumb.jpg.3e81237b88d8a314abb5192f2678ce57.jpg

FLD4804 (1).jpg

03.jpg

07.jpg

Edited by dai phan
5 hours ago, Snowbird3a said:

are you going to add the engine compartment vents on both sides of the fuselage, all Canadair Sabres had them.

Tony

Hi Tony, 

I do not think so because my skill is not adequate for any of scratch building job. Maybe you can guide me? A picture would be helpful. Dai 

Greetings to my modelers friends,

Just keeping you updated on some things. The Verlinden left bay is slightly short of the cut out so do not cut at the panel lines. Leave 1 mm for fine tuning. You can see I had to shim with sprues too.  The bottom gun bay is OK. The bond between this resin and plastic is very brittle so re-enforce with plastic strips at the joint lines with CA. Dai 

421539289_7069142379842658_1016498108370926667_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hi all,

When installing the slats, know the slats are shorter than the slat panel lines of the wing. So cut at the line toward the tip (the placement is correct- see red arrow) but leave 4 mm from the line nearest to the fuse. Also cut behind the line of 1 mm  (see red line) as this will place the slat base at the correct position in relative to the leading edge. Mine is slightly placed too forward as I discovered the error too late. Make sure you fine tune to get a best fit possible of the mating surfaces. This will minimize sanding so you do not lose the profile of the lower wing. I use straight sanding sticks 180 for rough sanding and fine tune with 400. I will look into using the Revell F86D slats as that may be easier than this job. Dai 

421684083_7069141439842752_4038025990471924827_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

The slat base is placed a little forward than it should be if you cut at the slat panel lines. The green line is where it should be. I may leave as is as the error is not that evident. The flaps cut out is easy and no issues noted. Any comments? Dai

PS: What I plan to do is adding very fine strip of stretched sprue at the leading edge, apply water based putty then sand smooth. I use Perfect Plastic Putty because it is water soluble and strong when dried. That way the procedure is reversible. That will cause a proper distance from the leading edge to the base of the slats. I think when I sanded the leading edges smooth, I may have overdone a bit.  

417457854_7067988453291384_806525331146555701_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan
8 hours ago, Snowbird3a said:

are you going to add the engine compartment vents on both sides of the fuselage, all Canadair Sabres had them.

Tony

You suggested adding the right fuel filler. To me it is impossible to scribe with that precision. I have hard time scribing straight line as is. Dai 

Hi all,

The German MK 6 has the Martin Baker seat so opening and closing of the canopy has a different path than the F-40. That means positioning the rear canopy straight back is not accurate then? This photo is from the link. Dai 

post-6446-1236678503.jpg

Hi all,

Some more from the link provide some insights into the MK 6. The MK 6 has much difference in fuselage panel lines. One interesting thing is on the German plane, the demarcation between the green and the grey is soft. But yet between this and the underside blue is hard. I wonder if this is due to restoration at the museum paint shop? If so during its operational life, that will make my painting much easier. Dai 

post-6446-1236536160.jpg

post-6446-1236675476.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Howdy,

The German MK 6 used Martin Baker ejection seat meaning the F-40 seat is not accurate. There are ample of 1/48 MB resin seats on the market so which one should I buy? Dai 

post-6446-1236677612.jpg

Edited by dai phan
5 hours ago, dai phan said:

Howdy,

The German MK 6 used Martin Baker ejection seat meaning the F-40 seat is not accurate. There are ample of 1/48 MB resin seats on the market so which one should I buy? Dai 

post-6446-1236677612.jpg

Are you sure all German Mk. 6 had the Martin Baker seat? I don’t think they did, only some…

Best use a photo of an actual airframe for your model.  Luftwaffe Sabres we’re delivered with a North American built ejection seat,  getting fitted with a MB seat later in their career.

On 1/24/2024 at 4:26 PM, Nathant said:

Are you sure all German Mk. 6 had the Martin Baker seat? I don’t think they did, only some…

from the Larry Milberry 'bible'; "no JG 73 Sabres received the Martin Baker Mk5 seat"

there are plenty of photos of Luftwaffe Sabres of all squadrons with the older NA seat

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a
13 hours ago, Snowbird3a said:

from the Larry Milberry 'bible'; "no JG 73 Sabres received the Martin Baker Mk5 seat"

there are plenty of photos of Luftwaffe Sabres of all squadrons with the older NA seat

Tony

How about JG 71? That is the scheme I plan to do as seen on the decal. Dai 

03.jpg.008c4c99895a973a6e07e77d040ca3f5.jpg

Edited by dai phan
7 hours ago, dai phan said:

How about JG 71? That is the scheme I plan to do as seen on the decal. Dai 

03.jpg.008c4c99895a973a6e07e77d040ca3f5.jpg

There is plenty photos of camo JG-71 Sabres with the older seat.   Still looking for pics of JA-120

Tony

Bear in mind that the Luftwaffe Sabre 6s had a different nose wheel, in that it did not have 'spokes' but more of a flat disc.

I am not aware of a aftermarket example in 1/48

Tony

12 hours ago, Snowbird3a said:

There is plenty photos of camo JG-71 Sabres with the older seat.   Still looking for pics of JA-120

Tony

There's a photo dated September 1961 of JA-120 on page 71 of the Squadron Signal F-86 Sabre Walk Around book #5521. with a natural metal JG71 Sabre in the background. JA-120 is taken from the rear 3/4 aspect but you can clearly see it has the original seat installed.

15 hours ago, Snowbird3a said:

Bear in mind that the Luftwaffe Sabre 6s had a different nose wheel, in that it did not have 'spokes' but more of a flat disc.

I am not aware of a aftermarket example in 1/48

Tony

Great point. I used a resin nose wheel meant for a T-33 from Reskit on my build. 

• dai phan changed the title to HASEGAWA F-86 MK 6 1/48 WITH KASL SLATS/FLAPS, VERLINDEN GUN BAYS, B&B RESIN DESIGN (AMS) SUGAR SCOOPS AND AIRES SEAT.