Twosair Twofer 1/72nd EA-7L & A-7K

Hello everyone,

Like I really need to start another In Progress thread, but here goes!

Last week I received some custom really nicely done 3D printed goodies in the mail. For the several EA-7L's that I wish to build I got some AN/ALE-41 chaff dispensing pods, and ALQ-170 Missile Simulator Pods. For the A-7K (and just about everything else), I got some BDU-33 practice bombs. I was so impressed with them that I had to hang them on something! Two of Hobby Boss's TA-7C kits will fit the bill. The kit is well known, as are its short comings. Mainly a somewhat squashed intake and canopy, and lousy weapons. Seeing as there is no easy fix for the "squashing" issues, I'm not going to worry about them and keep the builds simple. Also, there seems to be a similar issues with the exhaust section for which ResKit makes a very nice correction set. However, I won't be using that set as I don't have any on hand, and if I order them, and wait around for them to arrive, I'll have lost interest in this build. Yes, my attention span is that short 😂

So here's the details on what I'll be using for the...

EA-7L

Hobby Boss kit

Quickboost resin TA-7C parachute housing

Aires resin USN A-7 wheels (the kit wheels are pretty inaccurate)

Eduard TA-7C Zoom photo etch cockpit set (close enough to an EA-7L for me)

Eduard TA-7C canopy mask

3D printed ALQ-170 x1

Underwing fuel tank from a Fujimi A-4 to offset the ALQ-170 (the kits tanks are awful)

Fuselage mounted Sidewinder racks from the ESCI kit (the HB kits are bad)

Neomega resin SJU-7 ejection seats. These are not correct for the two seat Navy A-7s, but are far as I've been able to determine, no one has done the correct SJU-11/12 seats. I will tack them in lightly so in case someone does the correct seats in the future they can be easily changed out.

A-7K

Hobby Boss kit

Resin clones of the ESCI A-7D wheels (kindly given to me by a fellow ARC'er whose name I can't remember some years back. Thanks!)

MERs from the Academy F-8 kit

Fuselage mounted Sidewinder racks from an ESCI A-7D kit (the HB kits are bad)

Eduard TA-7C Zoom photo etch cockpit set (again, close enough for me to an A-7K)

Eduard TA-7C canopy mask

3D printed BDU-33 practice bombs x12

True Details resin ESCAPAC ejection seats. They're a little undersized, but I've used them in the past and they look okay.

I would like to note that the HB TA-7C kit has all of the parts needed for an ANG A-7K, so if you're looking for the A-7K kit and can't find it, the TA-7C has the exact same parts. As mentioned, the weapons are pretty useless, so I just tossed the entire bag of sprues. 

So here's the kits....    Fred K.

1810041289_EA-7L1.jpg

355639494_A-7K1.jpg

Edited by f5guy
2 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

If I may;

recommend you get the Quickboost TA-7C drag chute housing correction set since Hobby Boss messed up and didn't include it in the kit.

https://spruebrothers.com/qbt72216-1-72-quickboost-tc-7c-corsair-ii-drag-chute-housing-hbs-kit-72216/

Hi,

It's already listed in the list of goodies that I intend to use for the EA-7L. Definitely a big miss by HB! Thanks, Fred.

19 hours ago, f5guy said:

Hi,

It's already listed in the list of goodies that I intend to use for the EA-7L. Definitely a big miss by HB! Thanks, Fred.

Whoops, didn't see that in your first post. 👍

Hi everyone,

Time for an update. 

I got all of the internal parts painted up and installed on both jets. I cut the rear end of the intake trunks out to allow me to sand the inside of the intake from both ends. For the EA-7L the interior of the intake is white. A big hole at the end of it might be noticeable, so I took half of a Hasegawa S-3 intake fan, and glued it to the rear of the trunk , so when you look in, you can see fan blades. For the A-7K the interior color is the same as the exterior paint scheme.... gunship grey. Once painted up its so dark in there that you can't see a thing anyway, so I just left it open. 

I trimmed up a few area's for better fit of the fuselage halves, but still ended up with some gaps, and tight fit, especially around the nose section. Nothing some super glue and sanding won't take care of. All for now. Fred.

20240116_140900.jpg

On 1/12/2024 at 6:54 AM, SERNAK said:

OK now this is going to be a joy to watch because Fred has accustomed us to his very good constructions!!!

Thanks! But don't look too closely 😆 Fred.

6 hours ago, f5guy said:

Thanks! But don't look too closely 😆 Fred.

Yeah.  I'm more of the Larry the Cable Guy builder, "Get 'er done!"  Great work, Fred. K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
11 hours ago, Dutch said:

Yeah.  I'm more of the Larry the Cable Guy builder, "Get 'er done!"  Great work, Fred. K/r, Dutch

Hi Dutch!

Well I will certainly do my best with the kits, but whether they'll see a contest or not remains to be seen. I generally don't build for contests as it takes the fun away for me, but if something turns out well enough, it might get entered. I'm mainly building these two just to hang some neat weapons on 😉 Regards, Fred.

Edited by f5guy
3 hours ago, habu2 said:

This thread reminded me I have the old Precision Enterprises conversion kits for the Two-sairs in my stash.

Huh.... I've never heard of that brand before. I did attempt an RVHP resin conversion EA-7L many years ago.... in fact, the decals that I'm going to use come mostly from that set. However, I could never get all of the pin holes in the resin filled to my satisfaction, so the whole thing got chucked out. Hopefully the PE set you have is better. If it's that old, I'm guessing its not 🤣 Fred.