They announced it last July, I don't think they are shipping it yet. Atlantis has been busy with cars and figures, perhaps aircraft aren't a priority (perhaps due to sales?).

Remember, just because a kit is old or odd scale doesn't mean its bad. Not everything needs to be a huge superb detailed kit.

From what I hear, the Revell kit was the best of the old Hustler kits. I haven't seen one built since I was a kid.

It makes into a fairly large model.

Edited by JohnEB
Correct date
  • 1 month later...

It will probably come down to whether the markings were etched into the mold.

If it is, Atlantis doesn't do alternate markings for obvious reasons.

But the box art shows an AC in test as well as operational colors. So.....

I'm too young to remember the kit, so I don't have a definitive answer. But the date of the original kit suggests it probably does have the engravings.

(However, in one kit, their S2F, they provided an alternate set in different colors so you could build the aircraft in early service blue (white decals) or the later gray/white scheme with black decals).

The good news is the basic decals should suffice for most B-58s since SAC aircraft of the period were standardized...without much variations (except for test ships).

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I just heard from a friend who got an early example, and the decal markings are engraved into the plastic, so no alternative markings in the box.

The good news is that they represent  the plane in the main image, so no prototype markings on the tail.

My friend reports the decal lines are very fine as are the panel lines.

I believe those are supposed to be unit (Bomb Wing) emblems.

In the late '50s SAC aircraft had a SAC shield on the right side, unit shield ...also on the SAC "Milky Way" blue band...on the right.

When the model was introduced, the plane was not operational, so any units emblem would have been a guess.

So Revell looks like it came up with a hybrid....half SAC (the armored fist), and half of a fictional unit. 

Atlantis usually strives to accurately reproduce the original kit - flaws and all - rather than make any historically accurate corrections.

Yes, you're correct, but that have offered upgraded decals in the past.

Considering the basic color scheme and few decals of operational B-58s, 

the Atlantis decals are good enough for most builds.

Still, it would have been nice for better unit/SAC badges, "Milky Way" sash and ejection seat triangles.

Here his a shot of the basic sprues...

Notice the very fine panel and decal lines. Also the correct.downturn "washout" of the wing tips, just like a F-102. Pretty impressive.

Photos by Bill Engar of 2modelers.com

Look for upcoming his review at www.2modeler.com

Screenshot_20240417-160059.png

Screenshot_20240417-160113.png

Screenshot_20240419-085237_kindlephoto-908835.png

Edited by JohnEB

Is there a third crew hatch missing from the sprue? I only see the front cockpit hatch and one crew hatch.?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

P.S.

I remember getting this model as a "combo boxing" with the F-89.  Ahh, The memories...

1 hour ago, F-16 said:

Is there a third crew hatch missing from the sprue? I only see the front cockpit hatch and one crew hatch.?

Found image of this kit in its Revell vintage; in it that hatch should be directly across runner from where the visible one is, the odd shape is at that location in the above image appears to be part 46 the vertical fin cap.

On 4/16/2024 at 9:13 PM, KursadA said:

I guess it is fine if you like red SAC shields 🙂

H252decals__96256.1712703552.jpg?c=1?imb

Thanks Kursad! I was hoping for more, but it looks like a half way decent sheet. I do love the old Revell circle decals for the stands.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:13 PM, KursadA said:

I guess it is fine if you like red SAC shields 🙂

H252decals__96256.1712703552.jpg?c=1?imb

They couldn’t get the red insignia stripe centered?  I’m a nostalgia guy, but not to that extent.  

Rick L.