Revell F-105D "Frito Bandito" Done!

You did an excellent job on that Thud Dan. Shows how well the Monogram kit has withstood the test of time. Great details despite the raised panel lines. A great kit and Monogram had an excellent idea in taking the 48th scale kits and downsizing them to 72nd scale and still kept most of the details. This is a very large plane. I haven't seen a 32nd scale Thud built up yet live in a show somewhere yet. It has to be massive. Again thanks for sharing and mentioning the landing gear can be a little wobbly. Was one of the questions I was going to ask.

Hope to see your next project. Hopefully you may do an F-105G as a companion to this one in 48th scale as well.

I have this kit also and seeing yours has become a little inspirational. But in the middle of a Revell F-14 for the GB and thats a project on it's own!

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Fellas,

So I am now nearing completion of the display case for the Thud. This is all hand made. I used particle wood for the base and lined it with some thin molding. I then stained the molding and put a heavy coat of Satin Clear Polyurethane on it for protection. Afterwards I did some careful measurements and went down to the local Plastic Store and had the pieces for the actual case and base cut. The base on which the a/c sits on is actually plastic as well but difficult to tell the difference between it and an actual mirror. With the mirror being plastic, I was able to drill holes in it to anchor the a/c to the base itself. All in all I am very pleased with the results.

I still need to buff out some spots where the acrylic cement is not supposed to be (the stuff is very thin and clear and once it touches plastic its already too late). Anyone have suggestions on what grade sand paper to use? I am also having a brass plate made which will contain the Identification of the Aircraft as well as the TFW and TFS it was attached too. The plate will be attached and centered to the molding. Should look real nice sitting on Lt. Hawkins' bookshelf for him to admire.

Thanks again for all of your kind and constructive comments. As always, they are much appreciated!

Enjoy... <_<

Edited by danjparsons
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Last Friday, Feb 11th, I delivered the finished product to Lt Hawkins (ret.). He could not have been more pleased. We ended up going out to dinner with him, his lovely wife and my folks. And the entire night, you could see a sparkle in his eyes. He talked about many of his experiences flying the Thud and it was really a big treat for me.

I strongly recommend, if you are ever given the opportunity, to build a scale model for a veteran aviator. The experience has been incredible for me and it is a very special way of honoring a person who is so very much deserving of it.

On a sad note, Mrs Hawkins was recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer. So please, when you have a moment, say a little prayer for her speedy recovery.

Thanks again for all the compliments...I will follow up shortly with a couple of pictures of that very special evening.

Edited by danjparsons