Teaching an old Jake new tricks

I used this old 1/48 Nichimo Jake as a testbed for panel fading. The cockpit interior really sucks on this kit and I did nothing to overhaul that aspect. There were some serious fit issues with some of the larger parts as well and I did the best I could with that. The paint was my primary area of focus. This was done in several stages;

1. A primary color was painted.

painted1.jpg

2. The primary color was lightened with white then applied to the panel centers.

weather1.jpg

3. After decals were applied and sealed I mixed a lighter red and faded the panel areas on the decals then sealed that paint with Future.

4. The main spar lines were post shaded with Tamiya X-19.

weather3.jpg

5. I returned with the primary color and toned down some of the post shading.

6. The raised rivet lines were washed with a sludge wash and wiped down.

7. The model was sealed with Polly Scale clear flat.

done1.jpg

done3.jpg

done4.jpg

I think it turned out pretty nice. I prefer to test things like this on cheap kits before running the risk of screwing it up on a high dollar kit.

Nice looking plane Swanny...I mean top notch pal :rofl:

I shall have to try that technique for myself. Hell ,I wouldn`t mind that kit,as I`ve been on a float plane kick as of late ( Seiran ,Rufe, Kyofu ,Arado 196)

Is that kit OOP ?

Good job.

Paul T

I prefer to test things like this on cheap kits before running the risk of screwing it up on a high dollar kit.

Excellent work as usual. :rofl: How would this tecnique work on a two-tone camo job?

Is there any particular high dollar kit we can look forward to seeing from you soon?

Ed, I have been thinking about how to apply it to a two-tone scheme and will be working with it on my current 1/48 Fw-200 Condor build. This project should be heading to the paint room this weekend for its first coat of primer.

progress10.jpg

And the project filling the slot just vacated by the Jake is a pair of 1/72 Matchbox Do-18s, both to be done in 'The Gathering Storm' schemes. The first will be done as 'Zypher' and the second as 'Monsun'.

boxart.jpg

Hey Swanny ,now you went and done it. I`m looking for a Jake floatplane for my stash.Waiting to hear from my supplier if he can get one.

wish me luck. Now that I think of it....you should probably kick in half :D

Paul T