F/A-18E and F missions!

Just curiosity guys... is there any differece for F/A-18E and F squadron missions? Which are they?

Well, I guess it should be any to justify single and two seaters to be delivered to different squadrons.

:crying:

Serelle

F/A-18Fs started flying the FAC-(A) missions - controlling other aircraft for CAS or in some cases emerging targets like mobile SAMs. You can essentially say there really is no difference but FAC-(A) missions started with the F-14s... and progressed to the F/A-18Fs. Take a look at Operation Iraqi Freedom - VFA-115 and VFA-14 flew regular strike missions and tanker missions while the F-18Fs from VFA-41 flew alot of FAC -(A). To add some fire to the F-14/F-18 debate VFA-41 did not fly wing with VFA-115 but with the FAC-(A) crews from VF-31 F-14s aboard the Lincoln. We can sit there and say E and F Bugs can be loaded in all the same configurations but single seat and two seat operational applications are different. F-15E crews are now qualifying for FAC-(A) missions. Makes me wonder about FAC-(A) qualified A-10 and F-16 pilots.

According to Detail and Scale the roles have reversed from before.

F's will be used for carrier protection due to their decreased range.

E's will be used for strike.

But both jets can fill either role.

And yes there was a long thread on it.

According to Detail and Scale the roles have reversed from before.

F's will be used for carrier protection due to their decreased range.

E's will be used for strike.

But both jets can fill either role.

And yes there was a long thread on it.

Thats pretty odd.. One of the lessons from the Gulf War (1991)were the complex strike and hunt missions deep inside Iraq. A two man crew was here seen to be a great asset. France increased their share of twoseat Rafael due to these lessons, but later reversed it. Air to air is a less demanding role much due to a new generation of BVR missiles. Well thats the short version... :(

Air to air is a less demanding role much due to a new generation of BVR missiles. Well thats the short version...  :(

Look out. A misinformed statement like this will get you in trouble...

Thats my polite, short version.

Regards,

Pig

Have to agree with Pig,I don't think my units pilots would be wrung out and dripping with sweat if all they did was fire off a AIM-120 at 20+ miles out at Red Flag,Cope Thunder,DACM,ect.Had to help more than one pilot out of the cockpit on those trips due to only pushing the little red boutton B)

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Actually, the F will be inheriting a few of the Tomcat's old missions.

Tactical Recce with the SHARP pod

Fast FAC - Ideal with a two man crew.

Both the E and the F will be tasked with interdiction, CAS, Tanking and fleet defense. I think Sea Control, a mission inherited from the S-3 community will be better handled by the F for the same reason its an ideal Fast FAC.

I think Sea Control, a mission inherited from the S-3 community will be better handled by the F for the same reason its an ideal Fast FAC.

no no no! You haven't heard about the super secret S/F-18 variant they're developing? LOL (kidding, I'm sure the Fox variant will do just fine)

I think Sea Control, a mission inherited from the S-3 community will be better handled by the F for the same reason its an ideal Fast FAC.

no no no! You haven't heard about the super secret S/F-18 variant they're developing? LOL (kidding, I'm sure the Fox variant will do just fine)

I thought that was SFA-18... SFA standing for So Freaking Absurd! I will admit, I like the Super Hornet a lot, but I find the way Boeing is trying to make it the Swiss Army Knife of fighters rather amusing. For Sea Control the Hornet will use all the same weapons that the Viking uses now for the mission; SLAM-ER, Maverick, Harpoon, and bombs. The AESA Radar and ATFLIR Combo will be ideally suited for the job as well. The only thing they loose is the ability to back up the SH-60s with Torpedoes but the Sub threat is getting pretty minor. As long as they can keep the 60s in the air and have an Orion on call, no worries.

Don't forget the Fighter Attack Reconnaissance Trainer Sub-hunter variant: the Super F/A/R/T/S-18 Plus

So they'll have a choice between FARTS or a Growler?

Regards,

Murph

Don't forget the Fighter Attack Reconnaissance Trainer Sub-hunter variant: the Super F/A/R/T/S-18 Plus

So they'll have a choice between FARTS or a Growler?

Regards,

Murph

FWIW, at the conference I was at last week, our little band of LTs decided to start a grass-roots movement to rename it the "Marmot."

Why Marmot? Because it's not Growler.

For the record, my vote was for either Shocker (yes, THAT kind of Shocker) or Liger (as in the movie "Napoleon Dynamite.") I also thought "Scwedi" would be fun.... think about the ball call :soapbox:

Edited by Karl Sander

LOL, fun with acronyms! The Super Hornet never stood a chance!

(you know, that's one of the cool things about being a graduate student at Wichita State University... our mascot is the shocker, and that's too cool for words ;) ) LOL, you Prowler backseaters have a lot of time on your hands, do you? :soapbox:

Edited by Skull Leader

proof that ARCers know the shocker... (well, some of us... John probably thought we were throwing gang-signs and in downtown Wichita that's likely to get you shot...) Jeff and I know all about it though! (picture courtesy of Jeff Stoermer)

Air to air is a less demanding role much due to a new generation of BVR missiles. Well thats the short version...  B)

Look out. A misinformed statement like this will get you in trouble...

Thats my polite, short version.

Regards,

Pig

I was refering to the "switchology" or the technical, the tactical and operational limitation of the Sparrow era semi guided weapons. I fully agree on the expanded and more comlpex roles new sensors, off board sensors, integration of sensors, gives in compensating more userfriendly systems. :cheers:

LOL, fun with acronyms! The Super Hornet never stood a chance!

(you know, that's one of the cool things about being a graduate student at Wichita State University... our mascot is the shocker, and that's too cool for words :blink: ) LOL, you Prowler backseaters have a lot of time on your hands, do you? :wacko:

"backseater" won't be 100% accurate until the -18G actually shows up.

Now it's only about 66% accurate :cop: