1:48 Academy F-14A Tomcat

Hmmmm, interesting ideas Dr Pepper . . . . :lol:

I am enlarging the room by 3 feet so it will end up at 10' x 17' and i'll be taking delivery of a glass display case from a business that went under. I'm also going to rebuild my spray booth into the wall and add cabinets above the workbench.

Right now my focus is getting the deconstruction taken care of and get the framework back in place. The rest of the work won't be so bad once that is done, but i like your suggestions :lol:

Seeing as i can't post updates on my model at this time, here are some photos of the current state of affairs in the Model Bunker.

I've been wanting to remove this brick wall and concrete foundation since moving into our home 7 years ago. Repairing the flood damage was just the excuse i needed to get it done. The area on the right is my airbrushing station. That will be rebuilt with the addition of an overhead exhaust unit.

brickwork.jpg

Here's a view outside of my model room. This wall will be pulled back 3 feet, increasing the length of the room to 17'. Plenty of room to build BIGGER kits!! :cheers:

outsideviewofmodelroom.jpg

Here I am remodeling "with extreme prejudice"

sledgehammer.jpg

And finally, this is what's left to remove today. It stinks doing all of this but when it's finished, it will have all been worth it :banana:

foundationdemolition.jpg

Edited by Wing_Nut
  • 1 year later...
Hey Wingnut, how'd the renovations go? Any more progress on this one? It's a fantastic build!!

Brett

Thanks for asking Brett :D Renovations took a long time, I didn't finish up until May of last year but in the end, this is my new workbench:

new_work_area.jpg

Unfortunately, after 7 months of absolutely no activity, my workflow was a thing of the past and it's been a struggle trying get back into the grove. To ease back into things again, I decided to dust off some very old metal figures I've had since about 1984, this one is 25mm:

goatman_quarter.jpg

(after flat coat applied)

goatman_softbox03.jpg

As for the Tomcat, I recently pulled the Tomcat out of storage and started prepping the body for paint. There are a few panel lines that need to be corrected but otherwise I'm in good shape to start putting all the pieces together.

I hope to have something worthy of a photo update in the next week or two. Again, thanks for your interest Brett :thumbsup:

The new area looks fantastic!! I wish I had the space to set something like that up.

Can't wait to see how the 'cat comes up...it was inspirational for me when getting back into the hobby a couple of years ago.

:thumbsup:

Brett

Thanks guys, your comments really inspire me to push ahead and get this Cat completed.

Although I'm fighting a typical "after the holidays" cold, I am managing to get some work done. I finished sanding down the entire fuselage (there were a lot of rough spots in the primer) as well as filling in a lot of crappy scribing (i'm still trying to find a method that works for me) with CA and sanded that back down. Tonight I plan on applying silver paint to the seam lines to check for fine cracks and carefully rescribe the panel lines that I filled in yesterday. I will take some photos as I go and post them in the next couple of days.

I have been filling seams and scribed panel lines and then refilling again. I have not done very much scribing before and I have a very heavy hand while doing it so I've needed to fill them in and try again and again and again. Here are a few photos of my progess:

F14_InProgress_nose_seams_02.jpg

F14_InProgress_nose_seams_01.jpg

F14_InProgress_nose_seams_03.jpg

I used a Tamiya Chrome Silver Paint Pen to go over the seams and panel lines to get a much better idea of how it really looks. It's amazing what a little chrome paint will expose.

F14_InProgress_air_brake.jpg

F14_InProgress_rear_fuselage.jpg

If I don't set a limit for how long I will work on getting these seams and panel lines corrected, I will lose my soul to AMS Hell. The sanding is about done and one more try at LIGHTLY rescribing the panel lines and I'll be able to get a full coat of primer on this kitty. Thanks for taking the time to check in.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow . . . . first of all, I'm embarrassed that I have not seen the recent posts; second, for those of you that have recently posted, a sincere thank you for your interest and third, your timing is excellent . . . I've actually gotten back into the groove of model building again and I've been hammering away at the Tomcat ;)

It's ironic that I even saw the recent posts. I just did a search of this discussion forum looking for specific paint colors for the Tomcat and as I was running down the list of search results, I noted that my thread was in the list but stunned to see that there were recent posts :worship: In the next day or two I will have some updated photos to post. I have been meaning to get them posted but figured so much time had passed since my last posting that there was no rush but this is the kind of motivation that will keep me going for a long time. Thanks again for your interest!!

I went back to the beginning and read through this thread and can't believe so much time has gone by. Even after the flood and the eventual basement workroom rebuild, I had a real difficult time getting back into the modeling mindset so I decided to start small and work my way up.

This is Dragon's 1:144 UH-60L Blackhawk, in process:

UH60L_inprogress.jpg

and completed:

UH60L_completed_sideview.jpg

I kept it simple, only adding a couple small wires on the rotors and bending the rotor blades over a hot light bulb to give them a natural droop.

I then moved up to a 1:72 Academy P47D Thunderbolt:

P47D_completed_topsideview02.jpg

P47D_completed_bottomsideview.jpg

I used the Thunderbolt to help me overcome some decaling issues I was having but I probably should have used aftermarket decals because the kit decals were sooooooooooo thick!! I just about poured a bottle of Solvaset on them and they still wouldn't snuggle down, especially the checkerboard tail. I eventually had to sand down a lot of the tail decals and hand paint them back in. Fortunately I will be using Superscale decals for the Tomcat, but working through the challenges on the P-47 was good experience.

Ok, back to the Tomcat. When I pulled the Tomcat back off the shelf a couple weeks ago, I had a couple of areas on the fuselage that still needed to be filled, sanded and then scribed. Once that was completed, I sprayed the entire fuselage and the wings with Mr Surfacer 1000:

F14primed_front_bottom.jpg

F14_InProgress_wings_primed.jpg

If you're familiar with the Academy kit, you'll know that the wings have gears attached so that when both wings are inserted into the fuselage, they interlock and allow you to open the wings simultaneously. I want to have my kit displayed with the wings swept back so I cut the ends which will make it easier for me to insert them once they are painted and decaled.

With the major components primed, it was time for a whole lotta white . . . . multiple coats, about 4 or 5 separate paint sessions to get the coverage I wanted.

Here's a couple coats of white applied:

F14_InProgress_painting_bottom_w-3.jpg

F14_InProgress_painting_bottom_w-2.jpg

I keep everything in a large plastic tub while working on this kit. It has virtually eliminated dust on the painted surfaces and keeps them very safe from my 19 pound cat.

F14_InProgress_painting_allparts_wh.jpg

And with the final coats of white applied and waiting for the top color:

F14_InProgress_painting_bottom_w-1.jpg

F14_InProgress_stabilizers_fins.jpg

That's it for tonight . . . .time to head to work, gotta love 3rd shift.

Brian, i've just been reading the whole thread (started in 2005 :D ) and i must say you did a great job until now.

I really liked what you did with the ejection seats and wheels.

Keep up the good job.

Regev.

Thanks Regev and I've been following your 1/20 F16C build . . . :)

With the painting of the white completed, I masked the upper surfaces of the wings but instead of using Tamiya tape, my favorite standby, I thought I'd give Mr Masking Sol at try. I've had a bottle of this stuff for a long time and hadn't used it yet so I thought this would be a good test:

F14_InProgress_wings_mrmasking.jpg

I was very pleased with the crisp lines I was able to get HOWEVER, next time I use this, I will make sure to apply a coat of Future first because it lightly stained the white paint with a green tint. I tried using 6000 grit buffing pads but that didn't work so I ended up breaking out the Tamiya tape anyways:

F14_InProgress_wings_touchup_white.jpg

I used Tamiya tape for the demarcation line and then regular "painter's tape" to cover the rest of the area. I didn't have to be meticulous with the masking because I was only looking to cover up the tinting so this process took a lot less time than I thought it would and I am very happy with the results:

F14_InProgress_wings_painted.jpg

It is difficult to see much detail in these photos but once I've applied a gloss coat and then start to weather them, all of the detail should come out.

So that's where I am currently with this project. Tonight I'm running out to my LHS to buy more paint for the topcoat and will spend the next couple of nights spraying the fuselage gull gray and glossing the wings, tail pieces and stabilizers.

A quick update: I applied a light coat of Future to the wings, stabilizers and the tail pieces and now that those are dry, I'll be masking the leading edges so I can paint the natural metal. I also glued the antennae and probes in place, drilling each piece so I could pin them in place, adding strength to the connection point. I've painted my first coat of FS36440 gull gray and can already see that I will need to put a little bit of time into seaming the probes and antennae. That should be a joy as the parts are so small to begin with but if I don't do this now, it's going to be a thorn in my side later on.

I'll post some photos in the next couple of days. There probably won't be much modeling happening on Tuesday because 'Rainbow 6 - Vegas 2' is being released (XBox360) and my son and I have already cleared our schedules so we can be "rockin' the strip" shortly after he gets home from school :bandhead2: