1/72 Hasegawa F-15E

I finally got my Aires resin burner cans (which are awesome) in the mail and was able to finish this one up. The CFT pylons (along with a scratchbuilt one) were taken from the Academy kit, and actually fit pretty well.. The seats are resin Pavla offerings, and the weapons are from various Hasegawa sets. I changed out the launch rails for the AAMs to the current LAU-128's. WRM tanks were made by squaring off the back end of the kit tanks, and I cut out the fairing for the arrestor hook, filling the resulting hole and used the Academy hook there. I added the WSO's hand controllers from the scrap box. Decals of course are from Two Bob's nose art and are of the "Shangri La II".

sj100.jpg

sj101.jpg

sj102.jpg

sj103.jpg

Very nice build, the work looks quite seamless.

I have a spare Academy Strike Eagle to do the exact same thing with my Hasegawa F-15Es. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for?

Mine will get turned into an F-15I, but that's a ways down in the "to build" pile...

-Jared

Very nice build, the work looks quite seamless.

I have a spare Academy Strike Eagle to do the exact same thing with my Hasegawa F-15Es. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for?

Mine will get turned into an F-15I, but that's a ways down in the "to build" pile...

-Jared

Jared: It's actually not much of a problem at all to get the Academy pylons on the Hasegawa CFTs, just keep an eye on the alignment. You might need a little filler along the edge where it joins, but not much. Academy doesn't give you the center pyon on each side, so I sanded, rescribed and reshaped one from the scrapbox. It's hard to see in there behind the fuel tank anyway, so if it doesn't come out perfect don't worry too much!

Whatever you do, try to get the Aires resin exhausts. It is a tedious process to glue on all of the actuators, but they look SO much better than the Hasegawa part, with no issue trying to line up the sections into a perfect circle.

And thanks everyone!

Edited by volzj

Joe,

Thanks for the advice, I have a set of the Aires Exhausts for my F-15J, but as my Strike Eagle is being converted to a Ra'am, I'll need the feathered versions. Aires has had it listed as a future release for a long time, and according to their website, they are actually out now. Haven't seen it show up in any of the mailorder spots yet though.

Again, great build!

-Jared

Joe, that's a great looking model, as others have said, easily mistaken for 1/48.

From my research, everyone tends to recommend the Academy kit as the best F-15 in 1/72. Is there a reason you went with Hasegawa's? Personally, I think both kits look good, but I'm just curious.

Joe, that's a great looking model, as others have said, easily mistaken for 1/48.

From my research, everyone tends to recommend the Academy kit as the best F-15 in 1/72. Is there a reason you went with Hasegawa's? Personally, I think both kits look good, but I'm just curious.

Thank you.

The Hasegawa kit has slightly overall better detail, better fit, sharper panel line detail and a better cockpit, but both kits need significant work to make them accurate Strike Eagles. I did use the targeting and nav pods from the Academy kit (in additionto the CFT pylons) as they were molded much more cleanly.

Edited by volzj