Revell's Su-24M in 1/72

I assume this is a Dragon mould. Any inbox preview out there? I'm interested in the decal sheet and included weapons.

It is the Dragon mould, though received via Zvezda. Now idea of the decal sheet but the weapons sprue will no doubt be unchanged and consists of a sprue (F) from one Dragons weapons kits. Not entirely sure on the accuracy of these weapons being included with this kit though. You should be able to find pics avaialble of it by looking up the Zvezda boxing.

HTH

It is the Dragon mould, though received via Zvezda. Now idea of the decal sheet but the weapons sprue will no doubt be unchanged and consists of a sprue (F) from one Dragons weapons kits. Not entirely sure on the accuracy of these weapons being included with this kit though. You should be able to find pics avaialble of it by looking up the Zvezda boxing.HTH

I have a Dragon edition at home, but as I understand, Zvezda gave two Dragon weapons sprues in contrast to Dragon giving only one (as in my example)? With only one weapons sprue, you cannot have a symetrical weapons loadout since all the missiles are represented by one piece each.

And Revell's decal sheet interests me pretty much, since Zvezda's was rather poor (Dragon decals were nice; included some stencils as well) and Revell is known to excel in this area, even with reboxes (1/72 Su-27 decal sheet, for instance).

There's a review of the Zvezda kit here.

:cheers:

I know it states that there two identical weapons sprues were included in the review example but I certainly only received one with my kit! Can anyone who actually has this kit actually help establish which is the norm?

Incidentally, Revells site now has a pic of the box top art, and states that the decals will have two Russian and one Iraqi option. As the release date is this month, I'd expect it in the LHSs here in the Netherlands somewhere soon.

HTH,

Andre

Holy! 182 parts!

... which, methinks, does indeed suggest two of the Dragon weapon sprues. Does anyone have the part number of the Zvezda boxing handy..?

Cheers,

Andre

Having seen so much reviews - sometimes critical - of the original Dragon kit and all of its reboxes I'm a bit confused. When it came out, all where excited, but now I feel this kit is not regarded that good anymore. Or have I got it wrong?

I know there's the Stream/Streem kit, which should be better. The best at the moment, actually. Should I get the Dragon/Zvezda/Revell one (more easily available, almost around the corner) or get the Streem kit and pay much more for it (let's say from Hannants)?

As said, I've read the reviews and discussions. But, you guys that know the kit better, would you please summarize what's the biggest fault(s) in the Dragon kit?

I got the Streem kit from Lindenhill (it took a while) and even though it has an akward and somewhat fragmented breakdown of part the surface detail is very very nice, and it provides you with extended flaps and slats like the hasegawa's F-111s.

Go for that one.

I preferably would take it. But it's gonna be an expensive kit when taking into account the minimum order limit of £30 at Hannants. And that's the only source I know that's nearest to Finland. Russia would be our neighbour though, but I'm not willing to take the risk and order there...

The Streem Su-24 is available from Hobbyterra in Ukraine. It's slightly cheaper that in Hannants, the service is great and the payment is done to CCNow (which is an American company, AFAIK).

Having seen so much reviews - sometimes critical - of the original Dragon kit and all of its reboxes I'm a bit confused. When it came out, all where excited, but now I feel this kit is not regarded that good anymore. Or have I got it wrong?

It's somewhat complicated. The Dragon kit has nice surface detail, a reasonable fit, but poor detail-detail. The seats literally look like sofa chairs. The decal instruments are bright red clocks on a lurid blue background. More importantly though, it has a number of shape issues, which are more apparent when compared with the Streem kit.

Streem's kit is limited run. Detail is pretty good overall (more detail than the Dragon kit, but some is 'limited run' in nature - a little blobby and flashy). Surface detail is excellent. Shape is spot-on. The downside is that the fit can be tricky in places, and the parts need more clean-up to fit in the first place. The breakdown IS complicated, but it all makes sense when you think about it - it's broken down to get the complex shapes right, and to get the most surface detail possible.

Comparing the two, the biggest shape difference is in the nose, but there are a number of issues throughout the Dragon release.

http://www.kitpic.com/is.php?i=3064&img=124-2476_IMG.jpg

http://www.kitpic.com/is.php?i=3061&img=12...72_DSCN2472.jpg

So which one to get? Streem is definately the better of the two. If you just want a Su-24 to crank out and display on your shelf though, the Dragon kit is a decent budget alternative, and would certainly be a faster build.

I fancy your avatar, MoFo! That really IS the famous "Hand of God", isn't it?

I'm leaning towards Streem. 'Cos there's so few accurate kits of Russian planes. And if for once there really is one , I'm not gonna miss it!