New 409 Squadron colorbird should be revealed today

I have the artists copies and do not have actual images of the jet. It was to be revealed today on parade.

I am not in Cold Lake at the moment and thus I do not have images of the jet. But I expect them to show up today.

I return to Cold Lake this weekend. I will be a member of 409 but a Lynx forever.

I get to miss the parade due to circumstances.

Tail only or like the Voodoos of days gone by?

Hopeing for old school, and some more Leading edge decals to make it so.

Color tail similar to Hawk One. I am guessing there is a it on the spine as well but it was being kept secret.

External surface of the V-stabs only. Graduated dark blue to light blue from the top to bottom and a "Hawk One" head covering most of the surface. Red 409 Activation lettering. Tail number 188761. Sorry no pics.

:woot.gif:

Oh yes, absoluteley, know, regarding Dave? is he going to do more?

And next, must be a story with the two ejection seat markings.

Decals!!! WE NEED DECALS IN HERE !! STAT!!!!!!

Meh. I'm less and less impressed with the colourbirds as time goes on. Maybe its time someone else takes over the design duties - they just don't seem, I dunno, inspired, anymore.

I really like the look of it and I'm sure decals will be forthcoming. And it being a single seater I'm also curious what the ejection seat stencils on the fuselage indicate. Any chance they are specific to "Norm"? (LCol Todd Balfe)

Edited by David Walker

It likely means that the CO, during his flying career (3800 hrs IIRC), has jettisoned two aircraft. Scooby should be able to confirm, deny and/or expand on this.

:rofl:

:rofl:

Cool, that is nice. Though I had hoped they would use the later style nighthawk head, it looks much sleeker IMHO. Anyway great to see these colours on a CF-18 again. Thanks for posting!

The ejection symbols are for the 2 ejections that this aircraft had in the past.

Back in the late 80's-early 90's, the pilot had to eject on take-off from a british base, and the aircraft had to be rebuild with a new forward section.

Then, about 2 years ago, it ground looped on landing in Yellowknife and again the pilot ejected. There was minor damages and it was repaired and put back in business.

AFAIK, this is the only aircraft (Single seater) that had 2 ejections and is still flying!!!

Dan

The ejection symbols are for the 2 ejections that this aircraft had in the past.

Back in the late 80's-early 90's, the pilot had to eject on take-off from a british base, and the aircraft had to be rebuild with a new forward section.

Then, about 2 years ago, it ground looped on landing in Yellowknife and again the pilot ejected. There was minor damages and it was repaired and put back in business.

AFAIK, this is the only aircraft (Single seater) that had 2 ejections and is still flying!!!

Dan

Wow, if thats the fact (Jack) this is a plane worthy of modelling, might have to break out one of the 1/48 scale models for this one if Dave does the decals.

Meh. I'm less and less impressed with the colourbirds as time goes on. Maybe its time someone else takes over the design duties - they just don't seem, I dunno, inspired, anymore.

While I do agree that some fresh ideas are needed, I don't think that this one is half bad and is pretty much what I was expecting. To me, Norman (the Nighthawk, not the pilot) looks very retro and beats the snot out of the last two demo birds. Starting from a page in a Squadron's history is always good in my books.

Cheers,

Sean

and while we're on this subject, for the record, here the special Nighthawks CF-18 scheme from 16 years ago, when 409 was based at Baden, Germany:

CF-18 A 188769 July 1990, photo by G.Leroy:

188769.jpg

Edited by RedIndian

Due to the tight money situation in the Air force, the paint cost had to be reduced in order to buy gas for the bird. It has been reported that all CF-18 operations will be restricted to single engine usage to conserve funds for the 2010 We(s)t Coast Games. :cheers: :D :D

Let the fun begin.

Barney....nice tail-art by the way :woot.gif: