RAF Harrier crashes

I wouldn't classify the current generation of RAF Harrier as "Old" and (considering the large number of uneventful sorties where the aircraft return to base in one piece) I wouldn't consider the current generation Harrier as "dangerous".

- John

Heck, there was a F-22 crash a couple months ago, and it is a brand new plane. Military fast jet flying is dangerous and conducted by very high performance aircraft. Just because the Harrier has been around awhile doesn't mean it is a problem aircraft. Yes, it demands alot of the pilots, but they are also some of the finest in there airforces. The GR7, 9,and AV8-B has alot of life left. Just my opinion.

well that sucks harriers are old and dangerous.

Nicholas

Really! If I'm not mistaken, the Harrier GR.7/9 is the second newest fighter in the RAFs inventory. It entered service in the mid-'80s (as the GR.5), which makes it younger than most EPAF Vipers, and like those it's been upgraded over the years.

:D

I'll leave that judgement to the pilots - they fly it and they know it. Likely if they're still willing to strap a Harrier on, they probably have a different opinion.

Very glad to hear the pilot got out. I hope he's okay.

WB

Glad the pilot made it out ok :unsure:

The Harrier at the Waddington air show had some problems also, but I think that...

.... is probably just a tad strong, and just wrong. :lol:

And I don't think that the F-35 is 'just around the corner'; more like a long slow curve.... :blink:

Karl

Edited by karlwb

The pilot ejected, and is safe; first reports say that the Harrier collected a large bird. If that's what happened, during the landing phase, and the engine stopped, it doesn't matter what age the aircraft might be, you're going down.

Edgar

LOL! I probably shouldn't laugh, but I feel sorry for the policeman!

Imagine just driving along a normal English road, then out of the corner of your eye a Harrier GR9 flashes into view then BOOOM!!!

Definately something to tell your mates about :banana:

The Harrier in it's various models has had very many successful sorties and a very small number of crashes. It is still a good machine, but like any military jet, it can be dangerous. Ingesting large birds, animals or other objects down the air intake generally causes undesireable results. :lol:

Has any information been released about the assigned squadron or the SN of the incident aircraft?

I just want to check my Harrier photo records to see if the aircraft has crossed my lens in the past.

Many thanks -

- Rip -