Women viperdrivers

Does anybody know how much women there are in every airforce that uses the F-15/F-16/F-18? And fly one of these jets? Anywhere to find out?

Just curious...

Fireman

Edited by fireman

To model her use any modern pilot with the HGU-55 and the Combat Edge oxygen mask. Just put a little bit of blonde hair in the neck and that should be it. With all her flight gear on and the visor down she looks just like any other Danish pilot.

Regards,

To model her use any modern pilot with the HGU-55 and the Combat Edge oxygen mask. Just put a little bit of blonde hair in the neck and that should be it. With all her flight gear on and the visor down she looks just like any other Danish pilot.

Regards,

You said it! At EOR launch a weapons person is out in front of the jets marshalling and talking to the pilots on the comm cord. During my three weeks at Andrews in June that guy was me. For two and half weeks I would say the standard greeting..."Good morning, sir. All switches OFF, SAVE, & NORMAL?" The pilots would come back with "affirm", "roger that", or whatever. By the time they get down to EOR they have the mask on and visor down. Weeeeellllll.....on the last day I was there, I hooked up to the last jet of the day (for me) and gave my standard greeting. I got the standard greeting back, but it was our female pilot!! I said opps..sorry 'bout that. She was cool, she laughed and said its hard to tell sometimes. She has blonde hair coming out from the helmet, but I was directly in front of the jet and did not see it. :thumbsup:

Chappie

Guys, it's not for the scalemodelling. Just for the knowlage of today. Just curious. So anyboy know how many there flying in the USAF?

Norway? The Netherlans? Greec? Israel?

Do women officers tend to go postal if you call them "sir" instead of "ma'am"? Is there a firmly established protocol?

Our pilot (don't want to use her name) doesn't, she is pretty cool all around. Like I said, she had the visor down, and her mask on so I could not really tell who it was. But, when I unplugged the comm cord I called her ma'am. Her father is a pilot and flies some impressive airplanes and she and I sat around one day and talked about airplanes for about 30 minutes. I seem to recall that she owns a Luscombe and a Cessna 140.

PS- I've talked to her at EOR several times and called her ma'am from the start. Once she had her gloves off and I could tell by her thin hands. Another time she had her mask on, but the visor was up. That time I knew who it was by her eyes.

Chappie

Edited by Chappie

I don't know if it's still true, but it used to be that in some forces every officer was called sir, there was no ma'am. Didn't matter what parts they had... :lol:

Times are probably changing though and I'm ticked at myself for not knowing the current rules!

WB

Keith, that's just what I'm looking for. Well, actually just interessted how many women are flying in the US air force in fast jets, and wich jets. And in the rest of the world/Europe...

Eric

Read and article today in the Early Bird about the female Thunderbird pilot.... said there were 555 female pilots in the US military. Not sure if that includes NFO/WSO/EWO or not.

Seems about right for pilot #'s though.

Spongebob

I got the standard greeting back, but it was our female pilot!! I said opps..sorry 'bout that. She was cool, she laughed and said its hard to tell sometimes. Chappie

Wow, you mean she acknowledged sometimes they sound just like men!? <_< JK.

Don't know if anyone seen this article before. Lockheed martin's Code One profiled four female F-16 drivers at Osan AB in 2003.

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/20...osan/index.html

I like "Dirty"...a lot! :D

You know, I would love to see a four-ship of female Eagle drivers go DACT against a female four-ship Viper drivers. I would pay to hear the radio chatter. :banana:

Don't know how many - don't care. As Waco (I think it was) alluded to - either they're good, or they're not. There's plenty of each gender on both sides of that. I've worked with, flown with and instructed people of both genders all over tha spectrum

As far as sir/ma'am - in my experience it's only an issue if they have a chip on their shoulder - which I saw more in the early 90s as a mid (OK, so feel free to take that for what it's worth). My personal theory is that back then, women's roles in the military were still in flux and at times contentious and the chip on the shoulder, the shrill "DO I LIKE LIKE A SIR TO YOU!!!?????" etc was perhaps a defense mechanism against a not-always-welcoming environment. Or perhaps it was a by-product of being bullheaded enough to break down those early barriers. Who knows. Fishwelding is the academic hereabouts.

These days most women I run into are pretty easy going about that sort of thing and manage to take innocent mistakes of the kind Chappie mentioned in stride.

Now, there are some who can still be difficult, but they're generally the type that are difficult about a multitude of things and it usually masks a deficiency in tactics/airmanship/flight leadership - and this masking of deficiency is not a gender unique trait. There's also been plenty of men in my career displayed an inverse relationship between quality of personality and competence. In other words, the biggest a**holes tended to be the least gifted in the airplane and/or ground job - i suspect because at some level they knew how bad they were and felt the need to offset that by making themselves look better than the nearest target of opportunity.

Fishwelding is the academic hereabouts.

Wha...?! I don't call you nasty names! :) While I've taught, I'm still a student, so I can technically still escape that term, I think. And there's other academics of considerably higher pay-grade hereabouts, too! No matter; If I cannot escape that epithet for too much longer, you'll get yours when people are calling you "Lieutenant Commander," and your JOPA card is torn up in front of you.

Speaking of JOs, do you brownshoes/Navy people still use the term "Mickey Mouse" as a term of contempt? If so, what exactly does it mean? I'm reading a history of a Vietnam intruder squadron right now, and the JOs seemed to hurl it about with frequency, but I have only a vague notion that it's something like "method by which senior management can say they've done something about the problem when in fact they have wasted our time, and possibly endangered our lives."

Wow, that whole shellback/pollywog crossing the equator mess sound like a real event.

Edited by Fishwelding
No matter; If I cannot escape that epithet for too much longer, you'll get yours when people are calling you "Lieutenant Commander,"

I see we're even in the nasty name department now.

Speaking of JOs, do you brownshoes/Navy people still use the term "Mickey Mouse" as a term of contempt? If so, what exactly does it mean? I'm reading a history of a Vietnam intruder squadron right now, and the JOs seemed to hurl it about with frequency, but I have only a vague notion that it's something like "method by which senior management can say they've done something about the problem when in fact they have wasted our time, and possibly endangered our lives."

It's still used though I heard as much on the outside growing up from people who had never been in the navy. Best way I can think to describe the terms meaning is "half assed" or "not thought all the way through."

Of course these days senior management trying to kill us is pretty standard so it rarely gets remarked upon. It usually the other way around - it's remarkable and noteworthy when someone that far up the ladder actually has their head out of their a**.

Edited by Karl Sander