Best Enamel white?

I've been using Revell 301 but havent been impressed with its flat pebby finish. Its meant to be satin but looks more flat to me.

Anyone else had this experience?

Revell 301 is what I use because of its excellent opacity. However, it looks like dull satin to me. Modelmaster gloss white or Xtracolor white appears shinier, but they need many coats to look good.

A coat of gloss varnish or Future will get that shine on Revell's white back!

Edited by Lancer512

I am a big fan of MM Insignia White. I add several drops of light blue to the bottle when I buy it as this gives a nice, brilliant white (compensates for any yellow). My usual routine is an undercoat of flat white followed by 2 or 3 thin coats of MM gloss Insignia white. I do a lot of models that have large areas of white and this system works for me.

Have fun! :cheers:

Mike

I've had lots of trouble with white over the years, and just about all of the enamel type white goes yellow, the gloss finish seems to go yellow more than the satin or matt, but most seem to go eventually.

The best soulutin for a non-yellowing white for me was to use automotive acrlyic white. This does not go yellow, you can spray it from the can for big jobs or decant it in to an AB jar or cub for smaller stuff.

Failing that, I'd go for some thing like Tamiya acrilic white. I don't really like acrilics, but the Tamiya gloss white gave me the best gloss finish I'd got from my AB.

Karl

I've had a pretty good run with Tamiya Flat White (XF-2). It sprays very nicely and doesn't get drawn into the edges like the gloss white.

I was going to try the Floquil one, but unfortunately my LHS has just stopped stocking it.

Brett

My Reefer White is now yellow in the jar. The couple of planes built using it are a bit yellow too.

Just repeating my experience.

G

A couple of drops of light blue in the bottle is supposed to stop the yellowing.

:cheers:

MikeJ