1/20 F-16 - A scratch build project

I started a scratch build project that most likely would be a long one.It will be an F-16, but i still haven't decided yet on a specific version (big chance it will be a "C" model).My goal is to do a 100% scratch build F-16 using all kind of materials and techniques. The aircraft will be built with options to open different panels and many things will be decided as i will advanced in this build. Every help and comments will be appreciated as i definitely will need it in some areas.

The first thing i'm "attacking" is the station number 5 pylon that holds the 300 gallon fuel tank (and ALQ-??? variants).I chose to start with this part because it is common to all versions and it is a relatively a simple shape and will give me the opportunity to test some of the materials.

The pylon is shown in this photo -

0001im9.jpg

The materials:

A plastic plate -

0002ex5.jpg

Balsa wood -

0003as0.jpg

3 different kind of glue's :

1. Home made glue (Thinner mixed with plastic)

2. Humbrol glue

3. Cyanoacrylate (The thin type)

0004gp4.jpg

The home made glue was used to glue the first layer of plastic to the balsa wood, and then a second layer of plastic was glued using the humbrol one and the cyano glue to add some strength.

This is the part after this process and a little bit of sanding -

0005sw2.jpg

0006vd2.jpg

Few hours after gluing the plastic i found that in some areas the plastic was melting (maybe i used to much glue) so i will use putty to fix it -

0007ne1.jpg

This is part of the "holding mechanism" (not completed yet) -

0008pu9.jpg

So this is it, every journey begins in one small step :o

Hope to update soon,

Regev

Wow! What a project! I can't wait to see how you progress.

The first thing i'm "attacking" is the station number 5 pylon that holds the 300 gallon fuel tank (and ALQ-??? variants).

The Viper carries the ALQ-184, ALQ-131, and ALQ-188. The -188 is shown in the photo.

Jake

Thanks for the kind words guys :cheers:

Wow! What a project! I can't wait to see how you progress.

The Viper carries the ALQ-184, ALQ-131, and ALQ-188. The -188 is shown in the photo.

Jake

Thanks jake, but i think (i need to check it thought) that the ALQ-131 have a different pylon and if so then i will build this pylon also. I'm planning to be able to switch load configuration on the F-16.

i am with you .........

hope to manage your BIG F-16!!!!

Man, with so many ideas i have for this build it should get it own manual (Dash-??? ...) :worship:

Regev

New Update -

After using putty on some areas and a lot of sanding i started the scribing process using different kind of tools -

001.jpg

Right side -

002.jpg

Left Side -

003.jpg

Bottom -

004.jpg

The part is almost done (little things will be added later) and here is a comparison to a 1/72 pylon -

005.jpg

Next step is primer painting.

Regev

Thanks jake, but i think (i need to check it thought) that the ALQ-131 have a different pylon

You're correct. The -131 requires a special centerline pylon due to ground clearance. It cannot be carried on the standard pylon you're building.

However, that pylon is perfectly acceptable for the ALQ-184 pod.

Jake

• 2 weeks later...

New update:

Painted all the pylon parts with primer color which showed a few problems with the scribing of the main part, it will be fixed and will be painted again –

001-1.jpg

First try to make the 'Remove Before Flight' tag:

First printed the tag (two sides) –

002-1.jpg

Then using self Adhesive Aluminum foil to glue the two sides of the tag –

003-1.jpg

Made a ring and the safety pin from thin copper wire -

004-1.jpg

Here it is inserted to its place on the pylon –

005-1.jpg

Started to work on the 300 gallon fuel tank, first i made the base from balsa wood –

006.jpg

Then wrapped the wood with plastic –

007.jpg

I'm using milliput (standard grade) as the first layer of filler and I must say I love this stuff, it has two parts that you mix and then after allowing 3-4 hours to dry you can start the sanding –

008.jpg

Still a lot of work to do –

009.jpg

Regev

New update –

Work on the fuel tank continues, I made some kind of homemade 'mr. surfacer' using green putty and acetone –

001-2.jpg

"painted" the fuel tank with this stuff –

002-2.jpg

Finished sanding and ready for painting –

003-2.jpg

After painting with primer, still need to fix few areas –

004-2.jpg

Next step will be detailing this part.

Also made a punch & die set that will be needed in the future (especially in the cockpit ) –

005-2.jpg

006-1.jpg

This tool was made according to a great guide by user named ModelDay, you can see the guide here –

Link

Regev

• 3 weeks later...

New update –

Made different holes for the connection points and hoses that will be added later –

001-3.jpg

Made the fuel cap and the part that connect the fuel tank to the tail hook –

002-3.jpg

Some of the small parts are ready to be painted –

003-3.jpg

I got the Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ that will be my guideline trough the building so here a comparison between the 1/20 & the 1/32 –

004-3.jpg

I want to do the screws heads like in the picture below, I tried to do it with cyno glue but the result wasn't good (not consistent size) so if you have any idea on how to do it i will appreciate the help -

005-3.jpg

Regev

Hi Regev, splendid work so far. That thing looks huge....

I want to do the screws heads like in the picture below, I tried to do it with cyno glue but the result wasn't good (not consistent size) so if you have any idea on how to do it i will appreciate the help -

005-3.jpg

Regev

Some of the armour guys press rivets out of metal foil. Could you try this?

The metal holder for tea-light candles could be used or the closure from the neck of a wine bottle might be suitable.

Simply press a blunt tool of some kind like a tooth pick or similar into the foil and remove the resulting bump with a sharp knife. With practice you will have dome shaped rivet (screw head) shaped objects which you can super-glue in place and then add the cross-head slots with the tip of your xacto blade. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

HTH

:cheers:

Hi Regev, splendid work so far. That thing looks huge....

Some of the armour guys press rivets out of metal foil. Could you try this?

The metal holder for tea-light candles could be used or the closure from the neck of a wine bottle might be suitable.

Simply press a blunt tool of some kind like a tooth pick or similar into the foil and remove the resulting bump with a sharp knife. With practice you will have dome shaped rivet (screw head) shaped objects which you can super-glue in place and then add the cross-head slots with the tip of your xacto blade. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

HTH

:blink:

Thank you sir for the tip, i will try this and update later on how it went.

Regev

Short update -

Started to work on the horizontal stabilizers:

First the planning -

001-4.jpg

Then made the base from balsa wood to give it some strength -

002-4.jpg

The two stabilizers need some fixing in some areas and then they will be detailed -

003-4.jpg

I also started to work on the fuselage (well part of it …) -

004-4.jpg

[Regev

Here's an idea that might work in your larger scale:

-Punch disks the size of the screw head in think plastic.

-Glue them to the tank.

-Use white glue or epoxy to make the domed head of the screw on top of the disk. The plastic disk should allow you to make them all the same size.