1/32 Revell/Monogram RF-4C Phantom

I started this a couple of weeks ago. It's the 4th big Phantom I've done the past 4-5 years, and I intend finishing it in SEA camo like it's predecessors.

I started with scribing some of the missing panel lines that are unique to the recon versions, such as the photo flash cartridge ejection doors on the rear fuselage and additional panel lines on the vertical stab. I tried to highlight them with black pastelle so that they showed up better in the photos, but I wasn't too successful. The photos don't do the rescribing justice, and I am pleased with the results (I don't mean to sound cocky, it's just that there have been so many times my scribing has been awful, that I'm an expert at spotting bad scribing! :rolleyes: )

rescribe2.jpg

rescribe1.jpg

I cut out the auxiliary air intakes on the bottom of the fuselage, and the doors were reshaped and detailed slightly. I don't think I'll detail the insides of the intakes very much, as you can't see much of them on the finished kit (as I learned on an F-4G I did last year). I've also cut out the outside trailing edge flaps so that they can be repositioned in a slightly down position common to Phantoms on the ground.

AuxiliaryAirIntakes.jpg

Auxintakedoors.jpg

Flaps.jpg

I'm using the old style centerline fuel tank. The kit tank needed to be modified, as the mounting pylon is too thin and doesn't mount over the "bump" on the centerline like it's supposed to,but on top of it instead:

tankon1.jpg

I Dremeled out the part of the pylon that mounts over the bump, then I used sheet plastic to make the pylon wider. The 2 small fins were from a Tamiya F-4EJ kit.

tanks.jpg

The result is that the tank now will mount flush to the bottom of the fuselage as it should:

Tankon2.jpg

Next up: the seamless intakes!

A 1/32 Phantom!! All that could make it better is if you were doing a late-model Guard jet.

Jake

Sorry Jake, but it's SEA camo or BUST (I probably shouldn't use the word "bust" when referring to a plastic model :rolleyes:) !! Besides, it's going to be part of a set:

DSC00388-1.jpg

new9.jpg

FannyWeasy.jpg

WoW! Those Phantoms look great!

I started an RF-4B project using the revell kit and I will be paying close attention to this one. If you are interested, I have patterns to make intake ducts out of thin (.005") sheet styrene. Let me know if you are interested.

That scribing looks good. What did you use?

Pete

WoW! Those Phantoms look great!

I started an RF-4B project using the revell kit and I will be paying close attention to this one. If you are interested, I have patterns to make intake ducts out of thin (.005") sheet styrene. Let me know if you are interested.

That scribing looks good. What did you use?

Pete

Pete, I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to the intake ducts. Could you be more specific? The scribing was done "freehand" using the tip of a straight pin in a pin vise and a small ruler. Somewhat crude, but it did the trick! Will your RF-4B be an early model without the bulged wheels? If so, I'm curious what you'll be doing to remove the bulges on the tops and bottoms of the wings.

Pete, I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to the intake ducts. Could you be more specific? The scribing was done "freehand" using the tip of a straight pin in a pin vise and a small ruler. Somewhat crude, but it did the trick! Will your RF-4B be an early model without the bulged wheels? If so, I'm curious what you'll be doing to remove the bulges on the tops and bottoms of the wings.

Oooo....ahhhh....I know what Pete's talking about. Hey Pete, can ya shoot me a PM? I might be able to learn something from it (with Monogram Hornet intakes in mind), LOL.

Ryan F

I don't want to hijack this sweet thread, so I'll post a link to the topic on LSP where you can see what I'm talking about-

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...10672&st=30

I won't be making the mods to the thin wing B, as many of the RF-4B's had the thicker wing of the J. Without getting too much into it, some of the B's were pretty much C's. They featured the thicker wheels, wings, and the engines of the J's. The pits were different from the J's though. So no, I won't be removing the bulges- :thumbsup:

Ryan, consider yourself PM'd!

Pete

I don't want to hijack this sweet thread, so I'll post a link to the topic on LSP where you can see what I'm talking about-

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...10672&st=30

Holy Moly! That's some serious scratch building. Well, I'm almost embarrassed to post these photos, but I'm using the compressor faces that came with the kit. I used Model Masters Metalizers; aluminum for the fan blades and stainless steel for everything else:

Compressorfaceunassembled.jpg

Compressorface.jpg

I bought a set of Seamless Suckers which I started working on. There were a few air bubbles in the grills which needed filling:

Seamlessintake.jpg

I also modified the vari-ramps by removing the excess horizontal plastic inside the vents, thinning the walls, and adding the vertical piece that goes down the center of each vent. I used a piece of photo etched sprue for that:

Splitter.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've made very little progress over the past few weeks; work's been crazy busy! I got both seamless intakes installed into the fuselage halves. It required some minor surgery, as the intakes are too long (this has nothing to do with the seamless intakes themselves, the kit parts are too long). I needed to trim the fuselage by about 3/16" so the length is more accurate:

seamlessinstalled.jpg

seamlessinstalled1.jpg

seamlessinstalled2.jpg

I'm modifying the inboard pylons by adding the extra "bracket" that is often added to this style of pylon. I scratch built it using some reference photos I had. I'm guessing that they're not entirely accurate, but I'm OK with them, so if any of you have close up photos of these brackets, please don't post them! You'll just make me redo them, and I don't want to!!! :)

pylon1.jpg

pylon2.jpg

pylon3.jpg

The wings have been assembled, and I finished the flap modification. I added a small piece of triangular plastic to correct the shape of the inboard flap (I copied the Tamiya kit for this), then I added a piece of quarter round plastic to the outboard flap so that when I glue it in place in the down position, there's a nice transition:

flap1.jpg

flap2.jpg

Lastly, I assembled the AN/ALQ-119 ECM pod. I modified the shape of the nose as it's too round. I'm not sure if I'll use it or not, as I think the Trumpeter A-10 pod is more accurate (that's what I've used on my other F-4's). Perhaps I'll initiate a trade:

alq-119.jpg

I'll be starting the cockpit shortly. I bought the Verlinden RF-4C set to enhance the kit parts. I find that Verlinden sets are "hit-or-miss" depending on the subject. At first glance, it appears that this set is a "miss". More to come!

Impatient Pete: Thanks for the cockpit template!

I'll be starting the cockpit shortly. I bought the Verlinden RF-4C set to enhance the kit parts. I find that Verlinden sets are "hit-or-miss" depending on the subject. At first glance, it appears that this set is a "miss".

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I used it a couple years back and wasn't too impressed. I can't remember the specifics of why I didn't like. I remember the seat's shape is wrong at the top of the parachute pack, requiring some work to correct.

Excellent work. I'm really enoying it.

Jake

Rusty!!! What did I tell you?!!! DON'T POST PICS OR I'LL HAVE TO REDO EVERYTHING!!! Oh, the PAIN!!!! OK, OK, I'm over it. I dare say, I may have just got it right after all.

Seriously, thanks for the post. I appreciate the pic; :thumbsup: it looks like my efforts are not in vain.

Johnny! STOP!!!

Back up!

Pylon shape issue...with the adapter----

RF_Pylon.jpg

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I used it a couple years back and wasn't too impressed. I can't remember the specifics of why I didn't like. I remember the seat's shape is wrong at the top of the parachute pack, requiring some work to correct.

It's not only the seats, which I can actually live with (at least, I have with 2 other Phantoms!). The set gives you parts to update the kit's cockpit tub, rather than supplying a brand new tub. The pieces they supply are not that detailed, but more importantly, the kit tub is WAY too deep, particularly the rear tub. See photo below showing the kit tub (top) compared to a Tamiya F-4 tub (bottom):

cockpitcomparison.jpg

Without any adjustment, the guy in the rear cockpit would need a snorkle to sit in his seat!

cockpitrearbefore.jpg

I was tempted to use the Tamiya tub, but the sidewalls supplied in the Verlinden set (which are quite nice and the highlight of the set) wouldn't fit. So I ended up chopping off the bottom of the rear set tub and installing a new floor that was not as deep as the original:

cockpitrearnottrimmed.jpg

cockpitrearnowtrimmed.jpg

The result is that the rear seat sits a little higher. It's still not high enough, but I will add some sheet plastic under both the front and rear seats to bring them up to a more desirable height.

cockpitrearafter.jpg

Also, the Verlinden set supplies photo-etched parts for the cockpit sills that are missing on the kit. However, the photo-etched sills are about 1/2 the width they should be, so I ended up scratch building sills using sheet plastic. I used the Tamiya kit for reference, and also the templates supplied to me by Impatient Pete (thank you Pete!):

sillsnotrim1.jpg

sillsnotrim2.jpg

sillsnowtrim1.jpg

sillsnowtrim2.jpg

sillsnowtrim3.jpg

Well, that's it for the weekend. I would love any constructive criticism that you would like to unleash!

Well guy's, there You have it: John's being a very naughty boy again...!!!

Keep up the good work John. I can hardly wait to see this beauty finished. Should You have the time, please post some more pic's regarding Your alterations on the "tub". I also noticed that Revell made a small mistake regarding the depth. I thought about Your solution but wasn't quite sure how that would work out. Of course You can always e-mail me some additional pic's to my personal e-mail adress but I'm sure the rest of us is just as anxiest to see the result...

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Spooky 01' date='Apr 14 2008, 03:44 PM' post='1359317'

Keep up the good work John. I can hardly wait to see this beauty finished. Should You have the time, please post some more pic's regarding Your alterations on the "tub". I also noticed that Revell made a small mistake regarding the depth. I thought about Your solution but wasn't quite sure how that would work out.

Well Rudy, unfortunately I don't have any more photos of my mods to the rear cockpit tub. However, I do have a few of the front which I decided was too deep as well:

cockpitfloorfront1.jpg

cockpitfloorfront2.jpg

cockpitfloorfront3.jpg

I also added some photo etch to the sills that I had left over from previous Phantom builds:

sillswetch2.jpg

sillswetch1.jpg

I have started painting the control panels, and I have scratch built the oxygen hoses using guitar strings and copper wire:

DSC03150.jpg

oxy1.jpg

oxy2.jpg

The side walls have been painted and weathered:

sidewalls.jpg

Well, progress has been slow due to the fact that we are in busy season at work, but I hope to get moving now that April is soon to be over.

Those oxygen hoses are looking very good :thumbsup:

Regev.

TOTALY AGREE !!!!!

Realy looking sweet John. What are the small bands made of ? (Simply small strips of tape, or do You have a different trick for that?)

Also a big "thank You" for posting the additional tub-pic's. I can't help but thinking that the seat's still ought to "sit" a bit higher... Is it the photograph's or do You tend to slide some platic sheet underneath them before final installment... Sure would like to hear something about that. In the mean time:

Take Your time !!! For some reason You always manage to create a real gem. I sure wouldn't like to read that You messed this one up because You tried to rush things...

Finaly; What will be the final livery of the bird? Will it become a beautifull JASDF bird or are You going to stick to a USAF(E) bird. An Alconbury beauty would go nicely with Your Ramstein Sharkmouth E as well. I guess I better stay tuned to find out...

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Realy looking sweet John. What are the small bands made of ? (Simply small strips of tape, or do You have a different trick for that?)

The bands are Tamiya tape, nothing fancy at all!

Also a big "thank You" for posting the additional tub-pic's. I can't help but thinking that the seat's still ought to "sit" a bit higher... Is it the photograph's or do You tend to slide some platic sheet underneath them before final installment... Sure would like to hear something about that.

I plan on adding some plastic sheet underneath the seats as needed; I'll figure that part out once the cockpit is installed.

Finaly; What will be the final livery of the bird? Will it become a beautifull JASDF bird or are You going to stick to a USAF(E) bird. An Alconbury beauty would go nicely with Your Ramstein Sharkmouth E as well. I guess I better stay tuned to find out...

I'm sticking with a USAFE bird, as I have AirDoc decals leftover from the "E". The tail code is going to be "ZR", which the instructions say are from the 17th TRS, RAF Wildenrath, TAM 1978. Truth be told, I didn't put a lot of thought into it; I'm just using up decals!

I got the cameras assembled and installed. I didn't go crazy with detailing, as you can't see much once they're installed. I used seeker heads from Maverick missiles I had left over from a Trumpeter A-10. Also, rather than paint everything black, I used Gunship Grey:

camera1.jpg

camera2.jpg

camera3.jpg

camera4.jpg

camera5.jpg

The cockpit is almost complete. Everything got a coat of Dullcote, and the sidewalls are installed. I cheated and used some leftover Eduard photo etch to detail the control panels. While not accurate to a recon Phantom, I like the clear photo instruments, which add a level of detail I can't replicate with paint:

sidewallinstalled1.jpg

sidewallinstalled2.jpg

photodashboard.jpg

rear1.jpg

Hope to post more tomorrow once the nose is assembled.

Hi John,

thanx for the additional info regarding my questions. I also ought to thank You for the tip regarding the camera-lenses. I'll make sure to keep that one in mind once I get to my recce-birds... Sofar she's realy looking sweet & I', sure she's going to go well with Your other F-4's. As for the tailcode "ZR": This was the tailcode worn by the recce-birds which used to be based at Zweibrucken, USAFE Germany. Ohhh my: "memories, sweet memories..."

"Check Six....."

Spooky.