Anyone got their hands on the Hobby Boss Mi-8?

Janman,

I'm awfully weary about anything Hobbyboss does when it comes to helicopters. After seeing their UH-60 Black Hawk and building their CH-34 kit (which both suffer from shape errors or detail errors), I don't hold much hope that they will get the Hip right. Hopefully I'm wrong as I'd like to see a decent Mi-8/17 kit in the one, true scale (IIRC, both the Kopro and Zvezda kits have shape errors as well in relation to the canopy glazings).

Cheers,

Alby

I understand your worries, guys. I've still sensed that the general mood towards the HB Hip has been quite positive due to the very probable possibility that it might be a miniature of Trumpeter's 1/35 Mi-8. I'm not an expert on Helos, not the mention the 1/35 scale, but I do know they've done it before with succes, at least in armour (1/48 T-34 and KV series).

Apperently it is not out yet....

"Dear Sir

MiG-17 will be released in August. Mi-8 will be released in July. Su-47 will be released later.

Thanks for your interest to our products."

I will ask Eric.

For what it's worth, the Hobby Boss website has some tiny little CAD DRAWINGS of the Hip.

It seems that different shades of grey denote separate parts. May be a really long shot, but maybe someone can trace a lineage from that. :thumbsup: Whether it's a copied Zvezda or down-scaled Trumpeter.

Can't comment on the Mi choppers from HB, but have picked up the AH-64D.

My $00.02 worth - engraved with the current recessed rivet detail, it is still the pre-production a/c with the pointy rear ends to the enlarged chin cheeks, cockpit very basic in detail and instrument layouts may be wrong, it has a 2 piece tail rotor ( not the one piece molding in most AH-64 kits!!), with added detail it will look good.

I just checked 1 on-line store and it is priced about the same as the other 64D offerings and IMHO an overall better kit, not much but.....

Our only hope is that Hasegawa will re-do their 64D like they re-did the 64A now that the JSDF has D's in their inventory. :deadhorse1:

For what it's worth, the Hobby Boss website has some tiny little CAD DRAWINGS of the Hip.

It seems that different shades of grey denote separate parts. May be a really long shot, but maybe someone can trace a lineage from that. :deadhorse1: Whether it's a copied Zvezda or down-scaled Trumpeter.

As far as I've understood from several sources (Eric YY, some ARCers with "connections"), it really IS a Trumpeter scale-down - which should be a good thing, right?

Also, I've understood that Eric YY has already had HB Mi-8 on his inventory (been in contact with him) and a new batch should arrive this week. He also promised me some sprue shots of the model when I asked about it from him.

With his permission (unless he himself posts the pics here) I'm hoping to show them on this thread. Then we will know for sure.

So, the kit seems to be on sale now.

Photos by kind permission from Eric YY.

According to Eric, this is a basically a miniature version of Trumpeter's 1/35 Hip. The ones who are more familiar with the Trump kit can probably confirm this.

Mi8T_content1.jpg

Mi8T_instruction2.jpg

Mi8T_marking21.jpg

Edited by janman

Janman,

Thanks for posting the sprue pics. Given what you have posted, it looks promising. The canopy will be the make it or break point (it is hard to see in the pic with clear bits). I have the Trumpeter kit (in fact I'm working on it as we speak) and don't too much similarity in the sprue layout , though the breakdown of the interior is similar to the 1/35 kit. Any other marking options besides the Russian and Luftwaffe Hips?

Cheers,

Alby

Janman,

Thanks for posting the sprue pics. Given what you have posted, it looks promising. The canopy will be the make it or break point (it is hard to see in the pic with clear bits). I have the Trumpeter kit (in fact I'm working on it as we speak) and don't too much similarity in the sprue layout , though the breakdown of the interior is similar to the 1/35 kit. Any other marking options besides the Russian and Luftwaffe Hips?

Cheers,

Alby

Yeah, I was waiting too see the canopy as well. The markings are only for Russian and Luftwaffe Hips - in fact they can be seen on the parts breakdown photo. Mine will most probably be with Finnish markings.

Maybe I was a bit naive, but I was hoping to see a more detailed cargo bay with clam shell doors that can be positioned open. Well, you can't have everything and maybe the Ciro resin sets work also on the Hobby Boss kit.

I'd like to see the provisions for armament as well (pylons, struts, rocket pods, etc), but as long as the shape of the kit itself is right I won't complain at all. With all the countries that operate the Mi-8/17, you won't get bored as far as camo schemes and markings options are concerned!

Cheers,

Alby

:thumbsup: It appears that the windscreens are correctly curved as on the real thing and not flat panels as on the KP/Italeri or Zvesda kits. Have a close look at both the fuselage halves and the clear windscreen parts. If you look closely enough you can see the curvature on the both the windscreens and fuselage halves. Also, the upper part of the clear part (the fuselage on the real thing) is curved and appears to my eyes to be well shaped. Yes, when they arrive here there will be one or three being added to my stash too. Thank you for the sprue shots Jan.

HTH,

Ross.

<...> According to Eric, this is a basically a miniature version of Trumpeter's 1/35 Hip. <...>

Would that mean that the Hobby Boss Mi-24 may a scale-down? :worship: If so, I'm one happy camper! ;)

We absolutely need an Mi-8 in 1/48th scale. Hobby Boss, we already have plenty of Mi-8s in 1/72nd scale, and we don't need another-how about one in 1/48th for a change?

I wonder why Trumpeter cast theirs in huge 1/35th scale. You're taking a chance on any new kits, and you're making a larger investment and taking a bigger risk when you do a kit in 1/35th. Fewer people can afford the more expensive 1/35th, and fewer people have enough space. There is a reason 1/48th is more popular. The more cautious or conservative decision would have been to do the Mi-8 in 1/48th scale.

Would that mean that the Hobby Boss Mi-24 may a scale-down? If so, I'm one happy camper! :thumbsup:

Hobby Boss, we already have Mi-24s in 1/72nd scale. We don't need another. We need one in 1/48th scale! They're impossible to find anymore, except on eBay, and they're going for a small fortune now.

...Hobby Boss, we already have plenty of Mi-8s in 1/72nd scale, and we don't need another-...

Not true. There are two 1/72nd scale Mi-8s available but neither the KP kit nor the Zvezda kit can be built as accurate, good looking models straight from the box. I have absolutely no idea how Zvezda could have been so stupid as to mess up their otherwise nice Mi-8 by repeating the same mistake as KP in their poor depiction of the windscreen/canopy area. Considering that the Mi-8 was the 'Huey' of the 'Eastern world' we definitely need a good 1/72nd kit. What we don't need is yet another unbuildable kit.

:thumbsup:

The Hobby Boss kit certainly has potential. Although the canopy can not be clearly seen in the sprue pictures at least the fuselage halves make an allowance for a correctly shaped canopy, unlike the currently available kits, so I think we can afford to be optimistic here. Also, the kit has both a cabin and cockpit ceiling, a separate cockpit roof hatch and separate fuel tanks sponsons (allows for differences, i.e. the very nice resin parts from the Ciro upgrade sets may just glue straight on). Further, although the clamshell doors are not separate parts I note that the instructions illustrate that the internal structure is represented and that parts are supplied for the little seats that attach to these doors. Perhaps there is a provision to separate the doors from the main fuselage halves if wishing to pose them open. I would certainly prefer this option as I would only wish to open the doors on a small percentage of my Mi-8 models.

Although this initial peek seems promising Hobby Boss has yet to produce anything that has me excited. Let’s hope for something decent. :pray: As for another 1/72nd Mi-24; yes, we are still in need of a good small scale Hind as well. I’m patiently awaiting Zvezda’s promised kit. Although their Mi-8 was a gross disappointment I’m hoping for a return to the high standard they displayed in their exceptionally good Ka-50.

colleagues at www.flugzeugforum.de see some difficulties.

From their first view, the kit represents a Mi-8MT Hip-H, so to speak a Mi-17 (as the Trumpi 35th kit does).

This version does not correspond to a Mi-8T as the box claims as far as the engine unit and fuselage length is concerned. German forces, either eastern or later in unified Germany never operated Mi-8MT so the decals are totally wrong