1/72 ICM MiG-29 9-13 "Fulcrum C"

The Aires resin pit looks magnificent and has a pretty nice fit once you do some minor trimming. The exhausts are for the Hasegawa kit and are smaller (IIRC) in size than the ones meant for the Italeri kit. I will use them anyhow mainly because I happen to have them (and I sure ain't ever gonna get the Hase Fulcrum anyway) and because these resin exhausts will always look better than the original simplified kit part. I'm sure I can manage to get the fit more or less decent.

A-6E209.jpg

A-6E210.jpg

The decals will come from the excellent Authentic Decals sheet, which has some very beautiful and colourful marking options, a couple of which are for Soviet aggressor squadron planes.

A-6E213.jpg

Edited by janman

Nice start,Jan.

I'm also planning to make ICM 9-13 kit,so I'll follow your thread.

When I made my Airfix MiG-29 2 years ago,I also bought myself Aires 7124,which should be for Hasegawa.

I found it too small for Airfix kit,too.So I gave up using it and bought the Tally Ho! resin exhausts.

Actually,the diameter of Airfix and Italeri is same——which proved the accuracy of both kits.

As ICM 9-13 was molded on the base of Italeri 9-12,I believe Aires 7116 MUST fit ICM kit.

BTW,how will you deal with the wrong shaped windshield?

I'm now making the master of that area for vacuum,and I will replace the combining area on fuselage/nose with Condor 9-13 kit.

Good luck!

Yufei

Nice start,Jan.

I'm also planning to make ICM 9-13 kit,so I'll follow your thread.

When I made my Airfix MiG-29 2 years ago,I also bought myself Aires 7124,which should be for Hasegawa.

I found it too small for Airfix kit,too.So I gave up using it and bought the Tally Ho! resin exhausts.

Actually,the diameter of Airfix and Italeri is same——which proved the accuracy of both kits.

As ICM 9-13 was molded on the base of Italeri 9-12,I believe Aires 7116 MUST fit ICM kit.

BTW,how will you deal with the wrong shaped windshield?

I'm now making the master of that area for vacuum,and I will replace the combining area on fuselage/nose with Condor 9-13 kit.

Good luck!

Yufei

Thanks, Haneto! Great to see another Fulcrum from you!

For my eye the Aires Hase exhausts don't look that bad after some fixing, so I'll most probably be using them. As I said, they still beat the kit part 10-0 and there is not much size difference between those two.

About the windshield. I still haven't thought about that. I guess I'll be using the original and try some paint trick on the lower frame since there aren't any after market vacu windscreens available.

Uggh Jan, i was just going to digg my 9-13 kit up from the stash. :cheers:

I was thinking to have it as terapy, quess which kit have the blame! :D

I am not realy tired of the steem kit, since i havent had any big troubles with it yet. Those decals looks fantastic, i think i have to buy one sheet... :)

Anyway, if haneto is going to build 9-13 to, that means: two epic builds, by two masters. :whistle:

Did someone mention "Aggressor"...?!?!?! :worship: :P :P

Yes, here's an article on the Soviet "aggressor" squadrons operating in Mary-1 Training Center in Turkmenistan (back then part of the USSR) with some pictures of the birds they used.

http://mikoyan.by.ru/htm/other/pilotage/agress/agress.htm The article is in Russian language but has some nice photos.

Originally the aircraft had the normal Soviet AF camouflage but it was soon noticed that it was hard for the pilots to distinguish the "enemies" from the friendly planes, so a "cognac bottle stripes" (yellow stripes with black stars) and shark mouths were introduced on both MiG-23s and MiG-29s. The tempered US Navy/AF type emblems were also used.

Here's the bird I will build with it's very colourful markings including cognac stripes, a shark mouth, US (Navy or AF, not sure) rip-off tail markings (the winged number one) and the yellow wing and horizontal tail tips.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww4/f/39/1/2/34

AggressorFulcrum.jpg

Hi Janman!

That Mig looks good, I have the same kit (well the old one, will have to rescribe the bottom part :crying2: ) so I will folow this build

with great interest and see how the master of east-european kits take it away!

I´ve been watching your builds and I must say that they are amazing!

I read that you brushpaint almost everything with Humbrol Enamels, this made me curious as

I´ve never had any success with this particular brand (flat paints turn semigloss, hard to get coverage,takes forever to dry) but I would love to get better

since they´re avaliable everywhere here in Sweden and comes in alot of different shades.

Since you´ve proven that the results can be amazing, maybe you can come with some

pointers and suggestions how to do it right to me and the others.

(sorry for the long text) :thumbsup:

And seeing a wing tank on singleseater on this pic, is quite a rare sight too...

Good point, almost missed that. I'm not a fan of wing tanks, but might consider using them on this build.

I´ve been watching your builds and I must say that they are amazing!

I read that you brushpaint almost everything with Humbrol Enamels, this made me curious as

I´ve never had any success with this particular brand (flat paints turn semigloss, hard to get coverage,takes forever to dry) but I would love to get better

since they´re avaliable everywhere here in Sweden and comes in alot of different shades.

Since you´ve proven that the results can be amazing, maybe you can come with some

pointers and suggestions how to do it right to me and the others.

Been lurking in the shadows until now have ya? :thumbsup:

Firstly, thank you for your comments. I truly appreciate them!

But, no secrets here. The white is mostly painted with a rattle can. I gave up painting white with a brush, at least on larger surfaces. Now I even started to use rattle can flat coats as well. Everything else is hand brushed with a good flat profiled brush and almost exclusively with Humbrol - which is sold on every hobby shop here.

The quality has gone down, no doubt about it and I've encountered the same problems as you: some shades just don't cover well and some matt shades will not give you a matt finish. Patience, soft quality brush, and several thin (sometimes also thinned) layers of paint is the answer. And even then some Humbrol colours just never work no matter how well you shake the bottle and do the brushing. There are not much options though as I still don't love the acrylics (I use them occasionally) and the only widely available enamel brand here is Revell (which I hate).

Hope this helps!

Hehe! Yep i´m a former lurker :-)

Ok, nice to hear that I´m not the only one having problems. But since you have given me a tip may I give you one.

Regarding other enamels, try the Tamiya Enamels avaliable here: www.hiroboy.com. They are good for brushpainting

and dry fast.About 1/3 of the time a humbrol paint takes to dry.

It´s a modelcar homepage but they have alot of hard to find materials.(and fast shipping)

I tried this paint as an alternative to some of the humbrol shades like flat black and got a pleasant surprise.

Again, thanks for the help.

// Emil

Hehe! Yep i´m a former lurker :-)

Ok, nice to hear that I´m not the only one having problems. But since you have given me a tip may I give you one.

Regarding other enamels, try the Tamiya Enamels avaliable here: www.hiroboy.com. They are good for brushpainting

and dry fast.About 1/3 of the time a humbrol paint takes to dry.

It´s a modelcar homepage but they have alot of hard to find materials.(and fast shipping)

I tried this paint as an alternative to some of the humbrol shades like flat black and got a pleasant surprise.

Again, thanks for the help.

// Emil

They deliver paints as well? Would you know about spray paints, like flat coats?

Thanks for the tip!

Yep they do!

They have got some sprays but, they only do ground shipping on them and its fast but pretty expensive

shipping should be about 20EUR for a normal sized package but its fast for ground shipping 1-3 days (wich turns in to a week :) )

If you think about using Tamiya lacquers you should know that they are known to eat decals for lunch so caution is advised. Mist coats are the way to go!

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of detail inside the wheel wells is the usual cause of I should be building a model! for us modelers. This time there's just too much detail.

A-6E215.jpg

The front wheel wells on the MiG-29 are pretty much devoid of any plumbing and/or rib detail so I removed it with a tool that has been my trusted companion for years. It has seen several European cities, one behind the Atlantic Ocean and has even been to many "battles" while I was in the army. The Swiss army knife can handle anything - even plastic models.

A-6E219.jpg

I'm in a process of scratch-building the wheel well interior. Here's the starting point:

A-6E221.jpg

The latest addition to the AM products I am using on this build: the excellent Equipage resin/rubber wheels for a Fulcrum. The postman just delivered them from Linden Hill.

A-6E223.jpg

Edited by janman

The Aires pit fits pretty nicely inside the nose. Unfortunately some of the tiny circuit breakers on the box behind the seat were broken off. It also seems that the seat sits way too low in the cockpit - easy to correct by putting some plastic under it. Other than that, the Aires set looks just beautiful.

A-6E225.jpg

Some detail painting on the starboard side avionics bay. I have no idea about the colours on the port side bay since I haven't been able to find any photos of it. I've gone through several web-based walkarounds and walkaround books - but without succes.

A-6E229.jpg

Please, could YOU lend me a helping hand..? :thumbsup:

I had the same problem as you during my MiG-29 Academy build. :thumbsup:

I have seen only one picture of MiG-29 9-13 acsess panels open on side, and it showed different hatches than you have cuted open as Aires instruction showed you.... It is a picture of a Moldovan 9.13.

Superfighter.hu to the rescue! CLICKY! :woo:

From page 6 of THIS WALK-AROUND (they really peeked under every cover of the poor thing! :)) on HUNAVIA, Superfighter's other site.

EDIT: Oops, that's the starboard side. :doh:HERE's one of the port side. Page 4 of above walk-around. It's a Fulcrum-A, but I think most of that should look the same.

Edited by ChernayaAkula
Superfighter.hu to the rescue! CLICKY! :woo:

From page 6 of THIS WALK-AROUND (they really peeked under every cover of the poor thing! :stupid:) on HUNAVIA, Superfighter's other site.

EDIT: Oops, that's the starboard side. :doh:HERE's one of the port side. Page 4 of above walk-around. It's a Fulcrum-A, but I think most of that should look the same.

Awesome!