F-111C - Group build casualty - Semi-final posts!!!

Hi guys,

After failing to finish this build during the group build I decided to put a post up here showing what I have done so far.

I started with constructing the weapons bay. The tunnel covers are milli-put to simulate the cloth covers, with copper wire for the laces. The rest is scratch built from plasticard.

IMG_1913.jpg

I have rebuilt the nose wheel well and modified/rebuilt the nose gear to accurately show what the F-111 nose gear looks like.

IMG_2413.jpg

Edited by nimrod77

I have gone to town on the MWW but I have said "when" and "finished" it :)I did discover that the reason that the main gear struts on the kit don't fit in very well. The rear part of the wheel well is the wrong shape. It should be a straight edge, so I removed the offending pieces.

21032009250.jpg

And here it is finished...

21032009251.jpg

21032009252.jpg

21032009253.jpg

I'm working on the main gear too as it's a little on the anaemic side. I have bulked it up with some plastic card. I added the middle brace from plastic tube. I am going to redo the main struts as well. That's for another post though. Here it is so far...

Before and after shot...

21032009255.jpg

The Black box cockpit has been modified to "C" model AUP standards (pretty much any way).

I added the MFD's and moved a few gauges on the instrument panel.

IMG_2662.jpg

The rest of the cockpit was painted and a few additions were made. The Alt landing gear down handle was added from stretched sprue, (shot taken before the additions shown below)

IMG_2664.jpg

the flap covering the switches on the rear centre console was made from coke can aluminium, and the water bottles at the back were made with Milliput and some more coke can.

IMG_2666.jpg

Here's the seats all painted up with simulated black lambs wool seat covers.

IMG_2663.jpg

More to come, I promise!! :thumbsup:

Edited by nimrod77
I have a couple of 1/72 kits in the stash and seeing all these "ant bears" is getting me motivated to do an F-111B. Any thoughts on the best parts of the AMT & Revell kits for bashing a Navy bird together will be appreciated.

I can't really comment on the kits as I don't own them, but I have some F-111B pics that I can post up in the research forum if you like.

Update coming today (Hopefully) :thumbsup: Thanks for the comments guys!

UPDATE... UPDATE...UPDATE

The cockpit is in and the fuselage sides are closed. I am slowly gluing the FWD and AFT fuselage together to get the fit as right as I can.

28032009267.jpg

28032009268.jpg

Here's the current status of the Main gear with parts beefed up and some details added.

28032009270.jpg

I have reworked the spike vents too to more accurately depict them, not 100% but good enough. I nearly lost my cool doing this!! :thumbsup:

28032009269.jpg

More to come!

Hi Nimrod,

This is really nice scale modelling, especially because you do a lot of strachbuilding. Ik like those vents and i can imagine you've almost lost your cool while you wher making these vents. But they ar really cool :rofl:

Regards

Henk

Great to see your work ressurrected from the GB. I just restarted mine as well- I'm glad to not be the only one slacking on the GB! ;)

Your work is excellent- I have to ask how you managed to do the vents though- I was about ready to lose it entirely out of frustration on mine and they don't look nearly as good!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Here's what I have been doing over the last few nights.

Weapons bay is fitted and I am pretty happy with it...

28032009272.jpg

I have pretty much finished the main gear now except for the drag link (thing in the foreground) and piping.

07042009276.jpg

10042009281.jpg

Should have more substantial stuff for you over the next week or so once I fire up the airbrush so I can close her up.

Cheers guys!

Nimrod

Your work is excellent- I have to ask how you managed to do the vents though- I was about ready to lose it entirely out of frustration on mine and they don't look nearly as good!

Hey thanks Dax,

The vents were done with small strip styrene, and lots of swearing :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick update,

I have attached the wings and the upper fuselage. I glued in the rotating glove blanks into the glove and sanded the kit plastic back to align with it....

I rescribed the panel lines lost and missing from the intakes...

12052009339.jpg

I cut out and replaced the fuselage and wing nav lights with clear sprue, then sanded them to profile....

12052009337.jpg

I have cut out the canopies and dipped them in future in preparation for the black box bits to be attached....

12052009340.jpg

and now I am wrestling with the seam where the front and rear fuselage come together....

12052009338.jpg

Horrible seam to remove and will result in a lot of re-scribing.....

I have also attached the glare shield, and finished the re-scribing of the side of the fuselage.

So, here is an overall shot of what she looks like now :whistle:

12052009342.jpg

Thanks for looking! :woot.gif:

Back to the grind stone for me!

Cheers!

Great stuff! I've recently got back into my EF-111A - another group build casualty. At a similar stage to you, though you're further ahead. I'm dreading detailing the well bays and landing gear but you've shown what can be achieved.

:woot.gif:

Would these mods apply to an FB-111 too? Or did the -C have unique landing gear, weapons bay, etc.?

Yep all the mods apply to the FB-111 apart from the different intakes and some small differences in the wheel wells. Well, there is more than that but for the main part that's it. Don't want to bombard you with too much info.

Let me just say, if you don't know, then no one else will probably know either :blink: so don't sweat the small stuff!!

If you have any questions or need references for either early model (A or C), or late model (E-G & FB) F-111's let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

Another little update. Things are going slow but I have managed to do some.

The stabs rotating points have been replaced with brass rod to add some strength.

09062009449.jpg

The corresponding points on the fuselage has been replaced with some plastic tube.

09062009448.jpg

I have added the ALE-47 chaff & flare buckets from plastic card scribed with boxes to represent them.

10062009455.jpg

I have added some detail on the dump mast and figure of 8 panel to make it look more like the real thing. The kit parts are a bit plane jane...

10062009454.jpg

and here's what the real thing looks like...

22042009297.jpg

Hope you all like it..

Cheers

Edited by nimrod77