The Eye in the Sky

Very nice pics Chigger!

Last weekend, in Ostrava, I took a walk through an E-3 for the first time and was absolutely stunned by how much is actually in one of those things in the way of both equipment and crew complement! It was like a big mainframe computer with wings, I couldn't imagine how they got it off the ground.

While talking with a KC-135 crew, parked right next to the E-3, I was told that it was standard practice for the E-3 too take off with minimum fuel and connect with a tanker ASAP after getting off the ground. The KC-135 crew also told me that the E-3 has rather longer wings which help a bit in getting all that weight unstuck from the runway.

• 1 month later...
BTW, that is the correct usage of the epithet "MotherTinker"...

So I'm told...I've got AWACS guys on both sides of my cube at work. I broke down there for a couple days back in 2002 (come to find out, the fitting to attach a hydraulic servicing unit to a Hawkeye is specific to an E-2. Yeah! Grumman!!) and didn't think the town was bad. My partners in crime pointed out that it isn't when you know you're leaving...

Spongebob

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...