F-4E Phantom II IRIAF

I´ve put the Thud on hold for a while in waiting for the group build to start...

Since I don´t want to be idle I started this Pro modeller Phantom in 1/48th scale I got at the New Year raffle a couple of years ago :tumble:

In addition with some decals from Hi-Decal and goodies from Aires this will end upp as an Iranian bird, A desert scheme by other words :P

IMG_1086.jpg

Here´s Aires delicious cockpit! I really like the older Aires boxes better, the parts are well potected by bubble wrap....that can´t be said about the new boxes there´s always something broken off, Annoying :lol:

IMG_1088.jpg

And Aires exhausts...sweet little things really!

IMG_1090.jpg

Then I got on with separating the pats from the casting blocks and sand them....I used these tools with my Dremel.

IMG_1089.jpg

And as usual the parts get impaled on tooth picks :P

IMG_1091.jpg

As does the parts for the landing gears, I´ll get right on detailing the struts when the temps dropped enough for me to be in my hobby room!

IMG_1093.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Aigore

Great Project Aigore!

Thank you for using our decals! :worship:

Here a small "walk around" of IRIAF Phantoms: http://www.photozagros.com/cp/thumbnails-14.html

Interesting! Beware though that the Iranian F-4Es had slatted wings, and the wings in the ProModeler kit are the hard wing type.

Jens,

The first 31 Iranian F-4Es (69-7711 to 69-7742), delivered during 1971-72, were hard-winged. They were coded IIAF 3-633 to IIAF 3-664 respectively. They received Leading Edge Slats as update during 1975.

All other F-4Es later delivered to Iran had slated wings.

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
hi aigore, how are you?

Nice one, and reached of after markets, this one ill be great

i'm looking your forward

cheers

Hi Pompeo!

Just peachy here B)

We´ll see what happens.....

Looks good Aigore. Very good.

Than jimz.

Great Project Aigore!

Thank you for using our decals! :worship:

Here a small "walk around" of IRIAF Phantoms: http://www.photozagros.com/cp/thumbnails-14.html

Jens,

The first 31 Iranian F-4Es (69-7711 to 69-7742), delivered during 1971-72, were hard-winged. They were coded IIAF 3-633 to 3-664 respectively and were updated with LES around 1975.

Greetings

Diego

Thanx Diego! That was a nice walkaround.

Since I´ll be doing a F-4 from the Iran-Irak war I had no other option but to cut up my wings :P

They won´t be true slatted wings but they´ll look pretty similar at least B)

Good luck mate!

as usual it wil be an exceleltn build!

did the IRIAF had F-4 with the hard wing? i though they had the slatted version

Thanx Periklis

LOL yup, see the debate above

Some progress in a while !

Cheers and thanx for the comments!

Since I´ll be doing a F-4 from the Iran-Irak war I had no other option but to cut up my wings B)

They won´t be true slatted wings but they´ll look pretty similar at least B)

I guess it would be quite simple to exchange the parts with some friendly ARCers... There are always people searching for hard wings for their Hasegawa Phantoms to do Vietnam era F-4Es :worship:

Greetings

Diego

Well then...on to the wing debacle :)

This will not be a true "slatted wing" but I´ll do my best to make it similar at least...a few splashes of desert cammo will still make it a nice looking bird :)

The most obvious are the wing tips...and to remedy that I started with marking the part to be removed.

IMG_1094.jpg

I then cut it out using a scriber and a knife.

IMG_1095.jpg

Now the slats needed thinning quite a bit, I marked off the leading edge since it´ll be un altered....

IMG_1096.jpg

Masked it with tape...

IMG_1097.jpg

And brought fourth the Dremel wiht a sanding tool and went at it!

IMG_1098.jpg

There, much better!

IMG_1099.jpg

Then I glued the wings together.

IMG_1101.jpg

Made a couple of inserts out of plasticard.

IMG_1103.jpg

And glued them in place....here you see an overview.

IMG_1104.jpg

What I´ll do after I get som food in me is to putty up the inserts and sand them to shape and then start making supports for the slats :)

CHeers!

I guess it would be quite simple to exchange the parts with some friendly ARCers... There are always people searching for hard wings for their Hasegawa Phantoms to do Vietnam era F-4Es :)

Greetings

Diego

Heheh...too late, the wings are cut up! :)

Where we go again!!! ;)

Yup :thumbsup:

Scratching, sanding, filling, swearing, painting, converting, sorrow and joy and everything else that´ll happen during the trip....yer welcom to join in :monkeydance:

:thumbsup: ehmm...ok, now my post will be to late...but aren't there slats from the fantom from Paragon???

And yes, I m one of rare species of wing-swappers...I ll swap a slatted wing with agelos next time! :woot.gif: (Ok, then I ve a reason for a JASDF F-4EJ pre KAI Phantom, hehe).

IIAF or IRIAF looks really interesting! In my opinion more interesting than IAF tooms. Look at the pics...seams the F-4E has full stenciling including panel numbering, I would recommend Icarus decals phantom data and/or hobbydecal (panel numbers). I go for a F-4D IIAF, but the project s idling at the moment (I am using Diego's decals too, they are great!!!)

:woot.gif: ehmm...ok, now my post will be to late...but aren't there slats from the fantom from Paragon???

And yes, I m one of rare species of wing-swappers...I ll swap a slatted wing with agelos next time! :woot.gif: (Ok, then I ve a reason for a JASDF F-4EJ pre KAI Phantom, hehe).

IIAF or IRIAF looks really interesting! In my opinion more interesting than IAF tooms. Look at the pics...seams the F-4E has full stenciling including panel numbering, I would recommend Icarus decals phantom data and/or hobbydecal (panel numbers). I go for a F-4D IIAF, but the project s idling at the moment (I am using Diego's decals too, they are great!!!)

I only found inboard slats from paragon on hannant´s.... but still, it´ll take a week before I got my ordered parts, much faster to build it myself ...not to mention cheaper :stooges:

How hard can it be? :P

Yup, I´m in for stenciling hell when it´s time to cross that bridge.... I thought I´d steal the stencils from a IsraDecal sheet I have lying around, I haven´t decided yet.

Thanx for the input tobiK :thumbsup:

Yep...you´ve seen right, it´s the third update just today :thumbsup:

I´ve puttied up the edges of the wing tips..I´ll be doing some cosmetic work around the positioning lights as well...Think there´s supposed to be a little bulge at the wingtips just behind the positioning lights.

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

I left the putty alone for now while it cures and set out to detail the landing gear struts with some piano wire and copper wire.

The nose wheel strut needed quit a bit of work actually, not much that corresponded with reality there.

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

The MLGs were more straight forward...some wire and they´re good.

IMG_1109.jpg

There Now I´ll give it a rest until tomorrow.

Cheers!

look here:http://www.hobbydecal.com/happy_board/happy_board.cgi?db=decal

the download zone, and there are F-4 stenciling pages to download! Very recommended and your stenciling hell will be a walk on the beach! Esp. for the panel numbering, and you will recognize that hasegawa forgot sometimes panels and or panlelines or has wrong ones...:thumbsup: Go for that work ... when it ll be finished, you will see it s worth the effort using all the tiny stencils and numbers!! (hmm...how could I know???) :woot.gif:

Second day on the Phantom...

I`ve continued with the slats att he wing tips ....mostly putty and sanding (as usual)

The top side is sanded and polished smooth...I noticed tho that I had to putty some on the under side as well...

IMG_1111.jpg

I really like the squadron white putty, it cures very fast and is easy to sand.... here´s the underside puttied and sanded.

IMG_1118.jpg

Starting on the finer details now, there are supposed to be bulges right behind the positioning lights at the wing tips and I think a slightly bigger radar sensor.

I started with some putty for the bulges and I´l let it cure until tomorrow before I start giving it shape.

IMG_1120.jpg

Thats it for the wingtips and slats for today, on with some painting!

I primed the parts flat black but the exhausts, they are primed with AlcladII gloss black primer.

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

Then I painted the exhausts in AlcladII Pale burnt metal and some streaking with AlcladII Exhaust.. I´ll continue tomorrow with some drybrushing and other weathering.

IMG_1122.jpg

Some stuff then got painted in flat white...

IMG_1123.jpg

And other stuff got painted in Hum 167, RAF Barely Grey. No the right FS color for cockpits but it works better since I`ve preshaded with black, otherwise it´d be too dark.

IMG_1127.jpg

Here you see how the black preshade makes the details really pop after a few very thin layers of paint...

Nose wheel strut

IMG_1124.jpg

The cockpit (painted in hum 167)

IMG_1125.jpg

Gonna be a busy day tomorrow...we´ll see how much i get done :whistle:

Cheers!

Looking great! The black primer really helps that cockpit look good. Lots of shadows. Keep it going. I will look forward to seeing how you navigate the gaps on the canopy sills. It gave me fits. Hopefully you can teach me a thing or two.

Work on the wings continue.....

In some masochistic way this is actually a bit fun....little by little the wings are starting to change shape and starting to look like slated wings...a bit at least :crying2:

I had started with the wing tips, there´s going to be a little bulga and a bigger radar sensor... well I had it puttied up pretty nice last night.

IMG_1120-1.jpg

Then I sanded it down to something that at least reassembles the bulge at the wing tip...

IMG_1128.jpg

After that I used my razor saw and cut out the little bud at the front corner of the wingtip.

IMG_1129.jpg

Then I gued the new sensor in place, it´s the tip of a rocket from my spare parts box.

IMG_1130.jpg

Time to change focus to the slats, the actuators actually. I meassured the spacing from a line drawing of the wing andmarked the spots and made small notches with my razer saw.

IMG_1131.jpg

I cut the actuators frpm plasticard strips and glued them into the notches, may have to change the length a bit later when I´ll fit the slats in place.

IMG_1132.jpg

Then I started on the inboard slats, just going to make the hinges or actuator housings or what they are. I didn´t have any plasticard thick enough so I glued three sheets

together and cut out the rough shapes. Here they are just dry fitted to see how it´ll look. They´ll need a little bit work before they´re finished.

Starting to look right at least :crying2:

IMG_1134.jpg

There, that´s the progress of this morning, I might be doing some work tonight as well :crying2:

Cheers!

I cut the actuators frpm plasticard strips and glued them into the notches, may have to change the length a bit later when I´ll fit the slats in place.

Cheers!

Hmmm...I thought about it before you posted the pics...I would have used wire, like copper wire for the actuators. Advantage: you can bend it into the right position and the won't break that easy like plastic strips will do.

Wow, you like the rough road!? Hehe...you said "masochism"??? :deadhorse1: