Done all the searches but can't find a good description of the difference of the F-4J (Navy) wing and the F-4S.

Funny enough after getting an F-4S kit, I actually want to build the F-4J. It looks like the outboard wing slats don't exist or are retracted on the J...

After figuring this out I may be up for trading or just swapping wings.

TIA

brian

The actual slats themselves were also different than those found on the F-4E/G/F. They have a noticeably different cross-section.

Because, as we know, nothing the Air Force does could possibly work for the Navy :) Not invented here.

Don't plan on swapping the "S" wing with a "J", it won't fit, you'll need to swap with a "Hard" wing F-4E, Hasegawa used the same wing from the "E" so the fuselage of the "S" is tooled the same as the fuselage of the "E" which is different from the Fuselage of the "J"...

Got that???

Curt

Edited by Netz

No, the wing in the S kit is correct for an S. Not correct to back date to a J.

That being said. I have used the J wing to back date an E into an earlier version. Not a perfect fit but with putty and some re-scribing it can be done. In fact I think I will start one of those today.

Both phantom and Dave Williams are correct, the Hasegawa 1/48 scale F-4S kit comes with the proper length fence already molded in place and the F-4E,F and G kits come with a common sprue that has the wing parts with the longer fence to use for a J, when reboxed as a S.

Both phantom and Dave Williams are correct, the Hasegawa 1/48 scale F-4S kit comes with the proper length fence already molded in place and the F-4E,F and G kits come with a common sprue that has the wing parts with the longer fence to use for a J, when reboxed as a S.

The instructions and parts layout for the latest F-4S kit shows you having to cut off the short wing fence and install the long wing fence. Also the parts layout shows the wing sprue having inserts without the catapult bridles and TISEO, neither which are used for the -S. It's a common wing sprue with the AF slatted wing kits.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10237789

Similarly, the hard wing sprue used in the -J and hard wing -E kit is the same. It's actually a -J wing with the bumps over top of the gear legs, which must be removed for the AF version.

Maybe long ago there was a different slatted wing sprue, but I believe they have been using a common one for a while now.

No, the wing in the S kit is correct for an S. Not correct to back date to a J.

That being said. I have used the J wing to back date an E into an earlier version. Not a perfect fit but with putty and some re-scribing it can be done. In fact I think I will start one of those today.

Sorry, but that is not correct. OOB the wing in the S kit is not correct for building an F-4S, as it is a mix of F-4S and F-4E/F/G wings:

1. Wing Bulge molded on - theoretically correct for an F-4S, but way overdone

2. Long wing fence molded on, but too thick

3. Outer slat profile would be about accurate for F-4E/F/G but definetely not for an F-4S

4. Inboard slats are more or less OK for F-4E/F/G, but wrong for the F-4S. On the F-4S the inboard slats do not fully retract into the wing leading edge. Even fully retracted they stand out of the leading edge the nose profile being lower than the wing nose profile.

Attached are two pics I have taken at Miramar which illustrate how the F-4S slats look.

F-4Soutboardslat.jpg

F-4Sinboardslat2.jpg

Cheers,

Joerg

Why do people keep saying that the wing in the -S kit has the long wing fence molded on? The instructions from the S kit posted above clearly show that you have to cut off the molded on short fence and glue on the long fence.

In the end, it's somewhat of a moot point how accurate the Hasegawa slatted wing sprues are as they only make one for all the current slatted wing kits. Unless you want to spend the time fully accurizing the kit parts, you're stuck with what Hasegawa gives you.

Getting back to the OP, the main difference between the F-4J and 4S is the latter had a slatted wing. If you have a Hasegawa 1/48 F-4S kit and want to build a -J, get the hard wing sprue, or swap for a F-4J kit.

Why do people keep saying that the wing in the -S kit has the long wing fence molded on? The instructions from the S kit posted above clearly show that you have to cut off the molded on short fence and glue on the long fence.

Sir, I stand corrected, you are quite right in that you must remove the short, E wing type fence and replace it with the longer S type. I have one of the 'Collectors' Hi-Grade Series' F-4S kits that I just looked at. I also have a kitbash I'll be doing at some point, using the wing from an F-4E to turn a J into an S.