Butt joins between wings and fuselage

Hey guys,

Need some advice. I have a few limited run kits that feature "butt joins" between the wings and fuselage. Clearly they require some degree of reinforcement. I don't think a full wing spar is necessary, but a simple male/female arrangement would be ideal, using styrene rod or something similar.

My question is, how do I align the stubs (that I'll add to the wings) to the holes (that I'll drill into the wing)? Obviously this is a crucial join, if not for the structural integrity of the model than for the aesthetic.

Or is there another strategy I haven't considered?

Discuss.... Thanks in advance.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

You'd have to draw out some line up marks, then measure down the line to a measured depth,then punch your centering holes,If your going to use an epoxy, I'd drill my female holes just a bit large to allow for adjustment, and let the epoxy fill the gap for structural integrity.

Line up marks; mock up the wing to fuselage joint, put 2 dots on the joint to mark each side (wing/fuselage), make 2-3-4 how ever many you think you need, do the same for the bottom of the wing approximately below the other dots of the upper wing, these will be your vertical line up line once a line connecting them is drawn, then decide on the depth of where you need the pin to be and measure that measurement equally on the wing and fuselage, this should put you where you need to be.

Curt

Edited by Netz

It would depend on scale and aircraft. If it's a little kit, you'd be surprised how tough they actually are. If it's a big heavy kit with all the weight on the wings, then epoxy or CA. If it's a hunk of solid resin just drill a couple of holes in the root and and some pins.

I've used an approach similar the "dowel center transfer plugs" used by woodworkers. Drill holes in the wings, put in pointed pins just long enough to poke out of the hole, then put the wing against the fuselage to mark the centers on the fuselage. Here are pictures of the woodworking item.

Clearly, it's important to make sure you can pull those pins out after you've marked the holes!!! :woot.gif:

Y'know, I've never had a problem with this. Flatten the joining ends really well, check dihedral and glue them up.

Of course, mine don't fly...

Ken

This works if the fuselage is split horizontally:

1) Dry-fit the fuselage halves together. VERY accurately. Keep them taped together.

2) Glue the wings on (or the upper halves if the wing is split). Again, take LOTS of care with the alignment.

3) Once the glue has dried, open the fuselage halves; drill from the interior towards the wing and add the pin(s) of your choice, working on one half at a time.

3b)If you want, you can provide for the pins to slide into a tube in the fuselage, but usually I don't find it is necessary unless the plastic is very flexible.

4) Proceed with the build.

I started this technique with the tailplanes, then wondered, "Why not?" and extended it to the wings.