A-6E TRAM Intruder "Puff the Magic Dragon"

Greetings all!

So here I am back again, this time with my 3rd completed build... The magnificent Grumman A-6E Intruder!

Here is the rundown of what went into this project:

Kit: 1/48 Revell A-6E Intruder

Markings: Fightertown "Booming Intruders" 48059 - VA-165 Boomers "Puff the Magic Dragon"

Detail Additions: None

Paint: Lifecolor, Gunze Aqueous, Tamiya Primer, Silver Paint Pen, Future, Valspar Rattle Can Flat

This one took me about 3 weeks to complete. I am very pleased with the final product, but getting there was not always easy. I had previously complained about my lack of skill in construction and seam removal, and I feel like I did make some progress here, but I do still have some improvement to make. But I did make a conscious effort this time to spend more time in this area.

As always, here are the difficulties I encountered in this build:

-This is my first "in-flight" build. I must say that modeling the gear doors closed on this plane is a MAJOR P.I.T.A.!!! Nothing lined up remotely close, and just getting them set close to in place was a chore. What I ended up doing was assembling the door parts together before putting them on the kit. I also used some strip styrene to make ledges for the doors to sit on and to adhere to with the cement. This worked acceptably. But there were still gaps and steps galore, and that really tested my aforementioned seam treatments. I will say that they were addressed satisfactorily (for me), but definitely nowhere near perfect.

-Canopy fitment still seems to be the bane of me. All three of my models have been build closed (I like that look better), and I still have not been able to get a canopy to close well, nor been able to fully address these misalignments afterwards. This one is OK I guess in that regard, but I will need to keep working on mastering this.

-Now let me start by saying the Fightertown Decals are FANTASTIC, and way better than the ones I have used previously (Superscale, PrintScale, and OOB), but that decal on the nose about killed me. I realized that complex curves like an airplane nose are hard to decal, so I cut the decal in half to try to mitigate those issues. Alas, I still could not get that thing to settle. So what I did was to use Solvaset on the decal as I was trying to set it in position over the nose. That worked, sorta. I ended up with some areas of the red in the front missing, so I had to mix some paint to paint over those areas. There are still some wrinkies in there if you look very closely, but to me it is good... Especially since I thought it was a lost cause at one point in the process. Incidentally, the two Dragons on each side were a piece of cake.

-The flight stand... Yeah, that didn't quite work out as I hoped. I will have to work on that, for this one and going forward.

-I am going to preemptively apologize for the quality of the forthcoming photos. They are taken in my office (where I display them) with my cell phone. I think next project I will take more time in the picture taking portion. I look at the other display threads here in the forum and everyone's pics are so much better than mine. LOL

Anyway, I have rambled on enough here. So here are the pics, I hope you like!

237636-16625-43.jpg

237637-16625-40.jpg

237638-16625-32.jpg

237639-16625-59.jpg

237640-16625-20.jpg

237641-16625-51.jpg

214081-16625-42.jpg

214086-16625-18.jpg

214087-16625-16.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

-Michael

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four

Nice build there, in flight pose is looking cool too. :)/>

Thanks Murad! I love the look of most aircraft better in-flight, but I REALLY need to work on my stand building.

Well, I think your efforts payed off because I think you did an excellent job on it! :thumbsup:/>

Thank you very much for you kind words. I am very pleased with this build.

Intruders looks best in flight, looks great!

Yeah, they look more purposeful and, dare I say it, almost elegant in flight. Much less so on the ground.

Looks great. I like the stand too. Simple and doesn't take from the model.

Do I get to see it in person today?

Thanks Kris! Nah, I don't feel like my work is worthy of entering the show just yet. But next year, I think I most definitely will be ready to enter something. Right now I am still trying to nail down techniques and building up my confidence.

BTW, sorry I did not get a chance to see you today. I was there, but not for long. I just had enough time to look at all the models in the show, and purchase a few deals (man, I bought 16 sets of decals I wanted for like $25 total!). I will try to get a hold of ya soon, I think I would like to join your model club we chatted about last year now that I am active.

I think this is my first time seeing an 1/48 Intruder in flight pose. It looks so beautiful. It is inspiring. As impressive as it is right now, I bet it would be even more awesome if you photographed it without the background clutter though :)/>

Thanks man! You are SOOOOO right! I never even considered the clutter, just took it to work then took pics. LOL Learning experience! Next one I will do that, heck, I even have a DSLR I could use instead of my crappy cell phone.

1/48 MiniHobby Su-37 in-flight is on the bench now... I know it is a crappy model, but I want to test my construction and seam filling prowess. stay tuned!

No problem. I think I noticed you a couple times but I was always mid conversation with someone.

They have a meeting next Sunday in fact. I doubt I'll be there going to the Michigan game Saturday and probably won't get home till midnight and then have to get kids on Sunday day.

This is one cool looking Intruder - I love it! I have the same decals set in my stash - it takes brave man to even try to apply this big, lovely looking flame. Not sure if I'll be brave enough :)/>

Thanks BJ!

LOL, as far as the decal is concerned, I think it was more naïveté than bravery. I knew it would not be easy to apply, but I had no idea what I was getting myself into! Despite the difficulties, I am very pleased (and relieved haha) on how it turned out. I hope to see an Intruder from you some day with these markings too!

• 6 months later...

I guess I missed this one too, Awesome again!

Thanks Kelly! It is kinda cool to look back at this build after completing a few more kits. I see things I think I have gotten the hang of now I did not do so well on this, and I see things I still struggle with.

Really nice Intruder!!! you did an awesome job cause that's not an easy kit! really really nice in-flight display!!

Thank you kike! Ya know, one of the things I really concentrated on getting better at was my in-flight stands, since a large portion of my builds will be in that configuration. I think I have gotten a lot better at making the bases, and have no kind of settled into a routine when making them.