F/A-18's Question

Guy's/Gal's

Have a question here. I have noticed on this forum and others of F/A-18 builds. When it comes to cockpit painting that lots pf people are painting them Dark Gull Gray FS36231. From my memory when i was with VFA-151 and looking at photos of the real cockpits Dark Gull Gray seems too dark. I test painted a pit with the Dark Gull Gray and it does seem awfully dark. I then repainted it wit Neutral Gray FS36270. The FS36270 seems closer to what the pics and my memory to the actual color. The instructions call for FS36231 but I believe this is wrong. So my question for you all is.

What's the right color?

I think 36231 is the correct official number, but I agree it tends to look darker especially if you use oil washes around the cockpit. I tend to use Tamiya XF-19, which looks ok to my eye. FS36270 should be ok as well, but that too may look darker if I remember correctly.

What's the right color?

The answer is, "whatever you think is correct". I have found many times that the FS color that is labeled on the jar is a bit wrong and in some cases, very wrong. Since you have experience with this very jet, go with your memory and don't worry about what the bottle of paint says. Also, all paint fades with time, so I usually lighten every color a bit anyway.

I think 36231 is the correct official number, but I agree it tends to look darker especially if you use oil washes around the cockpit. I tend to use Tamiya XF-19, which looks ok to my eye. FS36270 should be ok as well, but that too may look darker if I remember correctly.

I also use XF-19, because the official FS colour looks too dark to me as well. To my eye, having sat for more than 1,200 hours in various CF-18 cockpits over a 10-year span, XF-19 looks about right to me. To be quite honest, I have NEVER checked to see what the instructions stipulated for the cockpit overall grey colour.

This is what XF-19 looks like in one of my builds (1/48 Hasegawa CF-18B, using some PE).

P1210895_zps9e79b282.jpg

The answer is, "whatever you think is correct". I have found many times that the FS color that is labeled on the jar is a bit wrong and in some cases, very wrong. Since you have experience with this very jet, go with your memory and don't worry about what the bottle of paint says. Also, all paint fades with time, so I usually lighten every color a bit anyway.

Great advice as usual, Chuck!

ALF

Edited by ALF18

+1 on what Chuck said. I tend to use 36320 in most of my cockpits. Not too light, not too dark, I generally use either Model Master Acryl or Pactra.

Is there another Hornet in the works mate? ;)

+1 on what Chuck said. I tend to use 36320 in most of my cockpits. Not too light, not too dark, I generally use either Model Master Acryl or Pactra.

Is there another Hornet in the works mate? ;)/>

I can not confirm or deny that there is another Hornet in the works. If told you I would have to kill you! LoL

I have a Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18E on the bench. I can't seem to get my Vietnam GB kit going, no interest at this time. So I decided to go to something that has my interest. As of right now I do not intend to post a in progress thread at this time. I am taking photos with my Mobil phone so I might put some pictures out at some time.

Dark Gull Gray is the "correct" gov't assigned base color for jet cockpits, at least, as it was on the Hornets you worked on (also many now have black sidewalls). However, just like Alpagueur said above me, there is "scale effect" when working with smaller than 1:1 scale. Basically it means that the "correct" colors on full scale jets will appear to be a different color on a different scale which is exactly what you're seeing. Obviously this is going to have a big effect on the scales we're building. Just lighten it up a bit to taste & call it good.

Masterguns

Anyone got something that is painted with FS36231 Dark Gull Gray? I will post a pic of the pit painted with the bottle I used. The bottle I used came out real dark. I am talking euro gray range. Not as dark as euro gray but pretty close. Wonder if I picked up a bottle that was marked with wrong label.

Here's a picture of the pit I painted with the FS 36231 Dark Gull Gray.

b7dbfe31-7a2f-4d98-bb14-bc56bb2554a4_zpsoeo84ijn.jpg

This is a picture taken in the rear seat of a CF-18B, with NVG lighting installed and functional. I guess it is darker than it seems to be, but that 36231 seems dark. Note the variance in colours from panel to panel (touchups, etc). I still use XF-19 because I like the cockpits lighter so details stand out.

PDR_1150_zpsrib6ospw.jpg

ALF

Funny this came thread came up as I thought exactly the same when I was painting the cockpit of a Hasegawa A-4 not too long ago. It was just too dark for a realistic effect. Because I prime my cockpits in black, I went with 36375 and looks just about right.

Rob

Guys/Gals

I have more information on the correct color for F/A-18 cockpits. After speaking to someone in a corrosion control shop with a squadron I contacted the color listed in the publication is FS 36270. I also found on CyberModeler they have FS 36270 listed as cockpit colors for most current aircraft in the US inventory. The only exception is some F-16's and F-22's use FS 37030 Nato Black. I was told that for touch up's that other gray's are used when FS 36270 is not available. Like I said before looking at FS 36231 seemed too dark from my memory. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I hope this doe's not start any disagreements!