I still remember the day the Pentagon first released that pic of the F117 and acknowledging it's existence. I thought, and still do, think it looks cool and represented a revolution in capability. But its no secret it has a lot of trade offs for that stealth. Now, we have the Raptor and in the near future, the F-35. They can do the job much better and have a lot more capabilities. I also hear the F-117's maintenance requirements is huge or at least not easy. I think the Nighthawk's time to retire has come. It has served well.

Agree that the F-117's time has come.

- It's old, late 1970s technology.

- Built in small numbers, undoubtedly a very expensive plane to maintain.

- Being built in small numbers, spare parts are probably getting rare.

- Being built in small numbers, the limited number of airframes have had to shoulder the whole operational load and have likely accumulated a lot of hours (In essence, they're probably starting to wear out).

- Limited mission capability, it only does one thing.

- Technology has afforded a lot of its one-time unique capabilities to more standard airframes. B-1s and B-52s can launch PGMs now.

Tough to hear, but true. I think what makes it feel strange is the fact that they've only been publicly revealed for a relatively short time, having spent a third of their existence as virtual unknowns save for the constant stream of rumors which were always leaking out of Nevada about something going on there. So it *feels* like a newer aircraft than the Tomcat, even though many of them have the same number of years of service.

Well, most of the guys transitioning to the Raptor will not come from the F-117.

Most initial F-117 pilots were A-7 drivers. They didn't pick fighter jocks for the Nighthawk. It was purely a mud-mover from the get-go and they needed guys with that sort of experience.

Sad to see it go but there are much more improved weapon systems out there right now. I wonder if people will boo-hoo it's departure as much as they did the tomcat? :boohoo: <_< ;) :D

Jeff

You can bet your life they're flying something better, we don't know about yet. Lockheed Martin said a couple of years back they had five new black projects on the go, but added they weren't admitting to any more than that.

I wouldn't make that bet... I think the era of secret production planes is unfortunately over. The U-2, SR-71 and F-117 are going to hold a rare position in aviation history. Sure, they've "got black projects" going on, but that isn't on the same scale as what the F-117 project was. At best there's probably a UAV planed, but my opinion on that is ... Who cares. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Edwards, and word is that there's no show next year. So that was probably the swan song for the 410th as well.

Dave

- The North Spin - The Place for Everything Flight Test

http://www.thenorthspin.com

Sad to see it go but there are much more improved weapon systems out there right now. I wonder if people will boo-hoo it's departure as much as they did the tomcat?

I could start a few threads... we can have new one every week until the jet is taken out of service. And after that perhaps we could all make comments about how it was retired before it's time...

It would be nice if a few of the F-117 airframes made it into museums. Granted I doubt that will happen unless all the RAM material and IR exhaust tiles get stripped off and replaced with something that isn't classified. The rest of the airframe isn't really all that mysterious.

IIRC, the museum at Hill AFB is slated to get an F-117 post removal of the RAM material and other classified parts.

I could start a few threads... we can have new one every week until the jet is taken out of service. And after that perhaps we could all make comments about how it was retired before it's time...

Don't forget the Group Builds!

and the possibility of debates on which is better, the F-22 or F-117, and how a proposed upgrade to the F-117 fleet would have more than taken care of the AF's needs

I personally, would liked to a stealthized version of the T-37 that includes a full compliment of A2A missiles and thrust vectoring techonology. The TF-37X (For EXTREME!!! :whistle: ) would kick ***.

Edited by Keith Diamond
and the possibility of debates on which is better, the F-22 or F-117, and how a proposed upgrade to the F-117 fleet would have more than taken care of the AF's needs

I personally, would liked to a stealthized version of the T-37 that includes a full compliment of A2A missiles and thrust vectoring techonology. The TF-37X (For EXTREME!!! :worship: ) would kick ***.

The CoV must have some.......

Because they are EXTREME!!!!! :D

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Beings I have not seen the original pic of the F-117, could any one share a pic of it? It is sad, but we can't dwell on it forever. Ya Im not the happiest guy right now but darn we can't cry about her forever. I will miss the jacked up shapes of that sick looking dog. F-14 now the f-117, whats next the a-10, then the f-16 and the rest of the fleets out there? Just my 2$, but ut has done it's time, OH WELL..........

LB :cheers::cheers:

QF-16s are supposed to start appearing as aerial targets in late 2008/early 2009.

SIGN ME UP! :lol:

Despite the fact that Vipers are by far my favorite aircraft, I can't wait to see some as drones. I wonder what blocks they're going to use though.

Probably those As, Bs and ADF models from the boneyard.

well, I would guess at least those, but what about the aircraft due to retire soon? BRAC lists 25s, 30s, 32s and even some 42s from Luke. The use of 25s might bother me, since I'm sure many of the 25s that were based at Shaw during DS have some history on them. And I'll naturally assume that if Block 42 90-0778 is set to retire, it'll be saved.

Don't forget the Group Builds!

Speaking of which we'll need a F-117 Sunset... you what the hell, we'll go all out and have State funeral for the -117.

I personally, would liked to a stealthized version of the T-37 that includes a full compliment of A2A missiles and thrust vectoring techonology. The TF-37X (For EXTREME!!! ) would kick ***.

You mean the Stinkbug 21 proposal?!! No kidding, it would have kicked the snot out of the Raptor... I mean really why are we replacing the Nighthawk with an obviously inferior plane... I mean really....

Edited by Rapier01

Hm,

Well, I dont have a lot of room, but I would happily give one of those QF-16's a safe home. Just out of the goodness of my heart you understand.

Off Topic sort of: How much are target drone aircraft allowed to manouver? Straight and level doesnt seem too good for the whole development phase of a develoment program.