Shoot down yesterday

Sorry folks, I just had to write this. It's funny how folks back home reacted to it and the thread just grew.

An answer to someone's question in that thread: There are no safe areas over here. If I go down.... I am on my own until SAR stops by or I get myself out of dodge. This place is the wild west... and each one of us that goes up every day knows we may not come back down...nature of the work. It still hurts loosing a fellow in the field, and thinking of their family back home.

Everyday I see the ground pounders doing the real work... those guys are my hero's.

Atis in the sandbox

Edited by Collin

That was the first thing my wife and I discussed when we heard of the crash. Would he have had much of a chance on the ground with only a .45 and some extra clips?

I'm not sure I'd call it a shoot-down though.

Chappie

Collin stay safe and be careful. As for the F-16 that went down I pray for that soldier. Yes he was a pilot and a soldier and a hero. God bless him. I want to go off right now on the media but I wont out of respect for ARC staff and the men and women who serve this nation everday. God bless them all and I pray for a safe homecoming for them all.

That was the first thing my wife and I discussed when we heard of the crash. Would he have had much of a chance on the ground with only a .45 and some extra clips?

I'm not sure I'd call it a shoot-down though.

Chappie

I fly with a few more items besides the standard 9mm (not worth the weight IMO)..... against the regs, but it's my butt. Almost everyone does the same over here.

Agree with your comment, should just have said "crashed"

Well....Off to work.

Atis

Edited by Collin
Collin,

What branch and unit or what do you fly? I may end up over there in January.

I'm an 0-4 in the Navy... NFO type. The rest I can't discuss in the forum.

0420 in the morning here...off to bed.

Cheers

Atis

Got word I have a slot back with the Air Force reserves and will probably be in the next AEF slot. Since I will be losing my civilian job in January I was asked if I wanted to move up my enlistment date - NOT! I may get a chance to see the Samurais in action.

By the way... so Collin outranks Waco.......

Collin .. do you know Spongebob?

By the way... so Collin outranks Waco.......

Collin is a Navy O-4 pay grade aka Lt Commander

Waco is a USAF O-4 pay grade aka Major

Earliest date of rank would determine seniority.

To Collin and all other warriors "in the sandbox", God Speed, be safe and best wishes for quick return to your friends and family. My sincerest thanks for your service to our great country. :thumbsup::worship::banana:

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78
Collin is a Navy O-4 pay grade aka Lt Commander

Waco is a USAF O-4 pay grade aka Major

Earliest date of rank would determine seniority.

To Collin and all other warriors "in the sandbox", God Speed, be safe and best wishes for quick return to your friends and family. My sincerest thanks for your service to our great country. :thumbsup::worship::banana:

Darwin

Darwin,

I know my paygrades and ranks along with the promotion cycles since I have been in the Air Force/Reserves and going back in - I just didnt realize that Waco got promoted to Major thats why I asked the question. I'll pay alot more attention to his pictures next time.

From www.af.mil

Defense officials release name of downed F-16 pilot

11/29/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- Department of Defense officials announced today the identity of an Airman listed as duty status - whereabouts unknown.

Maj. Troy L. Gilbert was the pilot of an Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon engaged in support of coalition ground combat operations that crashed approximately 20 miles northwest of Baghdad Nov. 27.

Major Gilbert is assigned to the 309th Fighter Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz. and currently deployed to the 332nd Expeditionary Wing, Balad Air Base, Iraq.

An investigation is ongoing.

Darwin,

I know my paygrades and ranks along with the promotion cycles since I have been in the Air Force/Reserves and going back in - I just didnt realize that Waco got promoted to Major thats why I asked the question. I'll pay alot more attention to his pictures next time.

Yeah, I also didn't know until those recent Raptor pictures that Waco got promoted. Siesta, Collin and everyone else that currently in the area, or about to go, stay safe. Stay safe and return home to your families. :blink:

uhhh the question maybe looks stupid, but for a Belgian guy i missed some of your expression sometimes...., what does mean " being in the sandbox" ? a kind of "i'm in active duty" ?

pat, police officer ( Glock 17 with 20 rounds in) and former Lt in the Signal corps.....

yep, talking about the Falcon crash, very sad, i didn't want to open provided link just to see a pilot down; a life is a life and it's always difficult to loose someone.

It's pretty difficult to find words when talking about all those guys going to war in Iraq or other places; i for sure think that each of their days would be difficult, beeing on guard all the time. we could never forget that in our daily job when we've got a bad day we have the chance to found our family when back home, not them.

In recent years... Instructors pilots from Air Education Command and some test pilots have been sent back temporarily to operations squadrons to fly operation combat missions. I know weapons school instructors have flown combat with squadrons as well.

I only know Collin from this board and a bunch of off board conversations we've had...he was an Atsugi type, but we have mutual friends.

I'm moving to Pax River in two weeks so I'll see him when he gets back though.

Spongebob