Monogram F-4J Phantom

Hello all. I am getting ready to do a Monogram F-4J (Thank's Josh!) and it comes with decals for the MIG killer flown by Cunningham and Driscoll. I don't really want to do the all-white belly scheme, so I was wondering, were the F-4J's ever camoflaged differently than that? Also, what decal options are available for this kit? If I do go with the white underbelly, is there a set of Jolly Rogers decals out there? If I did that, I would have an F-4, F-14 and F/A-18F in those markings. Thank you for your help.

Aaron

Hello all. I am getting ready to do a Monogram F-4J (Thank's Josh!) and it comes with decals for the MIG killer flown by Cunningham and Driscoll. I don't really want to do the all-white belly scheme, so I was wondering, were the F-4J's ever camoflaged differently than that? Also, what decal options are available for this kit? If I do go with the white underbelly, is there a set of Jolly Rogers decals out there? If I did that, I would have an F-4, F-14 and F/A-18F in those markings. Thank you for your help.

Aaron

I believe Yellowhammer decals makes Vf-84 markings if you lokking for 1/48 scale. Also try Eaglestrike productions.

I may be off, but I think the Navy took a 'J' (not sure what sq.), called it a 'G', and painted it in an all green camo scheme in Nam. Pretty basic paintjob though with not a lot of markings, but different from the run of the mill. Said it was too hard to see on the deck at night.

I may be off, but I think the Navy took a 'J' (not sure what sq.), called it a 'G', and painted it in an all green camo scheme in Nam. Pretty basic paintjob though with not a lot of markings, but different from the run of the mill. Said it was too hard to see on the deck at night.

That experiment was tried in '66 (aboard the Kitty Hawk and Constellation), so I think it would've only been done on F-4B's, not J's. It didn't last very long, because it didn't have any noticeable effect in terms of reducing combat losses, and I think it also made it more difficult for the LSOs to see the a/c, particularly at night...

Daniel

Aaron

Areomaster makes the F-4J, VF-84, that's what I used on mine.

I am 2 for 3 with my "modern" Jolly Roger's markings. I've got the F-4J & F-14A done and now have the F-18F in the stash. I actually have a F-14B also with Jolly Rogers markings in the stash.

I've been going all Hasegawa with Black Box cockpits on my Jolly Rogers kits. You could also go all Monogram/Revel I suppose (would be cheaper at least!).

Theoretically can you make an AF phantom from the Monogram J? Yes, it does have some similarity to the F-4D, but it's an AWFULLY huge amount of work to get there.. Wrong pylons, wrong nose doors, wrong so many things. Funny thing is, it actually has the correct cockpit for an AF bird, so there's the starting point.

Aaron

Has anyone mentioned the angular Ferris scheme? As someone already pointed out the Green scheme was only tried on F-4B models without much success.

Gary

And they STILL had white bottoms. They were indeed modified B's called G's of which the survivors were modified back to Bs. Some of those later became Ns.

Don't know if any ever became QF-4Ns or not. But it is possible.

And as such, would be harder to turn a Monogram Phantom (or Hasegawa) J into any of the above, better chance into a C or D. And even then....that taint easy without a buttload of modifacations.

As already mentioned, VX-4 had an all-black F-4J. VX-4 also had an all-white F-4J.

Markings for both the all-white and all-black F-4J's are this sheet (click link)- Superscale 48-974 Review

Late in their Navy career many F-4Js were painted in overall gloss gull gray (translation - no white bottom). Markings for an overall gray VF-121 F-4J are available on this sheet (click link) - Superscale 48-984 Review

Early in the conversion of some F-4Js into F-4Ss, there was a shortage of kits for the slatted wings. The result was that the early batches of F-4Ss didn't receive the wing slats before they were re-introduced into the fleet. (Later, these jets were fitted with the slatted wings.) These "slat-less" F-4S's were often referred to as "Super Js". The only external features to distinguish "Super Js" from regular F-4Js were the low-voltage formation light strips, the layout of the vents flanking the nosegear bay, and the "F-4S" title above the BuNo. Most (if not all) "Super Js" were delivered in overall gloss gull gray paint schemes.

The VMFA-235 F-4S on this sheet was a overall gloss gull gray painted "Super J" (click link) Eagle Strike 48-180 Review

The VMFA-333 F-4S on this sheet was also a "Super J" painted in overall gloss gull gray (click link) Eagle Strike 48-181 Review

(If you apply the decals that represent the low-voltage formation light strips and install intake antennas (part of the ALQ-126 system installed late on F-4Js), you can effectively represent a "Super J". The F-4S RIOs instrument panel is a little different than the F-4J RIO's instrument panel, but in 1/48th the change is not noticeable to 99% of modelers. Incidentally, when "Super J"s received the wing slats to become "proper" F-4S's, they were normally repainted in the 3-shade gray low-vis colors.)

So there you go, 5 more F-4J options - 3 Navy and 2 Marine! 1 black, 1 white, and 3 gray without the white bottom. Hope this helps you decide. (ahem... MARINE... cough... cough)

Edited by John Bibay
As already mentioned, VX-4 had an all-black F-4J. VX-4 also had an all-white F-4J.

Markings for both the all-white and all-black F-4J's are this sheet (click link)- Superscale 48-974 Review

Late in their Navy career many F-4Js were painted in overall gloss gull gray (translation - no white bottom). Markings for an overall gray VF-121 F-4J are available on this sheet (click link) - Superscale 48-984 Review

Early in the conversion of some F-4Js into F-4Ss, there was a shortage of kits for the slatted wings. The result was that the early batches of F-4Ss didn't receive the wing slats before they were re-introduced into the fleet. (Later, these jets were fitted with the slatted wings.) These "slat-less" F-4S's were often referred to as "Super Js". The only external features to distinguish "Super Js" from regular F-4Js were the low-voltage formation light strips, the layout of the vents flanking the nosegear bay, and the "F-4S" title above the BuNo. Most (if not all) "Super Js" were delivered in overall gloss gull gray paint schemes.

The VMFA-235 F-4S on this sheet was a overall gloss gull gray painted "Super J" (click link) Eagle Strike 48-180 Review

The VMFA-333 F-4S on this sheet was also a "Super J" painted in overall gloss gull gray (click link) Eagle Strike 48-181 Review

(If you apply the decals that represent the low-voltage formation light strips and install intake antennas (part of the ALQ-126 system installed late on F-4Js), you can effectively represent a "Super J". The F-4S RIOs instrument panel is a little different than the F-4J RIO's instrument panel, but in 1/48th the change is not noticeable to 99% of modelers. Incidentally, when "Super J"s received the wing slats to become "proper" F-4S's, they were normally repainted in the 3-shade gray low-vis colors.)

So there you go, 5 more F-4J options - 3 Navy and 2 Marine! 1 black, 1 white, and 3 gray without the white bottom. Hope this helps you decide. (ahem... MARINE... cough... cough)

Humm...a Jarhead in the collection :rofl: ...I will have to think about that one a while. Sounds like a possibility though. Thank you for the help.

Aaron