Hey Pete,

If I might offer a suggestion, that's going to be a pretty big model. What I would so is have a resin duplicate made of your master so that you can cut it up and leave inside the shells for support and strength. I've done that on the NC4 and my Trimotor, and it makes handeling those thin shells so much easier.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the support! I know what you're saying, but there really isnt any room for that with the nose gear bay, cockpits, speedbrake bays, main gear wells, and two full intake trunks and burner sections...all of that is inside the fuselage..Plus all of the CAD work has already worked out all the internals-That'd be a pretty big mid-course correction.

In a perfect world I'd 3D print the whole fuselage...Maybe next time!

Regards,

Pig

Outstanding pig, but I have an idea for fuselage construction which might work as its commonly used for RC stuff, especially smaller scale models (which this is, in RC terms)

Carve and sand the fuselage from blue foam, then cover in brown packing tape, then cover in 2 or 3 layers of fiberglass and epoxy, with a finish coat of epoxy/microballoons.

Then dissolve out the foam through a convenient opening (such as the jet pipe/intakes)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188980

http://www.pssaonline.co.uk/designer-tech/...%20Janssens.htm

http://www.favonius.com/soaring/lost_foam/lost_foam.htm

http://home.scarlet.be/~ls6pjc/Construction%20methodes.htm

Just some food for thought really, in case you decided to do another large model, panel lines etc can be scribed into the epoxy/microballoons top coat.

If you wanted to be really smart, you could cut the foam plug using a CNC milling machine, and create the 3D shape in CAD, something like Rhino would work well.

Brilliant work though,

Matt

Hi Pig,

What an edjumacation you're giving us. This is a total eye-opener. I love the glimpse of the rudder and how the surface detail is likely to look. Superb!

Thanks for sharing the photos of the industrial forming process, fascinating stuff that.

I like how the raised strips give you the position of the bulkheads on the inner face of the shells. That is some marvellous forward thinking.

Can't wait to see what you do next. :worship:

:cheers:

Hi Pig,

What an edjumacation you're giving us. This is a total eye-opener. I love the glimpse of the rudder and how the surface detail is likely to look. Superb!

Thanks for sharing the photos of the industrial forming process, fascinating stuff that.

I like how the raised strips give you the position of the bulkheads on the inner face of the shells. That is some marvellous forward thinking.

Can't wait to see what you do next. :jaw-dropping:

:cheers:

Hi Guy!

Great to hear from you-Thanks for stopping by!

I wish I could say the bulkhead-locator trick was my idea...this was just one of the many pearls of wisdom that Timmy! hath bestowed on me :)

Regards-

Pig

Watching this build from the beginning is really making me think that this will be the future of our hobby. When people can CAD/CAM their own patterns/bulkheads/parts like you and Timmy! have done, we'll see a lot more thing being made, and a lot more interesting things. Garage companies will pop up making some really obscure detail parts and whole kits. You'll go to contests and see models you've never seen before, instead of table after table filled with Phantoms and 1/32 Hornets. I think this build, while AWESOME, is made more exciting by the implications it has for the next 30 years of our hobby.

Don't worry Kevin - the ordinary Joe doesn't have the time, interest or skills necessary to pull this off. That's why we have Tamiya, Hasegawa, Kinetic and others to do it for us :thumbsup::cheers:

:thumbsup: Looking at this piece of art, and reading all the work that has been done so far on e is getting speechless!!

Pete if you need some very small sanding tools PM me! Boman has some so ask him how they are!

And keep up the work of Art PLEASE! :cheers::thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Sorry. Here's a link-

LSP

Pig

I wish I could build like you or had the time and the space to do it..it is AWESOME build. :yahoo:

It is a HUMONGOUS build...

Look forward to more of your links/updates here... :woot.gif:

how long have you been building it and how long will it take for you to complete it...Just curious...

I guess that sort of scale will be just as hard and mind boggling as say your other scale 1:32 sclae..would that be correct ?

HOLMES :wasntme:

Edited by HOLMES