Raptors wield 'unfair' advantage at Red Flag

Somersault happened at about 1:25 in the video.

Bam, just had a chance to watch the video again. To me, it looks like it did a very controlled micro loop in a square shape using it's thrust vectoring to square the edges. That's just my perspective, you're probably right though. :huh:

Probably a better depiction would be the fencer in the 'On Guard' position and a Ninja dropping down from above and behind him with a Samurai sword in full swing.

Regards

Jim Barr

I like the idea. The F-22 "Ninja" has a good ring to it.

Overhead yesterday at the duty desk, from TOPGUN's BFM SME, who had the chance to fight a Raptor piloted by our exchange dude -

"that thing is <expletive deleted> magic"

"the laws of physics do not apply to that airplane"

I love it!! :thumbsup: The more I read about this airplane the more it amazes me. How can one not be awed by its appearance and capabilities? Too bad we can't take a Raptor back to 1903 and show the Wright Brothers what has become of their invention.

As a maintenance guy, I love the fact that we are starting to have paperless airplanes. Will the F-35 be as maintanece friendly?

Chappie

This thread is most amusing.

...(and very cool) name.

I'd call that a pretty subjective issue and certainly up for personal interpretation, but hey... you're the one flying it :thumbsup:

-Jeremy

(who sees the appropriateness in bird-of-prey names, but somehow thinks they could be cooler)

Edited by Skull Leader
Or we go the way of the previous twin-engine, twin-tail, single seat, air superiority fighter, and call it by its knighted (and very cool) name.

Rodan II it is then ! :thumbsup:

Gregg

Overhead yesterday at the duty desk, from TOPGUN's BFM SME, who had the chance to fight a Raptor piloted by our exchange dude -

"that thing is <expletive deleted> magic"

"the laws of physics do not apply to that airplane"

Guess it's a good thing the ol Tomcat rode off into the sunset before the current Red Flag!

Mark (running for cover)

Hmmm, Ninja as an unofficial nickname sounds perfect to me. We have the Rhino, the Aardvark, the Thud, the Warthog, the Viper. Why not the Ninja?

Ninja or as GreyGhost recommended Rodan II (too) sounds good as the unofficial nickname. :thumbsup:

Well, if the F-22 hadn't all these advantages over the legacy fighters, it wouldn't be worth all that *** money.

Which is why it's important (at least to me) to highlight and mention the success of the Raptor. Let's face it, the various media outlets is not as friendly to the Raptor program. How many times have we read of the various nagging little problems and to have it blown all out of proportion by them, not to mention somebody always asking is the Raptor's "high" price tag justified?

Do we want to keep hearing about this negative things? I don't. I want to hear how my tax dollars is help funding the best and most lethal fighter ever developed. I want to hear how well it does. I want to hear how well it works with other platforms in a joint environment to get the job done, etc.

The general population is very short sighted and short on memory. Constant reinforcement of how good the Raptor is and how well it does it's job I believe is important in support of the program. All of this is, of course, is just my opinion.

Edited by Raptor Supporter

Dozer's comment on the Raptor's performance at Red Flag at Fencecheck:

I was at the Red Flag, Chaps (the RAAF guy), was pretty funny about the whole F-22 thing. Flew against him. This article echoes what I and other F-22 pilots have been trying to say, the F-22 dominates, even in the toughest scenarios we can throw at it - it's not made up or a urban legend, its really an incredible machine. Its not biased F-22 guys you have to trust, there are regular fighter pilots flying against the F-22 every day that can attest to what this jet is capable of, regardless of what Sperry & company may think. Some people still think an F-16 can outmaneuver an F-22, can't convince everyone.....

:thumbsup:

Guess it's a good thing the ol Tomcat rode off into the sunset before the current Red Flag!

Mark (running for cover)

In the interest of helping the inevitable carping be more accurate, the guy in question is a Hornet pilot.

@Raptor Supporter: I didn't want to offend you or anyone here or step on s.o. toes. I just thought, with the money spent on the development of the F-22, all Americans should expect to get the best of the best possible fighter. No problem with underlining its superioty.

Here in Germany, the media and politics did tear the Eurofighter program as well. I never fully comprehend that criticism. Now it entered operational service and I like it to see it in the air. (Although I am a purebred legacy Hornet fan). Cheers!

Ya know what, I'm glad for this thread...seems like I never hear anything on its true capabilities, other than standard limited specs (length, weight, manufacturer, top speed, etc) which doesn't really paint a very complete picture. I'm very reassured reading this...

Pretty much..... and I guess if I'm not worthy to see the Raptor,....well... ahem *sniff*.... then I'll just fling myself into the path of a taxiing Cessna 172

:lol: Nooo!!! Anything but that! Hey, wait...I used to fly those! (huh)

Hmmm...I wonder what the "Yugo" of the aircraft world would be? That could be quite a thread in itself!