New Tamiya 1/48 F-16

This really stinks, I'm going to have to use instructions to build an F-16!! I have not used instructions on Haseagwa kits for about 10 years!! :wacko:

What would it take to make these kits into Block 40s? Scratch a HUD?

Chappie

Edited by Chappie
This really stinks, I'm going to have to use instructions to build an F-16!! I have not used instructions on Haseagwa kits for about 10 years!! :wacko:

What would it take to make these kits into Block 40s? Scratch a HUD?

Chappie

I am no F-16 expert, but I think a new HUD and the scab plates, TGP's you want and that would be it! at least from a modellers perspective.

Wow. This looks like an awesome kit! I've never put pilots in my models but with this JHMCS pilot, I may put one in these Tamiya kits.

BTW, I just went to my LHS (which is mostly R/C) an ordered two kits. Hopefully, I'll get them in a couple weeks.

Boy, I sooo hope they do an F-16E.

Chappie

Yes the Tamiya kit will be better. It benefits from 25 years of kit design and technology over the Hasegawa. Go compare your 2007 Lexus to your top of the line 1982 Toyota and tell me why Toyota is at fault for not keeping the '82 model up to date.

I'll buy a Tamiya kit but I won't be getting rid of my Hasegawas.

I agree with everything you say except this comparison doesn't fit.. 1982 Toyotas aren't still on the car lots being sold as new cars.

And I won't be getting rid of my Hasegawa kits either! :doh:

:cheers:

Jack

The Tamiya F-16 CJ is in no doubt a very nice modell. but still. It's "Only" a Block 50 and has no option for block 52, and thus have limited verson and decal options.

There are by my count alot more blk 40 and 30 vipers in the US than 50's.

Like many said the Hasegawa CJ kit, have some shortcomings,but still has the options for building with minor modifications virtually all blocks from 25/30 and up.

While the Tamiya viper will out of the box give a very nice block 50, with some modifications a block 30 or a block 40

(Need WAR HUD and some extra strengthening plates for the block 40)

I still can't wait to get my hands on it althoug I wish they had made provitions for a block 52 aswell. (NSI and PW Engine) that would have opend for a whole lot of options.With some modifications like a new tail and non bulged weel doors (can be stolen from a hase kit) build into a very nice Block 15/AM

• 1 month later...
Tiger,

As we seem to have all speculated, the sprues are laid out in such a way as to make allowances for subsequent versions. Also, as was pointed out, the fuselage is molded in such a way as to indicate that a family model is forthcoming...something a LOT of folks would love to see. Whilst fondling my sprues, I noted that it wouldn't be that hard for Tamiya to produce the needed bits to pop a block 25 kit or a block 40 with minimal cost.

Anyone have anything to add? Anyone...anyone...Bueller?

RS

I agree, it does appear to be setup for further versions, however, how often has Tamiya ever done more than three variants off of one base kit? Perhaps this one will break that streak, but it seems that there could be 8-10 versions off of this tooling. I just afraid that we'll get a Thunderbirds block 30 and they'll call it a day like they did in 1/32.

Perhaps they were just including the necessary parts to allow the aftermarket guys come out with parts to mod kits.

I'd sure like to see the other engine, a block 40 equipped version (that I can mix and match the other engine parts to), even a way back early model with older tail planes, vertical, etc. Not too much of a stretch for them to tool the whole family from that one basic setup.

Add two seaters and the E/F non-US models, and Tamiya could crank these out for a good while yet. Somehow, I just don't see them doing it - given their past history.

Hope they prove me wrong!

'78

Even if they do stop with the T-birds kit, we are still in the same boat that we were with Hasegawa.....except with a far superior kit. I just want a D....that's all I'm REALLY hoping for.

Yes indeed, a much better kit - but at least with Hasegawa you can go back and build an A, A+ early C, MLU, B and D - let alone block numbers. They really did cover the full gamut - now there were tweaks required in almost every case, but at least the fundamentals were there.

My gripe is a gripe about Tamiya in general, we get these vastly superior models, but they never exploit the mold possibilities as far as they could - it's my belief based on how these are cut that they really could do EVERY variant from the earliest A through and E or F - Particularly once they do the narrow intake/exhast for the Pratt engine variants - after that it's verticals, horizontals (for the earliest versions) and other scab-on parts.

Believe me, I hope they'll do most of them, particularly block 40/42, as for me that's got the best markings and weapons possibilities (early Afterburner decals anyone). Not that it can't be done relatively easily as it stands, I'd just like to have Tamiya tool up the appropriate weapons, pods, and similar - as they'd be nice to have for other projects as well.

In fairness, I need to give them time, it's only been out for about a month in regular release, and hopefully they'll prove me VERY wrong over the longer term - heck it took until last year before they finally did the Fw190A-8!

And while we're on the subject of "versions on the table" - let's get that Block 40/42 in 1/32 as well!

In the end, they have a long version of leaving opportunities on the table - off the top of my head - F4F-3, Fw190A-5/6, Mossies w/ two stage Merlins, P-47N - let's hope they don't do that in this case.

Paul

Edited by pcotcher

So there's no provision for a Pratt engine in the kit? I was going to get this kit so I could do a Swamp Fox bird that I shot some pics of at Pensacola. Does anyone know if the Hasegawa intake and burner can will fit?

Man this sucks...

Jon

So there's no provision for a Pratt engine in the kit? I was going to get this kit so I could do a Swamp Fox bird that I shot some pics of at Pensacola. Does anyone know if the Hasegawa intake and burner can will fit?

Man this sucks...

Jon

Patience my young Jedi, I would bet the farm that they do a Tbird jet next. Which is a P&W powered A/C

Patience my young Jedi, I would bet the farm that they do a Tbird jet next. Which is a P&W powered A/C

If we get the T-Bird kit just about every Block C-model could be built. I just don't see how they could NOT do kits for all the major Blocks and variants. And if Tamiya doesn't I'm sure the aftermarket will. Hopefully, we'll get the kind of ride from this kit as we did with the Hasegawa family.

Chappie

Tamiya did the F-16A FSD a/c not the YF-16.

I found this over on Hyperscale about how to go about building a YF-16.

Curt

It's not even close. Even Tamiya's "original" 48th F-16 shape is that

of an FSD aircraft (F-16A pre production), even though it has some prototype

surface features. Some areas are the smaller size, like the intake and

stabs. The stabs represent the size from the prototype, and not the

smaller stabs of Block 1-10.

The Otaki/ARII/Entex kit is the best kit to use to build a prototype,

but it needs some work and corrections itself. First off, it needs a plausible

cockpit and ESCAP seat. The canopy is terrible, being way too narrow

and some what short. A bubble cross sectional canopy needs to be used, but

also note that the canopy break/cut, is a degree or two steeper than the production Viper canopy.

The OTAKI intake profile is way off, but you can use Tamiya's intake as a

good replacement. The wheels wells should be addressed, as they are

"similar" to the production version, though minus the JFS manual pump,

Halon, battery, etc... The plumbing, ducting and wiring arrangement

also had a different layout, but the basic structure from say “the Hasegawa

kit†would work.

The MLG gear is all wrong, as it's way too thick/ out of scale. The Hasegawa

or Italeri gear can be used, though some mods will have to be done,

especially in the nose gear. The NLG steering actuator was a vertical

mount and a heavy base mount structure on the upper strut. The main and nose

wheels are pretty much the same as the production versions, with some minor

structure changes to the main wheels. The nose wheel (8 bolt) is the same

wheel as on the F-4 nose, which is the case for the F-16A/B initial

production run as well. In other words, the Hasegawa main/nose wheels

are ok to use, despite being a bit under scaled themselves.

Mike V