Need input from the resident fighter guys

Ok, I got some Sierra Hotel know it all trying to edjumicate me on radio call when a guy fires a missile (this started as a question about a excerpt from Dos Gringos' "Jerimiah Weed"), and he's telling me that a "Fox-3" is for the AMRAAM.

Now last I checked, "Fox-3" was the call for the F-14 when they would kick-off a Phoenix. Again IIRC, the 'Raamer should be "Fox-1" (with a 'Winder being "fox-2"), correct? And poppin off the gun doesnt have a "Fox" call, right?

Ves :soapbox:

I'm pretty sure this is correct:

"Fox One": a radar guided missile.

"Fox Two": a heat seeking missile.

"Fox Three": a Phoenix or AMRAAM.

"Fox Four": a bomber gunner firing on a target.

"Guns": guns.

Edited by David Walker

Fox 1 should be a semi-active radar guided missile, while Fox 3 is an active radar missile. I beleive at one time Fox-3 was used for guns but was discontinued with the introduction of the AMRAAM.

From what I've learned in my GCI controller training...

FOX1: Semi active radar missile/AIM-7

FOX2: IR missile/AIM-9

FOX3: Active radar missile/AIM-120

I've never heard a 'guns' call being referred with a FOX designation.

Correct - Fox 3 is active, so yes it would have been used with the Phoenix but it's used now with AMRAAM.

Here's one up your alley Karl, what's called out when a HARM is fired ? :huh:

Or is there no specific shout out for them being a AGM ?

Gregg

Here's a list of many: http://www.dxworld.com/codes.html

From what I can tell, for most any missile launch--it refers to the CATEGORY of missile, not a specific type. So an ASRAAM would be Fox-2 like a Sidewinder, as they're both heatseekers. AMRAAM, Meteor, R-77, and Phoenix are all Fox-3. And Magnum could be used for a Shrike as well as a HARM.

Edited by David Hingtgen
"MAGNUM" is typical for HARM shots...but not exclusive.

I recall stories that in Desert Storm the Iraqi SAM crews were so afraid of HARMS that aircrew that didn't even carry them often shouted "MAGNUM!" on an open frequency, and that this usually was enough to coerce the Iraqis to hastily shut down their radar.

FWIW!

Cheers,

Andre

Here's one up your alley Karl, what's called out when a HARM is fired ? :)

Or is there no specific shout out for them being a AGM ?

Gregg

One of my Desert Storm books has an interview with USN crews about a recon mission deep in Iraq and they said DOWNTOWN was used as the HARM shot call-sign. I remember the story cos the shooter (A-7 IIRC) went "Downtown...Downtown....Downtown" 3 times in succession which kinda spooked the F-14 crew :thumbsup:

One of my Desert Storm books has an interview with USN crews about a recon mission deep in Iraq and they said DOWNTOWN was used as the HARM shot call-sign. I remember the story cos the shooter (A-7 IIRC) went "Downtown...Downtown....Downtown" 3 times in succession which kinda spooked the F-14 crew :thumbsup:

First I've heard of it... for as long as I've been in the business (and presumably for a bit of time before then...) it's been, as Waco said, "Magnum."

First I've heard of it... for as long as I've been in the business (and presumably for a bit of time before then...) it's been, as Waco said, "Magnum."

R-77

I don't know what the Russians say, but when simulating a bandit you just call out whatever shot it is you're simulating... (so now the nutjobs with their scanners on highway 50 have the answer to their question... "what does San Antonio have to do with any of this?!")

Red-1, 2xAdders on the West Group!!!

SNAKES ON A PLANE!!! I WANT THESE MerF-ing SNAKES OFF THIS MerF-ing PLANE!

"Jacques, there's a SNAKE in the Plane, Jacques, I HATE SNAKES JACQUES ! I HATE SNAKES ! " - Indiana Jones

"That's just my pet snake Reggie, show a little backbone will ya ..." - Jacques

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
Was Shotgun ever used for a HARM shot? I remember readying that at some point.

Not to my knowlege - but it could predate. Lots of things predate me. Like Waco.

Here's a couple other for you

JDAM - Thunder

SLAM-ER - Long Rifle

JSOW - Pigs Away (no, I'm not kidding)

I read somewhere that "Fox Five" was half jokingly used in conversation to refer to a midair collision with the target aircraft.

Edited by DutyCat

Found it! "Our callsign for a HARM shot was 'dowtown' after Colonel Broughton's book on going downtown to Hanoi during Vietnam" From the WAPJ Gulf Air War debrief. Article is by Lieutenant Commander David Parsons, VF-32, Prowler was from VAQ-137, article describes TARPS missions to Al Asad and Al Qaim.

I read somewhere that "Fox Five" was half jokingly used in conversation to refer to a midair collision with the target aircraft.

The proper radio call for that is "Oh s**t!"

Found it! "Our callsign for a HARM shot was 'dowtown' after Colonel Broughton's book on going downtown to Hanoi during Vietnam" From the WAPJ Gulf Air War debrief. Article is by Lieutenant Commander David Parsons, VF-32, Prowler was from VAQ-137, article describes TARPS missions to Al Asad and Al Qaim.

Not necessarily a good idea to come up with their own double secret code words, since everybody else will be wondering what the hell they're talking about. Other crews might like to know a HARM is airborne, especially if they're actually targeted by a SAM or dodging a big smoke trail, which turns out to be a friendly ARM.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Not to my knowlege - but it could predate. Lots of things predate me. Like Waco.

Here's a couple other for you

JDAM - Thunder

SLAM-ER - Long Rifle

JSOW - Pigs Away (no, I'm not kidding)

Ahh! That explains why Jane's F/A-18E simulation AI says the latter!

Edited by Ironhead