In Progress - Roden 1/32 Albatros D.III

Hi all,

I am currently building the Roden 1/32 scale Albatros D.III on consignment for a good friend of mine who is a big fan of the mercurial German Ace, Werner Voss, (he has asked me to paint the aircraft in Voss' markings). I mainly build in 1/48 scale, however my last project was in 1/72 scale and was quite an eye strain, so moving stright from 1/72 to 1/32 was a bit of a jump. Alot has been written already on the Roden Albatros, so I will not repeat it here, rather I will show what I did and let you decide on the merits of the kit for yourself!

The first step was the engine - Roden has made a nice representation of the 160HP Mercedes D.III, but improvements can be made. Firstly, the distributor boxes (parts 8Z) have major sinkholes that need filling. I did so with putty. The prop shaft (part 9Z) is not included in the instructions - it should be sandwiched between the engine halves in step 6. I drilled holes in the distributor caps on part 8Z to accept the ignition wires. Roden represents the spark plugs as little blobs on the side of each cylinder - I cut these off and drilled holes in their place to take lengths of fuse wire to represent the ignition wires. Over these wires, I threaded some finely heat streched Q-tips cut to size and glued them at the cylinder end to represent the end of the spark plugs - these to me look much better. I also replaced kit parts 6Z, 3Z and 7Z with plastic rod or fine solder as the kit parts were not round and had seam lines that would require clean up (hey I'm lazy). The kit engine's rocker arm springs are also a bit too blobby - I replaced these with wound fuse wire, added caps from sliced plastic rod, and arms from wire. Again, in my opinion these look much more convincing. Other additions included scratchbuilding fuel pressurisation air pump on the front of the engine (why do manufacturers ALWAYS omit this from their kits??), and adding some other bits of wiring.

Here are some pics of the engine before and after paint:

D3002.jpgD3003.jpgD3004.jpgD3006.jpg

D3010.jpgD3009.jpgD3011.jpgD3015.jpg

Currently, I am working on the cockpit and foward fuselage structure.

Roden supplies all of the bulkheads in the forward fuselage, which is great! There are alot of sprue attachment points and mould release tabs on the bulkheads, and a number of them were bent. Careful removal with a sharp knife and straightening helps here. Also, I beleive Roden gets you to install the 3rd bulkhead from the front (part 45A) backwards - the side with the rounded top should be on the port side to match the others, and the flat topped side should be on the starboard side. Also, make sure this bulkhead is slanted at the correct angle. In fact, the entire engine support frame work structure was a little tricky - I installed the fwd and aft most bulkheads onto the supporting boards first, aligning, then fitting the centre bulkheads.

Roden provide positive locating tabs on the fuselage sides for the bulkheads, which in the instructions attach to the fuselage before closing. As the roden fuselage is not very stiff, I could see alignment issues if I followed the instructions. Therefore, I decided to take a different approach and build the forward fuselage interior as one assembly before installation into the fuselage. This ensures allignment of all of the forward fuselage interior, and as the bulkheads have recesses for the moulded fusealge stringers, it is an easy job to scratch the stringers and run them all the way back along the fuselage. Here's how it looks (obviously unpainted):

D3017.jpgD3016.jpg

And here is is with some of the major components dry fitted to give an idea of where everything sits.

D3018.jpgD3019.jpg

Next is on to painting - I have never tried to replicate a wood grain in this scale before so it should be fun.

All comments and feedback welcome!

BC

Hi Brad, great work so far. This is a very interesting article and I hope to follow this closely. I'm sure there are more than one of us who wanted to see what was in the kit before we took the plunge.

Keep posting the updates mate. This thread should end up being a terrific reference for future builds.

(Skyking.........how's this for a coincidence? Tell me,..... what jet would you like to build? :worship:.......... :worship: )

:worship:

HIya Guy

(Skyking.........how's this for a coincidence? Tell me,..... what jet would you like to build? :cheers: .......... :P )

Funny you should mention that. Pete "Pig" F. and I have a challenge of sorts for later this summer. I am going to build a jet, and he is going to do a biplane. We're going to put up a list of subjects as a poll and we'll let the guys here pick what we are stuck with... er, I mean, what we have to finish. It should be fun. Want to get in on it Guy?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Skyking
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all - finally some more progress on this kit.

Firstly, I decided to display the cowls off. It was a relatively easy job to remove the cowls and thin the edges.

D3020.jpg

The fuselage halves had large sink holes smack bang in the middle that needed filling and sanding. As I had basically already built up the interior framework, I sanded off the frame work on the fuselage halves.

The cockpit supplied in the kit is well detailed and I didn't have to add anything drastic at all - I only added a few bits and pieces from the Eduard etched set and some scratchbuilding. Extra details included seat cushions made from putty, control horns and pulleys to the control column and rudder bar, triggers to the control column, trigger wires to the triggers, wiring to all of the gauges, switches and controls, and rigging of the controls from Aeroclub elastic. Seat belts came from the coloured part of the Eduard etched set, as did the gauges. Here's some pics (ok, lots of pics!) of the whole interior painted.

D3021.jpgD3022.jpgD3024.jpg

D3025.jpgD3027.jpg

D3028.jpgD3029.jpg

And finally, dry fitted to the fuselage:

D3031.jpgD3033.jpg

Next, onto major construction. As always, feedback welcomed!

BC

Looks great as usual Brad. Your wood graining pooks most convincing. For the seat cusion you mentioned you used putty... I am assuming an epoxy type of putty such as Milliput? I have to make a couple for my T4M and have some two part epoxy putty I want to try making them as well as the cockpit coaming out of.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Skyking

Wow, that is lovely. I agree about the wood graining effect. It is very realistic. I had wondered what had become of this build. I guess you can't rush beauty! Some excellent progress!

:) ;)

this is one of the most inspiring in-progress works I've seen this year!

I'm with Arseny on this one Brad. Terrific work. :crying2:

The level of detail is superb and the wood effect is very convincing. The thing feels "old"

What appears to be haphazard wiring, antiquated gauges and the back head off a steam locomotive ( :boohoo: ) all conspire to give a brilliant charm to this build. Very "Heath Robinson" and all the better for it!

I'm already sure that this will remain a favourite reference for many modellers in years to come. Here's looking forward to the next update. ;)

:banana:

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

It's been a while between drinks on this one but I thought I would at least post some pics to show I'm still building the thing!

Well the fusealge, lower wings, tail and upper fuselage decking is all together. All I can say here is be VERY careful with the fit, it's very tight in places and definately be prepared to do some clean up. That said, it's nothing a little patience and some filler can't handle. I removed all of the moulded fusealge hatches as the Eduard photoeched set provides all of these and most of the moulded on detail I damaged during clean up of the fuselage seams.

Anyways, I have now attempted to paint the varnished plywood fuselage - I am happy enough with it but as always I am still learning so I welcome feedback!

D3036.jpg

D3037.jpg

D3038.jpg

Cheers,

BC

Very inspiring work, i would like to build a WWI era airplane now hahaha.

You know.. i would love it if it was a see through model! It would achieve that museum quality standard.

Anyway... about the wood effect, i like the interior effect, in the outside i would apply a wash to achieve that worn wood effect with different shades of brown and a a tiny part of black should do the job.

Erick.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, yet more progress pics (it's been a while since last update!!)...

Since last update, I have finished majr painting, as well as built, painted and added the machine guns to the upper decking. I have also added all of the little hatches and panels to the kit from the Eduard etched fret.

It was then time for clear coating and decalling. I used a combination of the kit decals and the new Spada decals for Voss' machine as it appeared in June 1917.

Once the decals were on, it was time for clear coat, an oil wash, and the major weathering step (it is much easier to do this prior to the top wing going on). I went for a heavily weathered look on this aircraft. Voss used this Albatros extensively throughout Feb-Jun 1917 and scored a large number of his kills on it.

Weathering was done using silver paint for paint chips and various oversprays of the panel lines. I also chipped away the heart decal on the port side where lots of scuffs from ladders and pilot / groundcrew climbing in and out of the cockpit would have occured. Some may think it is overdone....

Anyways, here are some quick pics of her dryfitted to the undercarriage and wheels...

D3044.jpg

D3045.jpg

Next is onto painting the prop and exhaust, then on to the big step of attaching the top wing... the end is in sight! Comments welcome!

BC

Edited by Brad Cancian

Wow! Well worth the wait Brad, she looks terrific.

Voss' mount is a great choice of subject for this aeroplane, the colours and markings really set the sleek outline off to a tee :D

In my opinion you've nailed the weathering. The spinner has the appearance of painted metal, very hard to achieve in a convincing fashion but it looks just right. Also, the chipped heart is a lovely touch.

I don't think you could improve this much more. One of the most appealing things about these older aeroplanes in my eyes is the combination of materials used in their construction and you've managed to create this contrast beautifully.

Marvellous job. Let's see what she looks like with the upper wing in place soon, eh?

:cheers: