What if Schemes

On the topic of What if's. What about a Canadian version on a SU-39. I think I might just build this when I get back home from Afghanistan. Got to thank Steve Lewis for the idea his Marine Corp SU-25 in "Sharp Shooters" markings was my inspiration and got the ball rolling in my head. Perhaps in 439 'Fangs of Death' Squadron as it was originally an "army co-operative" squadron and then a fighter/bomber sqd durring WW 2.

Edited by Ecks
Thanks for the comments guys.

Here's two more.

Gripen-SwissC-D.jpg

tempted to do a modern USN bird in the WWII tri-tone colour... not sure how well it would work tho.... anyone done this?

Still kickin' it old school:

IMG_9787.jpg

Only 10 P6M1s (P-6A after '62) were delivered to the US Navy at the end of the 1950s, and these aircraft were used to develop systems and tactics for using the aircraft as an Anti-Surface & ASW platform (the original role having been done away with when idea of sub-launched ballistic missiles became practical). Over time the aircraft were used as flying testbeds for the newer P6M2A (later P-6B), being re-worked with the ASW gear from the Marlin & fitted with the retractable landing gear being developed for the newer model. These aircraft were never issued to any front-line squadrons (though briefly six aircraft were used during the Cuban missile crisis), but instead were floated around at the various sea plane bases as part of the evaluation program. When the P-6B prototypes were being delivered, some of the A models made their way to other uses, with four aircraft being modified for use as drone launchers. These aircraft received winglets (sometimes referred to by crews as BAWs - Big A** Winglets), dorsal pylon, stabilization fins under the T tail, and had their gun turrets removed. While normally used to launch one or two Ryan Firebee drones, the Navy did experiment with using a drone based on the USAF Hound Dog cruise missile, but this didn't last long due to protests from the Airforce. These drone launching aircraft remained in service until the mid '70s, when they were replaced by a mix of P-3s and P-6Bs.

Y'all can't really tell by the pic, but I finished this bird in a Gull Gray/RAF sky green /Sand, with Black & B.A. Blue trim, with markings from the spares box. I started this one four years ago but got burnt out with the amount of PSR the ol' Revell kit needed.

Build thread on What If Modelers

Ves :bandhead2:

Edited by Vesper

Ves, cool P-6A ! I like how you used the 'AJ' tailcode ...

It looks good all 'moderned' up ...

Moritz, your F-111C is sharp looking too ...

The 'Vark looks good in that scheme ...

Gregg

Not an F-15E in F-14D colours, but an F-15A (profile's a C, but don't tell anyone) in F-4E colours (tail code is "Betty Lou's"):

F-15C-armed_SEA-finalShark.png

Here's a version without the sharkmouth.

F-15C-armed_SEA-finalwo_Shark.png

For once, I think I like the version without the sharkmouth better. Maybe I should have gone for fewer but bigger teeth?

EDIT:

Yeah, bigger and fewer teeth seem to do the trick. Although the F-4E Betty Lou had a lot of small teeth.

F-15C-armed_SEA-finalShark-biggerte.png

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Thanks, guys! :whistle:

Next project is a VF-111 Eagle. I'm thinking about painting the drop tank red, as the F-15 has no ventral strakes that could be painted.

Hey, the Eagle looks pretty darn good in the SEA scheme ... <...>

It really does, doesn't it? :)