F-14 Tomcat Parking Only

After being fed up with seeing all the JR and Black Lion schemes on Display jets here is Valiant Air Commands F-14a from VF-41 The Black Aces (Buno 161134), I will post the walkaround i did of her, which i was planning to Model but my abilities are a little short :(

normal_DSCF0251.JPGnormal_DSCF0252.JPGnormal_DSCF0253.JPG

Edited by UK_tomcat_fan

I will be back in december for a few more pics, will be doing a walkaround on their prowler, plus a F-14 cockpit look :(, also in the future i will be living nearby with my Fiance (she lives in Melbourne FL, whilst im stuck in cold wet UK)

Edited by UK_tomcat_fan
1998, Fallon Nevada. I was told that the airframe was used as a source of parts for NSAWCs Tomcats

Hi Fuji , did you got my e-mails ??? I will send you the sharkteeth centerline photo soon.

Do you know the BuNo of this Tomcat ??

TIA , Henk

Edited by sundowner

It was used as a crash and rescue trainer and to train deck crew in the fine art of spotting aircraft on the flightdeck and hangar space. They referred to these Tomcats as 'Duds'. The last one, F-14A 160905, sailed aboard the Kitty Hawk giving it the distinction of being the last Tomcat to go to sea aboard a carrier.

Cheers,

Dave

160905070406-N-9864S-018__0VQRO.jpg

160905F-14AUSSKittyHawk050113-N-578.jpg

050113-N-5781F-041 Pacific Ocean (Jan. 13, 2005) - Crash-and-salvage personnel rig a training skeleton of an F-14 Tomcat to "Tilly," a mobile crane used aboard USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63). Tilly is used to move damaged aircraft off the flight line during crash and salvage operations. Kitty Hawk's crash-and-salvage team serves as the ship's flight deck firefighting crew. Currently conducting sea trials in the western Pacific Ocean, Kitty Hawk demonstrates power projection and sea control as the U.S. Navy's only permanently forward-deployed aircraft carrier, operating from Yokosuka, Japan. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Bo Flannigan (RELEASED)

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

When I went to the library, they didnt have their Tomcat yet!

Interesting that they got an Alpha with the NACA vents, you'd think they could have found an old Alpha from the boneyard with the old style grill vents...

Nice pic! I wonder why its kind of beat up.....

Never seen this picture before does anyone have the story about it F-14 nose artwork

Robert

I don't think that's an operational F-14. It's missing it's nose landing gear doors, launch bar and the AOA indexer is hanging down from the nose strut. It looks like a dud used for towing and crash 'n smash practice on the Kitty. The nose scheme looks like it was done by VFA-195, think Chippy Ho.

HTH

Reddog :D

They referred to these Tomcats as 'Duds'.

That's just sick treating such a fine machine like that, but at least I now know the Navy's term for what the AF called "hangar Queens".

Think Aflac duck on crack. . .

Ves B)

B) :thumbsup::taunt:

Edited by Angels49

Dud's are different from Hangar Queens, Hangar Queens are just spare parts holders but will fly again. Duds have been stricken off the records and nothing more then rust on wheels, something for the ship's company guys to "crunch" when the airwing ain't around. :worship:

Reddog :thumbsup: