F-18E/F and EA-18G

Can super hornets carry any thing other than fuel tank on the center line pylon

Various VFA-103 jets with the three other things I've seen. Think the first one is a data link pod of some sort but I might be wrong. That's followed by ARS and SHARP.

1094431109_da5c7247d5_z.jpg

3794741161_3903439ea3_z.jpg

3795562368_c655e46722_z.jpg

Edited by J.Stone

Various VFA-103 jets with the three other things I've seen. Think the first one is a data link pod of some sort but I might be wrong. That's followed by ARS and SHARP.

Great set of photos Jeff!

Here's a couple of mine from roughly the same time frames.

vfa103july09096.jpg

vfa1032009132.jpg

vfa-103073.jpg

Jeff, Brian,

Nice shots of the Victory Jets ...

Is the black/nearly black markings the current on their Lo-Viz Jets ? I like them that way ... :woot.gif:

-Gregg

Jeff, Brian,

Nice shots of the Victory Jets ...

Is the black/nearly black markings the current on their Lo-Viz Jets ? I like them that way ... :woot.gif:

-Gregg

Thanks Gregg!

The lo vis jets now have medium grey markings...they're pretty lo vis.

Thanks Brian ...

I had seen some of the lower vis jets on the Navy site then seen your's and Jeff's photos and was wondering if they were switching to what you guys posted ... Wishful thinking on my part, I guess ...

-Gregg

I have the luck of working across the street from where Boeing does the final assembly on Superhornets and F-15s.

I've been trying for a while to get some shots and today I did!

So here ya go.

7349599858_07e40d3591_b.jpg

7164389639_15c0f1afc5_b.jpg

7164390523_f9c4e80ee5_b.jpg

7349602652_047c783cb1_b.jpg

I had to crop as I only brought my 200mm, usually they are MUCH lower and fly earlier giving better lighting.

Im bringing my 500mm tomorrow and will hope for a lower flight pattern and better light.

There are some more here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmanny/sets/72157630076153138/detail/

Its been gone for a while, maybe shes on her way home. That would be fantastic, we could use it back, that bird is a tank. It was actually down for about 2 years sitting outside the hanger and stripped of parts because it was down for an in depth airframe repair. It took us about 3 months to put the jet back together and get it in the air. Now that jet flies great. Boeing loaned it from us to take to Brazil as a demo for foriegn sales, its very possible that they took it to St. Louis to catch up on inspections and maintenance before giving it back to us, I think we are ssupposed to accept it back sometime in July.

Gregg, we actually do the airshows around the country, not Boeing. The airshow birds are we have configured right now are 223, 226 and 240.

Edited by rightwinger26

Yes, I'm aware of VFA-106 and -122 handling the airshow demonstrations around the country but Boeing does the Trade Shows and as you pointed out, the Foreign Sales demonstrations ...

With the Farnborough Airshow coming up next month, the Boeing Pilots are probably practicing their show routines just across the river in Illinois ... I should have been more clear, I apologize ... :worship: You're probably completely right on the status of the jet and why it's in STL too ...

-Gregg

Hello!

I am going to do Super Hornet in 1/32, can ask the help in search of this information? http://postimage.org/gallery/mjcqhr4/

Everywhere it is a lot of photos, but all the same it is not clear that there inside...... I don't think that it is military secret.

Thankful in advance, Andrey. :rolleyes:

Andrey, sorry, I cannot provide you with pictures or drawings what is inside, but I can tell you what is it:

The first and the second photo are the airborne refueling probe. It's usually covered with a (two- or three-part, IIRC) lid, normally closed, though there were cases some operators removed the covers, to prevent it from blocking, so the naked probe was seen all the time.

The third photo is an air brake on one of F/A-18E prototypes. However, as far as I remember serial F/A-18E/Fs do not have this thing - instead they have a "virtual air brake" solved by computer-operated special usage of different steering surfaces (rudders, flaps, ailerons, horizontal stabilizers).

I hope it helps.

Jacek

Various VFA-103 jets with the three other things I've seen. Think the first one is a data link pod of some sort but I might be wrong.[...]

1094431109_da5c7247d5_z.jpg

Affirmative, it looks like an AN/AWW-13 data pod (or similar), used for AGM-62 Walleye and AGM-84 SLAM/SLAM-ER.

Another option is the "personal pod". I haven't seen such for quite a long time, but I suppose it should be shorter than the one here.

Kind regards,

Jacek

Edited by Jacek Z.

Andrey, sorry, I cannot provide you with pictures or drawings what is inside, but I can tell you what is it:

The first and the second photo are the airborne refueling probe. It's usually covered with a (two- or three-part, IIRC) lid, normally closed, though there were cases some operators removed the covers, to prevent it from blocking, so the naked probe was seen all the time.

The third photo is an air brake on one of F/A-18E prototypes. However, as far as I remember serial F/A-18E/Fs do not have this thing - instead they have a "virtual air brake" solved by computer-operated special usage of different steering surfaces (rudders, flaps, ailerons, horizontal stabilizers).

I hope it helps.

Jacek

I think I can help, the first two photos are indeed of the IFR probe, there is a fairing that attaches to the probe itself, the long portion you see missing, then there is a small door that covers the tip that only opens when the probe is extending or retracting. Most of the time when you see that fairing missing it was removed because it was damaged, i.e. a basket slap, bird strike or such, it's not a flight critical panel, and that goes for the whole hornet family, not just Supers. The last photo is a picture of the lex spoiler, basically speed brake, all Supers have them.

Oop, on closer inspection the first photo both doors are indeed missing, but that looks like it might be an old fire trainer, it looks like the IFR probe is removed, it's hard to tell, small photo and I have bad eyes. The second photo you can see the small panel I was talking about with the probe extended, and that is a later lot Charlie

Edited by rightwinger26