Super Hornet "Older Style ECS Vents and Heat Blankets".....

Hi Fellas,

Does anyone out there have any close up/detail pics of this area on Super Hornets?

I have done an extensive search for pics of this area but to no avail.I have found plenty of photos of the newer type ECS Pipes, but nothing on the older style as depicted in the Hasegawa kit.

I would just like to have a close look at this area so i can paint it correctly or make any nessesary additions if need be, but can't find any close ups anywhere, i am hoping someone might have a pic or two in their collection i could check out.

Also, if anyone has a drawing or topside photo of where exactly the Heat Blankets go i would be very grateful as well.

As usual, any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff.

Thanks for the pics David!

These photos of yours show these vents much better than any that i could find.It looks as though thay are painted at the front and a bare metal colour towards the rear.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Jeff.

FleetFlypastSuperHornetSneakPass.jpg

Looks like the entire thing is bare metal, but the exhaust from the vents either burns or chips away the paint. You can see one has a bit of paint left between the BMF and the vent, but the lower vent has lost all of its paint. It could be a heat issue with the engines underneath this area, as well. Very interesting detail!

This is cropped from an illustration that was in Janes ...

F-18E_edited.jpg

One thing I've always wondered is, why are they different on each side, you'd think they would need to be the same ...

HTH ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

The other thing I have noticed from some research is they look quite iterally like heat tiles epoxied over the airframe. They have a texture and are even glued a little sloppy.

I scratch-built these on my Revell Superhornet with Tamiya tape. I laid it down and used an Xacto knife to cut them to shape just as shown in the picture above by Gray Ghost. Looked and works great! The self-adhesive nature of Tamiya tape made things easy.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the pics and info!!!..........this is way more than i thought i would of been able to get.

Gregg, excellent illustration of where exactly the Heat Blankets go, thanks mate.

The other thing I have noticed from some research is they look quite iterally like heat tiles epoxied over the airframe. They have a texture and are even glued a little sloppy.

I scratch-built these on my Revell Superhornet with Tamiya tape. I laid it down and used an Xacto knife to cut them to shape just as shown in the picture above by Gray Ghost. Looked and works great! The self-adhesive nature of Tamiya tape made things easy.

Great idea Toad!.....i was thinking of using some thin Lead Foil sheet, but you have given me another option now, thanks.

This is as close as you can get, though it doesn't show the entire area:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0823256/M/

David, that photo is Gold mate!...excellent shot.I searched Airliners.net but didn't come across this one, thank you. :redx:

John, thanks a lot for those pics, superb photos!!

The last couple of shots were fantastic and should clear the matter up. This site is awsome, modelers helping modelers.

Cheers,

Dave

Second that Dave, great guys here on ARC mate!

Cheers,

Jeff.

Edited by Gambler
FleetFlypastSuperHornetSneakPass.jpg

Looks like the entire thing is bare metal, but the exhaust from the vents either burns or chips away the paint. You can see one has a bit of paint left between the BMF and the vent, but the lower vent has lost all of its paint. It could be a heat issue with the engines underneath this area, as well. Very interesting detail!

Your right there Mark!.....i've never looked so much at this area on the Super Hornet before! :redx:

Cheers,

Jeff.

Afterburner does the heat blankets in decal and Steel Beach has a set of self-adhesive vinyl ones if you don't want to do them yourself.

Darren, i was going to get a set of yours off Gordon, but his website has them listed as out of stock.Will you be sending him some more soon, or is there anywhere else i can get them?

Cheers,

Jeff.

The vinyl cutter just called and said they were done. I'll be picking them up next week and will get them to Gordon around the end of October. They should be available shortly after that. They sold quicker than I thought they were going to, so I didn't have a big enough order the first time.

The vinyl cutter just called and said they were done. I'll be picking them up next week and will get them to Gordon around the end of October. They should be available shortly after that. They sold quicker than I thought they were going to, so I didn't have a big enough order the first time.

Thanks Darren, i'll get in touch with Gordon, see if he can send me some when they come in.

Cheers,

Jeff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Nick, I'm real sorry i didn't reply to you for posting these fantastic pics mate, i thought the thread was done and dusted, and i was just showing a family member some of the pics the guys posted for me when i came across these ones you posted!

Many thanks, as the guys said, you just can't get any better than those, unbelievable! :coolio:

Thanks again Nick,

Cheers,

Jeff.