How dirty can it get ??

Guys, how as the title says, how dirty can a land based hornet get ? I'm gonna paint my hornet in "The Gators" marking, do you have any references pics, is there a rule about dirtying your hornet, I mean which section should be dirtier than the other ?

Regards

JJ

Guys, how as the title says, how dirty can a land based hornet get ? I'm gonna paint my hornet in "The Gators" marking, do you have any references pics, is there a rule about dirtying your hornet, I mean which section should be dirtier than the other ?

Regards

JJ

My units Hornets were ground based and they still got dirty. They still leaked fluids, our hands got dirty which marked the airframe, our boots left marks on the fuselage, the guns left powder stains. Rain, sleet, and snow, tossed up dirt. I think you get the picture.

When we were in Europe, they would turn black just flying in that environment. Back in Canada they get bleached from the sun and therefore we don't have the same problem we had in Europe.

The first place I notice things get REALLY dirty quickly is the main landing gear struts and especially the wheel hubs. When we change a tire and get a good mainmount from supply, the hub is glossy white. That wheel can stay on the jet for quite some time if they don't pound them on the flight deck of a carrier... The accumulated dirt and brake dust on top of hydraulic fluid can turn the wheel hub almost as black as the tire itself!

Lots of potential for spot touch-ups for landlocked navy jets, as they don't really appreciate us repainting them all the time while underway at sea!

I'd guess that depending on the situation, they can get pretty darn dirty. However, from what I've seen of them at home base, VMFA-142 keeps their jets on the clean side. Here are a few pix of a Gators F-18 taken at the NAS Atlanta airshow in 2004 that may help.

2002459973523450805_rs.jpg

2002427025796600826_rs.jpg

2002493529860866400_rs.jpg

:(

Great pic guy, thanks, I've read something about "spot priming", "daily / weekly access door" can you enlighten me on those ??

Regards

JAhja

The daily/weekly door thing was a Tomcat-ism, referring to the engine nacelle doors...

Our land based hornets sometimes do one better than just spot painting. Walking out to a jet today I passed a gray B model with a tan trailing edge flap, and another gray one with a primer green rudder.

At a Randolph AFB airshow we sent a Hornet with a tan leading edge flap. Apparently the Air Force maintainers took pity and offered to paint it for the crew if they could stay an extra day.

Hi squezzer, do Swiss Hornet really clean ? I mean no oil leak whatsoever ??

One more question abput hornet guys, I'm planning on building the hornet for my wife who are really fond of "Indenpendence Day" movie, any suggestions?

JJ

Really very clean!

Of coursen there are some normal leakage but they re are cleaned just during the thruflight inspection.

For exemple, the swiss tech always clean up the steps of the integrated ladder with a cloth after they step down!

Edited by squezzer
  • 3 weeks later...

'142 is a reserve unit. They tend to keep their birds on the cleaner side.

But if you want to "dirty" them up. They get trashed!

Smudge the panels, canopy rails, tanks,walkways, landing gear,etc.,etc.

I don't have any pics but you can try airliners.net

*%$-+, they can get that dirty ?????

I wonder what can make that Hornet looking like that ? oil, grease or what??

But I think the new breed (F-18E) still looking pretty clean, are they ?

Think I can go along... the way dirtying up my Hornet, apart from manipulating the painting proccess, what other techniques can you guys recommend ?

Regards

JJ

While not land based, here is an example of just how dirty our Hornets can get during combat ops......

VMFA-323overIraq125.jpg

you know the cool thing about that pic? to me, it looks more camo'd than a clean hornet! i mean look at it, it really blends in pretty well to the ground. maybe the navy should look into just burying their aircraft for a month or so before putting them into service. it could be the "Camouflaged Realistic Aircraft Program" I think my next hornet will incorporate the new C-R-A-P scheme. :wacko:

*%$-+, they can get that dirty ?????

I wonder what can make that Hornet looking like that ? oil, grease or what??

But I think the new breed (F-18E) still looking pretty clean, are they ?

Think I can go along... the way dirtying up my Hornet, apart from manipulating the painting proccess, what other techniques can you guys recommend ?

Regards

JJ

check out the tools and tips section.....do a search for weathering....

There is a TON of knowledge in there.