Well, the second go around was better than the first. After the photos were taken I noticed the landing gear struts came loose from the main gear, gotta love those close ups. The mottles came out a little larger than I wanted but overall I'm reasonably happy with it and it's kinda of a cool paint scheme. Next up will be a Ju 88 or a Macchi C 202, can't make up my mind.

DSCN0181.JPG

DSCN0183.JPG

DSCN0195.JPG

DSCN0196.JPG

DSCN0200.JPG

Edited by The Mikester
I don't think the Italians had any. They had SM.79s and the like.

They had a few. Most of my books are in transit right now so I can't give you any citation.

Tauro has decals for 3 examples on their sheet 72-534. Mind you I wouldn't use any decal sheet as a reference. In any case this sheet is has a nice mixture of subjects. Besides the 88s, it includes Fi 156 also in Italian colors, Cant Z.506, and Fiat CR.25.

Nice Fw 190 Mike.

I like the Hasegawa Ju 88 I started too, but it was set aside to work on a Marauder III for this build. And yes, the Italians did operate a few Ju 88s. Someone (cant rememebr who) just did a decal and resin part set for Italian Ju 88s. I had one in my Hannant's shopping cart, but they sold out before I actually placed the order.

Thanks for the comments, guys. :thumbsup:

My Ju 88 will definitely be a Luftwaffe bird in desert colors. I was going to do an A-14 of LG 1 flown by Herbert Isachsen, who had quite a career. I can't find a red "D" with a white outline for the fuselage code in 1/72 though. The back up is an A-14 flown by KG 54, RLM 79 with a loose white and green "Wellenmunster" on the top and green on the bottom. It has the big Totenkopf as well so it's a cool looking plane, AIMS does the decals for it.

Mike,

There are many code letters available on the AirDoc Ju 88 sets, if the LG 1 option is still of interest to you, I will take a look to see if the red 'D' is an option.

Chuck....aren't the AirDocs 1/48 or are the same sets available in braille scale too?

Mike...if they are available in 1/72 there are lots of code letters on the sheets for sure. I picked up

a set for my Dragon 1:48 kits a while back.

Nice work on the Jabo BTW....love the camo :cheers:

Chuck....aren't the AirDocs 1/48 or are the same sets available in braille scale too?
They are in 1/72 as well. It was an oversight on AirDoc's part to print 1/48 decals :cheers:

White outline letters are not so common, there is a set of various colored outlined numbers from Techmod (I think it is Techmod), but I will check for a red/white 'D' if desired.

Edited by Chuck1945
Chuck,

My bad, that should be a red "R" with a white outline. These seem to be real elusive, I've got several sheets with letters but just don't have the R.

Damn, and I did find some white outlined, red Ds , even a yellow outline red D. Back to the 'cave' to look again.

Other options:

a. take a white R of appropriate size and paint the red inside

b. take a red R and apply over a white decal base. Trim the white to size.

Option b would probably give you a cleaner R, assuming your brush painting skills are like mine.

• 4 weeks later...

We'll see, I may end up doing a B-24.

One of my wife's patients flew with the 449th BG, 717 Squadron, out of Italy and was shot down and wound up a POW for the rest of the war. I'm hoping to find out what aircraft he was flying today. I'd like to build it and present it to him as a gift.