Other photography besides aviation

The outlaws from Texas were visiting the other day...so did this while we were standing and looking out the dining room window. Soon it will be warm enough again to wash the glass on the patio door!

IMG_9361ecv8.jpg

IMG_9369ecv.jpg

Yesterday we noticed that the Garter Snakes are emerging.

IMG_0434ec5.jpg

Thanks Ish. I hope you get to return one day. I really love going to NYC. There is always something to do and no matter how many times I have been there there is always something new. Last year I saw an MTV free concert in Times Square featuring Rihanna and yesterday I got to see President Obama. Well, I got to see President obama in his motorcade going pass me.

Here is a link to a few more pictures of the city for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39797696@N00/

• 3 weeks later...

The wind made for some interesting background bokeh.

05-19-2011_purpletulip_wm.jpg

05-19-2011_yellow_rhodo_wm.jpg (some intentional vignetting)

05-19-2011_orange_hibiscus2_wm.jpg

05-02-2011_pink_white_tulip_wm.jpg

05-02-2011_red_tulips_bokeh_wm.jpg

wind blew the grass around, but kept the tulips steady enough.

05-18-2011_purple-variegated_wm.jpg

05-18-2011_pink-variegated_wm.jpg

And that has been my last few weeks...that I've managed to get out and do something. I can't wait to get my 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro - which is going to be in my hands roughly around October. :woot.gif:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

There are some seriously cool images in ths thread. Kudos to everyone :thumbsup:

Permit me to lower the standard a little by posting a couple of snaps if I may. :P

I've recently taken to riding to work and the warm, sunny weather has offered up some beautiful scenes so I took my pocket camera with me and captured a few shots.

Asunnydayatwork.jpg

Ponies.jpg

TheMill.jpg

Poppies.jpg

Photographing white subjects against dark water poses a problem for this fully automatic camera though. The contrast is tough to deal with on these Mute swans.

Swans1.jpg

Swans5.jpg

Swans3.jpg

Swans2.jpg

I hope you enjoy these and I'm very open to help and advice for ways to improve. Any tips, criticism or comments are welcome including help with exposure, framing or post editing.

Cheers.

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

Nice shots Guy!..the top couple and the flower one especially.

Looks like you have a very scenic little route on your way to work,all I see around me on my way to work are other cars! :lol:

Cheer's,

Jeff.

The Lady Washington at the Ships to Shore 2011 in Garry Point Park, Richmond, BC.

249653_10150272821965295_730735294_9494094_6815204_n.jpg

The Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain trading broadsides

254852_10150272203405295_730735294_9486299_5463562_n.jpg

and yes, they're both also flying Vancouver Canucks flags too. Sorry Booins...no love here.

247195_10150272179985295_730735294_9486026_2428649_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

FalconRose Photography@500px As I get more portfolio quality shots, I'll divide them into collections.

Finally got around to messing around with the 500px portfolio creator. Here's the end result. More photos to come.

For those who want to know more about 500px, it's a Flickr alternative for professional and serious amateur photographers (yeah, yeah, we're elitist snobs...~self-deprecating grin~). You can check them out at http://www.500px.com if you're interested. Hey, wakko and plasticweapons. YOU two might wanna check 'em out as an alternative to Flickr.

Edited by The_Animal

Animal, did you have to pay for that setup for your page?

can you add things and develop them into different ablums and pages?

Zero...it costs $50.00/year to set it up into different albums and pages (that ability comes with the "Awesome" upgrade, but the basic one album "portfolio" setup comes free.

Check them out if you're interested. http://www.500px.com

Ken, your stuff is amazing. I'd say the last two shots of the bears hunting for fish, would get a great reception on 500px...on par with the wildlife photogs who do this for a living.

And Gerald, yours too...as always...

. Saving up slowly for that 50-500mm Sigma OS. Watch for eagle shots in the future. :D

The Animal,

LOVELY photos.... :thumbsup:

Thanks, Holmes, I was RUTHLESS with my editing. I didn't want to bring down the over-all quality of 500px, otherwise. :D

Edited by The_Animal

Know your Cormorants (of the feathered type, not the rotary winged type)

A pelagic cormorant shaking off it's feathers. I think this wildlife photography is starting to make me somewhat of a bird enthusiast.

227268_10150253887220295_730735294_9310388_6052009_n.jpg

4846204113_023f923e88_z.jpg - note color of beak - pure black as opposed to yellow for the double-crested

A double crested cormorant showing off on an excrement encovered pier (anybody for some lunch after this or did the poop turn you off?)

2007-03-04_shaking_off_the_rain_rs_.jpg

Love those cormorants. I'm actually seeing them more around the Lower Mainland than Great Blues Herons.

Now, if I could ever get my sorry butt to CFB Comox, I could take pictures of the Phalacrocorax Rotarius Sonitus - yeah...the latin word for the CH-149

Edited by The_Animal