Other photography besides aviation

Excellent, lovely lenses, I'm rather envious, my dad has a 600mm but rarely uses it apparently, he finds it a pita to carry around (he does his photography on long walks so has to carry everything)

How the devil are you both anyway, been a long time!

600mm are hefty lenses to lug around. My current camera and 100-400mm lens comes in at just a tad over 5 lbs. I use a Cotton Carrier to carry my cameras. Here I am with just my main camera, the wife is using my backup to shoot this picture. Having used it at AirVenture, hiking and climbing and at other events I'm sold on it.

P1490793ec5.jpg

Excellent, lovely lenses, I'm rather envious, my dad has a 600mm but rarely uses it apparently, he finds it a pita to carry around (he does his photography on long walks so has to carry everything)

How the devil are you both anyway, been a long time!

Slowly working at building my stock photography up. :( My model kits are languishing though. :wasntme:

And Gerald, the only lens that even comes close to the 100-400L f/4 (I believe it's f/4 straight through the entire focal length) by Canon is the 200-400 f/4 that Nikon makes and that's an f/4 straight through plus the Nikon 200-400mm is $7000+ and if I'm going to drop that kind of money on a lens, I'll just go and get the 600. :P Besides, I can always throw it onto my kid's jogging (all terrain stroller) when my kid decides that she's going to learn to walk. Nikon does make a 80-400 but that's an f/4.5-5.6 lens and I've noticed that for flying shots of birds, you need the speed. Hence the reason I want to go at the very least speed-wise f/4. I could throw a TC-20EIII (2X extender) on my 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, but that would still drop it 2 stops down to f/5.6 at the 400mm range.

Edited by The_Animal
I'd have to ask him what he uses, for what its worth, here's one of my favourites of his;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartcarlton...17459/lightbox/

I love Raptors. You might want to tell him to start copyrighting his images. Unless he doesn't mind others snatching them off Flickr and using them for profit. Money he could use himself.

Here's one of our neighborhood Red Tailed Hawks.

IMG_5716ec5.jpg

towersatnight.jpg

600mm are hefty lenses to lug around. My current camera and 100-400mm lens comes in at just a tad over 5 lbs. I use a Cotton Carrier to carry my cameras. Here I am with just my main camera, the wife is using my backup to shoot this picture. Having used it at AirVenture, hiking and climbing and at other events I'm sold on it.

P1490793ec5.jpg

Your photo reminds me of Richard D. Thomas.

I'll wait to do a portrait like Gerald's until December 2013 or January 2014 (estimated date that my wife has planned financially for the purchase of our new Nikon AF-S 600mm f/4). The tripod to support the BEAST (a Gitzo GT5541LS + a Wimberley WH200 (gimbal head)+ attachment plate for the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII (why? for such a small lens...because I don't trust my Manfrotto 190XB to take the weight of the 70-200 f/2.8 and if I'm going to eventually save up for the 600/4, then I might as well go whole hog and buy the Gitzo instead of going up to the Manfrotto 055XPROB and then having to buy the Gitzo to accommodate the 600.) is being bought first October 2011. :thumbsup:

Edited by The_Animal
Was gonna try out landscape possibly, i enjoy shooting cities also. This is what happens when g0 doesnt have planes too shoot. Anyone else have any tips? Will post some pics of my attempts

I kinda move around a lot from year to year. I still shoot lots and lots of black & whites (considered to be the real test). Shoot a lot of music venues, but can't say I'm great at it. Also like shooting close up photographry, and macro as well. Year before last it was bugs and flowers. Before that it was sunsets and scenic stuff. I want to really make a serious effort in the near future doing portraits in B&W with my Pentax 645. Also things that are wet intriges me, but moisture and digital cameras are a no no! I plan on doing more film this year than I have in the last couple years. I wish somebody would build a camera body that would go down to an ISO 25.

As I've said in the past I shoot with two Fuji Pro's and a couple other digital cameras. I shoot a lot with a little bitty I am a spammer....please report this post. pocket camera, and I'm seriously looking at an Olympus that's about 20% bigger. I like the glass that I am a spammer....please report this post. uses better than just about anything I have ever used in the past, and there's a constant rumor going around that Pentax will switch over to Schineder glass as well. If they do, they will make a big move up the ladder!

gary

Landscapes, nature and wildlife.. I still prefer my mamiya 645 and a tripod for most of that.. can't beat medium format film for some things.. at least until I break old habits.

For action, I use a canon 40D that I got last fall as an early Christmas gift.. it's really quick and versatile.

jack

No matter what you claim in mega pixels, and this gadgit and that; you'll always be playing catch to a good medium format camera. I shoot with a 645N. Now I'm back in the hunt for a new film lab, but may just invest in my own stuff. I have an Omega 670 enlarger and enough doodads to keep me busy for the rest of my days on this planet

gary

Gary, As much as I'd love to play with a medium format camera, the outlay that I'd have to invest in (with regards to a light meter and all the other gizmos and doodads to go along with it. I'll just happily play with my D300s. :P :thumbsup: You ever try to carry one of those out to the back country? I'm sure even Ansel Adams was swearing his head off when he was shooting his photos.

Edited by The_Animal
Gary, As much as I'd love to play with a medium format camera, the outlay that I'd have to invest in (with regards to a light meter and all the other gizmos and doodads to go along with it. I'll just happily play with my D300s. :worship: :) You ever try to carry one of those out to the back country? I'm sure even Ansel Adams was swearing his head off when he was shooting his photos.

Try carrying one in a T-33 chasing ANG F-4Cs around at 29K feet!

Here are some of ermmm mine, did this for the owner... ignore the ermn clutter in the background..

TriumphWPaper.jpg

Some wildlife, 1st a Dragonfly

Dragonfly.jpg

next a Wagtail chick, they hang around my hangar, this is on the apron, and shows any background can work.

PiedWagtailsmall.jpg

Went to recover an aircraft and they had a track day running where you can driver some exotica.

FerrariBrunty.jpg

FerrariBrunty1.jpg

Next...... they have a show near me where you get re-enactors roleplaying, they dig trenches etc and set them out with period equipment, they also have a major battle going with tanks airsupport etc. fantastic day out, a shot from it, could post more, Vulcan did big pyro bombing mission too..

GermanVictoryshow2009.jpg

Could post a load of UK from the AIR ;)

Edited by TonyT

Was photographing TBM Socata bussiness turboprop for a private company today and when we finished, we went out for a short flight in one of their C172s to make some panoramic shots of the surrounding area.

A dash through Blejski Vintgar (Bled canyon)

_BEN8758.jpg

And our Alpine pearl - the famous Bled lake with island and Karavanke Alps in the background

_BEN8751s.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As Laci's birthday approaches, our thoughts turn to the cousin we've lost. There is a programme from her memorial service that only family members have that was given to us by one of our cousins.

227098_10150237774530295_730735294_9158211_2904839_n.jpg

Laci Denise Rocha (May 4, 1975 c. December 24, 2002)

Here's my photographic interpretation.

and #2

228565_10150238729515295_730735294_9165999_1212661_n.jpg

Edited by The_Animal

Lately most of my photography have been from my volunteer job with a Siberian Husky Rescue:

_MG_9527A001.jpg

_MG_8419A001.jpg

But I also get to car shows in the summer:

_MG_5694A0019.jpg

_MG_5660A0020.jpg

_MG_2103A.jpg

Hand to sneak in a shot of my old car

And I shoot planes from time to time as well (trying for a more dramatic shot, not sure if I got it):

_MG_2792A2.jpg

Edited by waylandcool

Here are a few of mine

Sunrise over LI sound. Shot with my old Minolta 70

SoundSunrise-vi.jpg

Little Goldfinch givin me the evil eye.

12252007033-vi.jpg

Bannerman's Island Arsenal in the Hudson River.

IMG_5374_NEW-vi.jpg

The "Kids"

Rock3-vi.jpg

John Force at Englishtown in 2008

ETownDay2739-vi.jpg

Doc

I´ve been goofying around with my new D3100 and among the hundreds of pics I´ve taken this weekend I suppose these are my favorites.

First the miniature effect pic taken from my balcony.

miniatyrbil.jpg

Then a little view of the cityscape of Gothenburg showing behind a cemetary I have across my balcony, spring time is here :D

DSC_0021.jpg

A sunset pic...

DSC_0028.jpg

I like this after sunset pic.... it´s edited in PS

DSC_0081.jpg

And I tried to take a starscape... I think it´s rather bad but still I see the stars at least.

Stjrnhimmel.jpg

Hope to show some improvement in a while tho :D

Cheers