Thanks for the kind words.. my first time redoing a cockpit to this extent so I'm sure it can definitely be improved. Here's an update.

Italeri doesn't include any fans so I got some spares from an Academy A10 and cut them to size. I'll eventually be cutting them down to exact circles.

2210723920_9e2e61957d_o.jpg

Cracking job there ;)

On the real su-27 series, do they all have that undercaridge bulge pertuding into the intake tunnel, the two lumps just before the fan faces?

Yes - it' part of the mainwheel well wall - but it is bigger on the Su-34 - to accommodate the larger tandem twin mainwheels.

Su-27.....

su-27_04.jpg

Su-34...

su-34_05.jpg

su-34_06.jpg

Ken

Was looking around other threads and I'm thinking of correcting italeri's rear stabilizers.

__________________8_2______________.jpg

Was wondering if any other 1/72 kits have the correct ones? It seems like some major work is involved.

Sausage,

The reason that Italeri got the fins wrong is that the original Su-27IB prototype had the taller, Su-27UB fins....

su-27ib_01.jpg

The 'production' Su-34 reverted to the shorter, single-seat-style Su-27 fins....

su-32_10.jpg

On my model Su-34's, I just replaced the kit fins with those from a single-seat Su-27 kit - see :- http://66.226.87.135/flankers.htm

I don't understand what you mean by "other 1/72 kits have the correct ones?"

AFAIK, there is only one Su-34 kit - the Italeri one - re-boxed by Revell & Tamiya.

Cheers

Ken

PS - If you want to check out the bewildering variety of Flanker fins - see my Flankers website at :- http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/flankers_pages/fins.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Was wondering how the main gear retracts. Does anyone have a photo of the gear going into the bay? Anyway now I'm detailing the anchor point of the gear that attaches to the protrusion just below the engine area. Italeri gave a stub where the main gear connects but I'll be opening it up.

Was wondering how the main gear retracts. Does anyone have a photo of the gear going into the bay? Anyway now I'm detailing the anchor point of the gear that attaches to the protrusion just below the engine area. Italeri gave a stub where the main gear connects but I'll be opening it up.

Not a particularly good photo - but it demonstrates how the wheels rotate to lie horizontal in the bay - same as on a 'normal' Flanker....

su-34_06.jpg

Ken