O/T: Battlestar Galactica mid-season finale

Hey.....all you new BSG guys.

Is Boomer in the new series?

Paul,

Do you mean the...uhm...how do you say African American guy in space where there is no Africa or America...from the original show or the babe (who is a cylon - so there are lots of her) in the new show?

She is the Korean American actress in the babe discussion down the page here.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=153311

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts
As I see it- Earth really had to be desolate/destroyed when they got there.

Continuity wise- how would they have dealt with exact similarities of language, writing ,etc? In the classic Battlestar series, I don't even think they tried to address this, but that was 80's cheese for you.

As long as they don't steal CHP motorcycles and make them fly in the last 10 episodes...Galactica 1980 still makes my stomach turn and I was only 15 when it was on and knew it was bad

Matt

Paul,

Do you mean the...uhm...how do you say African American guy in space where there is no Africa or America...from the original show or the babe (who is a cylon - so there are lots of her) in the new show?

She is the Korean American actress in the babe discussion down the page here.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=153311

Matt

Yeah....Boomer is the black guy....

Now he is a Korean chick?

Oh God, I really hate this remake now.

Hey, now, BSG is pretty good drama, action, and entertainment. Regardless of how you felt about the original characters (I loved Face-Man as much as you all did!!), it is damn good programming. Season 1 and 2 are without a doubt some of THE best programming ever. Season 3 less so, but Season 4 is back to its previous strengths.

It's one thing to say "Oh, poo, that sounds bad" but if you'd watched it from the start you'd have been hooked instantly.

As for Earth: I was wondering about whether or not they settle there and become modern humanity, or what, but the music and time through space bit makes a lot of sense. Doesn't make much sense in regards to the viper and Starbuck reappearing or any of that, but still.

Irradiated or not, it's still Earth! There has to be large areas on some continents that are habitable, can be cultivated, etc.

I think the real question is: Who is the 5th Cylon? Why did Deanna only say there were 4 cylons in the fleet, not 5?

Can't be Rosslyn, she's dying. Cylons don't die of cancer.

Can't be Baltar. We've already established he's not one (with his whole existential bout earlier)

I'm seriously unhappy about Tigh/Tyrrell. Seems too contrived. Tyrrell is one of my favorites.

A thought I had: What about Dee? Most of the sleeper cylons have been placed in such a way to rip out the heart of a confirmed human and stomp on his/her emotions. Lee has avoided much of this. This doesn't explain why she wasn't "triggered" with the others. My only other guess: the 5th wasn't on Gallactica, so couldn't make the meeting.

Starbuck is a logical guess, as well. She disappeared, came back with a new viper supplied by the gods, etc, etc. How she hasn't been locked up with the 6 I don't know.

Regardless, maybe Deanna didn't count Starbuck because she's too hard-core. She's been written off.

There was one episode where Felix Gaeta was in the infirmary with his leg amputated, and he was humming or singing a tune. Wasn't that the same tune that he Tigh, Tyrol, Anders, and Tory heard.

Or am I hearing things? Does anyone else hear that? :salute:

D'anna indicated that only 4 of the 5 were in the fleet, and I took it to mean that the 5th was somewhere on the base star at that moment (or somehow elsewhere?). Her comment went by quickly, but I noticed it.

D'anna indicated that only 4 of the 5 were in the fleet, and I took it to mean that the 5th was somewhere on the base star at that moment (or somehow elsewhere?). Her comment went by quickly, but I noticed it.

Since I doubt that she could sense their locations remotely, that implies that it's someone she saw was already on the basestar before she made the comment. I think the only colonials she saw (that the audience saw her seeing) were Roslin, Baltar, and Helo. I don't think it's Roslin or Baltar, so that would imply that it's Helo. That would be consistent. The fact that the Six in the brig is pregnant by Tigh implies that Cylons can conceive if one of the partners is one of the Final Five, so that would explain how Helo and Sharon had Hera.

I love this thread......

well if waco is this 5th cylon, just think what that does to our national security. maybe that's why earth is the way it was when they discovered it. I would love to fly the old school cylon raider.

There was one episode where Felix Gaeta was in the infirmary with his leg amputated, and he was humming or singing a tune. Wasn't that the same tune that he Tigh, Tyrol, Anders, and Tory heard.

Or am I hearing things? Does anyone else hear that? :D

i'm not positive because i deleted that episode so i can't go back and check, but i think he was singing something else. the song they heard was "All Along the Watchtower" he was singing something that sounded like an old sailors song. i could be wrong though.

Bill

Hey, now, BSG is pretty good drama, action, and entertainment. Regardless of how you felt about the original characters (I loved Face-Man as much as you all did!!), it is damn good programming. Season 1 and 2 are without a doubt some of THE best programming ever. Season 3 less so, but Season 4 is back to its previous strengths.

It's one thing to say "Oh, poo, that sounds bad" but if you'd watched it from the start you'd have been hooked instantly.

I saw the pilot and a few of the subsequent episodes....and hated it from the beginning.

I was super stoked when they were talking about redoing it.....but come on. They really took things over the top with this one

I think the real question is: Who is the 5th Cylon?

I am the fifth Cylon.

Why did Deanna only say there were 4 cylons in the fleet, not 5?

Because I'm not in the fleet, I'm sitting right here at my desk!

I saw the pilot and a few of the subsequent episodes....and hated it from the beginning.

I was super stoked when they were talking about redoing it.....but come on. They really took things over the top with this one

Dude- don't let the change in casting get to you. Your telling me you would PREFER an exact duplicate casting? Get past your own paradigms of how a show should look and enjoy the ride. :D

We know 100% it's not Helo. Why? Because we know Sharon's a cylon, and they had a half-human, half-cylon baby.

Not Helo.

Then again, the "final 5" are able to reproduce (Tyrrell, Tigh) which totally rips a hole in the entire 1st/2nd/3rd season plots about cylons not being able to give birth.

P.S. Does it show that I ***HATE*** that they just arbitrarily said "You, you're a cylon, okay?" to Tigh and Tyrrell? Because, just in case it wasn't clear, I HATE that they did this!

Edited by Mark M.

i think they basically just threw darts at a board and whoevers name it hit, BAM you're a cylon, now let's write that in. i never thought about the giving birth aspect, but you're right, that was the main reason they were taking humans. oh well, why worry about minor things like plot continuity or logic or even taste in some instances, this is drama! i'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt.

We know 100% it's not Helo. Why? Because we know Sharon's a cylon, and they had a half-human, half-cylon baby.

Not Helo.

Then again, the "final 5" are able to reproduce (Tyrrell, Tigh) which totally rips a hole in the entire 1st/2nd/3rd season plots about cylons not being able to give birth.

P.S. Does it show that I ***HATE*** that they just arbitrarily said "You, you're a cylon, okay?" to Tigh and Tyrrell? Because, just in case it wasn't clear, I HATE that they did this!

It could be that everyone assumes that the baby is half-human, half-cylon because they know Sharon is a cylon and they assume that Helo is human. I don't recall that they ever found any medical test to differentiate between humans and cylon, and maybe the Final Five are more closer to human. Any special characteristics of the child could just as easily be written off as a result of the pairing of a Final Five cylon with a non-Final Five cylon as between a human and a cylon. Who knows, since they have never explained what the FF are?

It may just be me, but I'd take the hottie Korean chick over the black guy any day of the week.

Spongebob

You managed to be racist and sexist in one sentace LOL! :coolio: At least you got your orientation figured out :thumbsup:

Now that Tyrol's been outed, everybody should be all over Nicky. Hera is considered to be so important for having a (presumably) human father - Helo - and a Cylon mother - Sharon. Nicky has a Cylon father - Tyrol - and a human mother - Cally. Saul, Sam and Tory have no kids (so far, that we know of...), so don't you think someone might want to check out Nicky? Or does machinery only inherit through the X chromosome?

Dude- don't let the change in casting get to you. Your telling me you would PREFER an exact duplicate casting? Get past your own paradigms of how a show should look and enjoy the ride. :cheers:

Just can win with you people

I get lambasted for not giving the show a chance and I tell you that I did watch the first five episodes and didn't care for it.

Then I get dragged over the coals for not liking it.

frak it

Edited by paul.nortness
Just can't win with you people

I get lambasted for not giving the show a chance and I tell you that I did watch the first five episodes and didn't care for it.

Then I get dragged over the coals for not liking it.

frak it

There is only one option. Join the CoV. We're going to solve all these problems.

Lori and I haven't bothered and now I really am happy we haven't bothered....

:whistle:

MikeJ

It's unfortunate, as you've missed a bright point in TV Sci-Fi. Good writing, interesting and mind puzzling plot points, uncomfortable close parallels to modern issues (sci-fi being a good mirror to hold up to our own modern situations and examine them from a different, yet easily familiar perspective), and yes, some really good space battle sequences. Not enough for some, but I feel that if it was nothing but "shooty shooty bang bang" every week it would be like watching somebody play a video game! You also missed out on some serious fantastic spaceships in the new series.

BSG, like Star Trek Voyager, and The Fugitive and Lost and other shows like that all suffer from the "Gilligan's Island" scenario: The show has a single point it makes: Reaching a goal. Be it finding Earth, or the One Armed Man, or getting off the island, they all have to end the same: Once the goal is reached, the show is over. I'm glad to see BSG didn't take that route, and will have to deal with "getting what you want", and having it turn to dust once you have. (I am deliberately omitting Galactica 80, as the whole thing with the flying motorcycles and time travelling Vipers, let alone the Super Scouts is enough to give me the heebee jeebies!)

One thing that seems to bother a lot of people with the new series is the darker tone it takes. Humans don't come across as particularly heroic in the new show, in fact, they are affected by all the petty, selfish, cowardly aspects that plague us today. I think this is why the show is as popular as it is however, as it injects a believability to the characters, as well as allowing the viewer to think that perhaps they would be smarter than the characters. I'd also like the thank the producers for not having Boxie in more than two episodes, and no Daggits ever!

Alvis 3.1