Mil V-12 'Homer'

Long sessions of filling, sanding, spray primer. check that the joint line is gone, add more filler, sand some more etc etc.....

It now looks OK - as far as I can tell - but I don't like those windows.......... :woot.gif:

V-12%20032.jpg

I have re-scribed the sanded-off panel lines and masked the windows with Tamiya tape - no Eduard masks on this one......

V-12%20033.jpg

The V-12 always looks odd to me - with that navigator's cockpit perched on top.

It looks like the main cockpit, but it isn't.....

day06_038.jpg

Ken

On the intakes you are looking for on the engines.

How about if you took bomb halfs and cut off most of the front and what is left is the small end that kinda looks like a little air scoop. With the taper you might need.

Build looks good, ready for paint yet? :woot.gif:

Resin Builder

Ken,

I remember the Bounder kit you built fit reasonably well for a short run kit. Is it true that the part fits of the v-12 has regressed since the Bounder?

Regardless of part fit, I seriously thought about buying this kit. But since the only place big enough to put the finished model is in the pantry (guess how much the wife welcomes that idea?), I'd take a pass on it this time.

It's fun watching you build it, though.

Cheers,

Terry

Ken,

I remember the Bounder kit you built fit reasonably well for a short run kit. Is it true that the part fits of the v-12 has regressed since the Bounder?

Terry,

The Bounder fuselage was circular, with just a small injection-moulded nose section.

The Homer is much bigger in cross-section and is square with rounded corners - so the mis-match is more pronounced.

In other words, you can't just pop the cockpit section onto the fuselage and expect a Tamigawa fit - you have to 'fix' the join.

I had the same problem with the Il-76 I made.... but that was resin-to-resin.....

il-76_43.jpg

The fit of the rest of the parts on both kits is about the same (at least so far!) - except for the windows.

The arrangement of just push-fitting them into recesses is a bit poor - Amodel should at least have provided a 'ledge' on the inside for the glazing to rest on or, better yet, made the whole windscreen as one part.

Ho-hum.......

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
On the intakes you are looking for on the engines.

How about if you took bomb halfs and cut off most of the front and what is left is the small end that kinda looks like a little air scoop. With the taper you might need.

That's what I am thinking of doing.

Looking at my pics of the engines (it's difficult to see the intakes when you are stood on the ground 15ft below!) - Amodels shape looks a bit off - there seems to be a raised ridge at the front top going down from the rotor housing to the front intakes.

Amodel just have a flat top section - but I ain't going to touch it - no-one will ever know..... :thumbsup:

Build looks good, ready for paint yet? :D

Resin Builder

I was just about to put a coat of primer (Halfords White Plastic Primer automotive rattle-can) onto the front fuselage to see if my join and windows looked OK - when I discovered I am right out......

I'll have to take a trip into town tomorrow...

Cheers

Ken

Injection-moulded flaps (2 part + 4 brackets) added to fibreglass-resin 'wings'....

V-12%20034.jpg

The undercarriage legs are in two halves, with pivotting twin-wheel axle and compression strut.

The location looks a bit weak, so I drilled out the axle joint and used brass rod for strength....

V-12%20035.jpg

....resulting in this.....

V-12%20036.jpg

Parts plus assembled fuel tank and heat exchanger - there are two sets of these...

V-12%20037.jpg

Ken

Amodel's instruction sheet would have you adding the 'wings', then all the struts (14 each side!), undercarriage, fuel tanks etc.

I reasoned that doing it like that would make it almost impossible to paint the fuselage with all the struts in the way, so I am adding the strut mounting brackets, the heat exchangers, the fuel tank brackets (but not the tanks) - so that I have an assembled fuselage, wings, tailplanes, fin and all the brackets on the fuselage, so I can then paint & decal it.

I will then add the struts, undercarriage & tanks later.....

This is the fuselage - with the fin and heat exchanger in place - plus some of the many brackets.....

V-12%20038.jpg

V-12%20039.jpg

Each tiny bracket has to be indentified on the sprue from the layout silhouette, then removed from the sprue, cleaned up (they are tiny! :lol: ) and attached in turn.

I am doing them one-at-a-time so I don't mix them up - some of the struts need to have tiny brackets attached at each end - and a corresponding bracket added to the fuselage...... this one attaches to the undercarriage leg at the bottom end...

V-12%20040.jpg

I haven't lost a tiny bracket to the carpet monster yet ........ :pray:

Building this model is like going from butchery at one extreme to micro-surgery at the other...... :tease:

But I am getting lots of bangs for my bucks...... :tease:

Ken

Do not mock the Carpet Monster !!!! :woot.gif:

For it is quick to anger..........

No sooner had I written in my last post..... I haven't lost a tiny bracket to the carpet monster yet ........ :pray:

.....when I was adding another tiny bracket - and PING! - off it went out of the tweezers and onto the floor somewhere.

I made several offerings to the Carpet Monster :worship: crawling on my hands and knees muttering 'I am sorry!' - but to no avail.

I searched for ages, but I can't find the part :crying2:

I had commited the unforgiveable sin of taking the Monster for granted.

I have now had to pay due penance - scratch-building a tiny, tiny replacement bracket from plastic card.

I am now going to don sackcloth and ashes (no I don't know what it means either??) and repeat a hundred times......

I must not take the Carpet Monster for granted......

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

All the major components are assembled - apart from the myriad of trusses and the rotors......

As soon as I temporarily fit in place the rear ramp and doors, it is ready for the first coat of Halfords White Plastic Primer.....

V-12%20041.jpg

Does it remind you of anything ???

It looks to me like the 'Drop Ship' from Alien......

V-12%20042.jpg

.....just pivot those engine nacelles.....

Ken

Does it remind you of anything ???

It looks to me like the 'Drop Ship' from Alien......

In some degree, yes!

Ken, now that you've built quite many of these Amonsters, which one would you recommend as the first kit for someone who has never laid his hand on them? Let's imagine that the ease of build would be the main decisive factor.

In some degree, yes!

Ken, now that you've built quite many of these Amonsters, which one would you recommend as the first kit for someone who has never laid his hand on them? Let's imagine that the ease of build would be the main decisive factor.

I am guessing M-50...

I think I measured it out once, but if you measure it from rotor disk to rotor disk, at its widest point it's only a touch smaller that a B-36. :crying2:

My kind of chopper!

I have just got around to taking in the measurements.....

Rotor diameter is 35m / 114ft 10in

Double it - 70m / 229ft 8in

Subtract a 3m / 9ft 10in overlap.....

That gives a 'span' for the V-12 of 67m or 219ft 10in :thumbsup:

The wingspan of a B-36 is 230ft !

Ken

This is really an amazing build...

I love those russian monsters...

If is it possible, could you take a picture with this beast in your hands ? :rofl:

thank you very much

Rafael Winter

Ah! the wonders of modern digital photography..........

V-12%20043.jpg

Set the camera up, put it on self-timer, change the T-shirt, step in front of the camera - bingo!!!

Ken

PS - I forgot to breathe in !!! ;)

For a 1/72 aeroplane it would be BIG, but for a 1/72 helicopter it's just HUUUGE! Just think about the overall width when the rotors are installed... (or can you talk about wingspan on this case since it has wings) although they end well before the rotortips).

Whilst waiting for the white primer coat to dry, I made a start on the rotor hubs.

On the real thing they are taken from the Mi-6, although they are 'handed' - they rotate in opposite directions...

This photo shows the parts (left) and the made-up hub (right).....

V-12%20044.jpg

I am making (throwing together quickly!) a Mi-2 to go next to the V-12 - as seen in publicity photos.

It shows the scale of things......

V-12%20045.jpg

Ken