Modem "thingie" on a A-10 AIM-9 rail

I think here's a picture of Sniper (I think) (edit: just re-read your first post and saw that you were talking about an ACMI looking pod....SADL and Sniper definately ain't it. What Waco posted looks to be it, except that doesn't look like a hollowed out jamming pod like the article said. It looks like a hollowed out ACMI pod. Then again he might be talking about the pod on the other wing...)

hogs_06.jpg

It's part of the Precision Engagement (PE) program upgrading all A-10s to A-10Cs.

062607-F-0602B-001.jpg

hogs_04.jpg

From an article in Code One:

Most of the changes are related to avionics. The A-10 is now wired to carry either the Lockheed Martin AN/AAQ-33(v) Sniper XR or the Northrop Grumman AN/AAQ-28 Litening AT advanced targeting pod. The upgrade also includes an uprated 1760 data bus running to six of the aircraft’s eleven weapon stations, which enables the A-10 to carry the GBU-31/32/38 Joint Direct Attack Munition series and the CBU-103/104/105 Wind-Corrected Munitions Dispenser; upgraded DC power converters; and a digital stores management system.

The Situational Awareness Data Link, or SADL, is also part of the upgrade. "Being a guy who never flew with a radar, seeing the SADL picture is magic," Baker observes. "We share data, and it is all secure. With SADL, you don’t necessarily have to input target coordinates manually. I just slave the targeting pod to what I’m looking at, and the system figures out the coordinates. Then I can send that information to the other jets so everyone is looking at the same thing."

In the cockpit, the A-10C pilot has two five- by five-inch color multifunction displays with a moving map as well as a new control stick and throttle. "The jet was all analog and manual before," notes Marino. "I had to reach up to the instrument panel and throw switches and push buttons to drop a bomb. Now, I can change the switch positions and drop weapons without taking my hands off the throttle or stick."

Edited by Fred Garvin
So, you can't talk on a cell phone while driving on a base but you can talk on 2 while you fly?

Spongebob

The hands-free device is part of the A-10C upgrade, making the A-10 pilot fully compliant with USAF cell phone regs.

Jake

• 3 years later...